Dobe & Owner Need Advice

jasonl

I have a lovely dobermann called Jezz, he will be 2 years old in December.

I have had Jezz since he was about 10 weeks old, he is a really lovely dog, with the best temperament I have ever seen.

The trouble is that me and my partner both work.
My parents live very close and let Jezz out at lunchtimes, but other than that he is left all alone with just the radio as company.

We live in town and so he only has basic walks around the park/streets most days, but two or three times a week we do try and take him off into the forest where he can run for all his worth.
But after an hour or two of running around in the forest he is still not tired.

When we (me/my partner) are at home Jezz is ALWAYS wanting attention, he is fully in your face wanting to be played with, there is no peace.
Please do not get me wrong, I am not angry at him for this, I understand why he is like this.

The reason for writing on here is to get some advice.

I have been thinking of getting Jezz rehomed, to a family that can spend more time with him, and show him more attention.
Whilst thinking about this, I know it is the easy answer, and I know it is probably good for him as well as us, but it churns me up inside, I really would miss him so.

As an alternative I have been wondering if another dog may be an answer, they could keep each other company during the day and play with each other when out and in the evenings.
Not another Dobermann but a fast small dog.

The question is, would this work? or am I just escalating the problem.

Please give me some advice, as I dont want to loose this great friend, but at the same time I want to do what is best for HIM. :confused:

Danielle

I have somewhat of a similar problem. I have a german shorthaired pointer and boy is she energetic. She could literally play all day long! I work from home and she is always waiting for me to entertain her. One thing I've learned is that you really have to put your foot down when they keep yearning for attention or entertainment. That doesn't mean you love them any less, it just means that they have to learn to entertain themselves and not be so dependent on others. But in terms of the energy levels.... my dog is also 2 and most people still assume she's a puppy because of her playfulness and speed. But, I've been told that after the 2 year mark, dogs do start to slow down and won't be as demanding for the same amount of exercise as they were in the first two years. Consider them puppies up until 2, and then they start to mature. If you're thinking of getting a playmate for your dog, I would strongly suggest that you seek out a dog walker in your area. My dog was part of a group of 4-5 other dogs that were taken out every day for a run. There is nothing more exhausting than playing with other dogs. My dog was gone 2-3 hours since the walker had to pick up each dog and drive them to a leash-free park. They ran for an hour and then were driven home again. My dog was beat after that. And it was sooo helpful to me while I was working away from home. Giving up your dog would be very difficult. Be patient and know that your dog will mature and if you want a playmate, look for walkers in the area. That would take a real load off your back and your dog will love you for it!!

jasonl

Yes, dont get me wrong I do put my foot down, he knows his place and he is treated as dog not a human. But he does deserve more attention.

When you talk about getting him a playmate, you suggest temporary playmates to go on walks with.
What are your thoughts on getting him a live in playmate?
Or am I just heading for more problems?

Danielle

Well, getting another dog can go both ways. My neighbor has two dogs and they feed off each other's energy. One always eggs the other on. However, they do play together so I'm sure that exhausts them. But, depending on the dogs, sometimes they can be more of a handful. Some dogs are great at playing by themselves and others are not. But, I guess that's got a lot to do with how they've been trained. If you do get another dog, maybe get one that's not as active because that might rub off on your doberman. And, I wouldn't get a puppy either. I'd get a grown dog that has already somewhat matured. A playmate for your dog could be a great thing!

pitbulliest

I'm not familiar with any of these facilities..but how about doggy daycare? If you have enough..and are willing to spend some money you can put him into one where he will be able to socialize with other dogs..and people as well..I'm sure people who have experienced it will probably have more to say..but its just a thought..

He's two years old and I realize you want what's best for him..but I'm just so sad to think that he would have to be with someone else instead of you..he seems to love you two so much and is already attached to you and has settled down in the home...and you also seem like you really care about the dog and want what's best for him..I hope you come to a good decision...but before you really do decide to rehouse him, try to come up with a better solution so that you can keep your poochie and all of you can be happy at the same time...there are alot of busy people out there that have dogs and I'm sure some of them can give you some advice...

Good Luck

Danielle

Yes, doggy daycare is a great idea. I've taken my dog to one a few times. She loved it. These daycares are becoming more and more popular so I'm sure you'll be able to find one in your area. The one I take my dog to is such a fun place. The dogs have couches to lounge on, tvs to watch and many many different dogs to play with all day long. It's such a fun environment. The downfall of course is that it's costly. But, if it helps and solves the problem then it might be worth the investment. Most of us will do just about anything for our pets even if it means dishing out the dollar bills for their happiness!!

Actually, the second dog CAN be a good solution. You need to match energy levels somewhat, and I'd strongly recommend a female (spayed!), maybe around 6 months to a year old, probably a smaller dog. That gets you over the intensive puppy-training age, but still young enough to want to play and encourage Jezz to play with her.

A good place to start looking is through rescues. They can give you a good idea of the temperament and personality and help to match you up with the perfect companion for you and Jezz.

Members online

No members online now.