Aggression............

Bailey+Ralph said:
I didn't want to mention this before b/c i wanted to see if things settled down.

Bailey is showing (for about 4 days now) some real aggresion towards Ralph.
Now i know that i did say in one of my earlier posts that i could trust Bailey 100% but....................
Ok if Ralph goes near anything (not only Baileys things) then Bailey will try to bite him.
If he comes to us then he will try to bite him (even as far as jumping up to get at him).
Also just a few minutes ago (which is why i am posting this now) Bailey couldn't get to the puppy so he tried to (I wouldn't say bite) but nip my face.

I was hoping that this would settle but it seems to be getting worse and i really don't know what to do for the best.

Obviously i love Ralph and want him here with us.
But i wouldn't want to see Bailey really hurt him and i don't feel safe with them being together unless i am standing over them (Literally).

This is so hard for me and i really don't know what to do for the best.
First, do you mind me asking why Bailey isn't neutered yet. Are you planning to do this in the near future? Not that it is a guarantee that thing will improve dramatically, but I do agree that it is something that needs doing.

Although I'm always for trying to keep a family together, you're smart to look at the safety of the wee one Ralph. While some posters gave good suggestions, your dogs are individuals and sometimes it just doesn't work and being that Bailey is such a capable big boy and Ralph will be as well, you need to know what you're headed for if it continues to escalate. Early neuter for Ralph would be a really good idea as well. I'd have to look back at his age but I would only wait long enough to ensure none of his teeth need pulling and then I have him fixed. Waiting past 10 months as in Baileys case makes for a higher level of testosterone and with your breeds can spell more dog/dog trouble.
I'd be more than happy to help you any way that I can. If you want to PM me and include the neuter info. I'm off to do a private but should be home in a few hours.

bubbatd

I personally don't see why people with breeds with personality problems , add to the issues. I don't want to be mean , but if you aren't showing and breeding , and want more dogs , adopt . It's a personal choice. I've had 10 Goldens in my care or visiting or my owns at some point. All inside under my roof without separation or any issues.... none neutered or spade... It's either a breed or owner's issue. The only encounter I ever had was when Bubba visited Elin's Yogi when evaluating at the foster home before she adopted. Yogi jabbed bubba in the " hey Dude, fight me " approach which Bubba ignored . Two weeks later when we visited Yogi at Elin's ... Bubba got out of my 4 Runner, put Yogi down submissively and they were friends forever. The enemy in some relationships is the leash. I know this isn't true in every breed . In the case of one of my Lab grand=dogs, my daughter's anxiety towards her Lab's aggression went from her to the leash to the dog. Once she used a soft muzzle , the dog was fine. He just needed reassuring as he was very potective,

bubbatd said:
I personally don't see why people with breeds with personality problems , add to the issues. I don't want to be mean , but if you aren't showing and breeding , and want more dogs , adopt .
Ok, not sure if you were talking to me then?
But i am a little confused as to what Adoption Vs buying from a Breeder has to do with this?
Sorry it is early here and i need more caffiene :D

dr2little said:
First, do you mind me asking why Bailey isn't neutered yet. Are you planning to do this in the near future? Not that it is a guarantee that thing will improve dramatically, but I do agree that it is something that needs doing.

Although I'm always for trying to keep a family together, you're smart to look at the safety of the wee one Ralph. While some posters gave good suggestions, your dogs are individuals and sometimes it just doesn't work and being that Bailey is such a capable big boy and Ralph will be as well, you need to know what you're headed for if it continues to escalate. Early neuter for Ralph would be a really good idea as well. I'd have to look back at his age but I would only wait long enough to ensure none of his teeth need pulling and then I have him fixed. Waiting past 10 months as in Baileys case makes for a higher level of testosterone and with your breeds can spell more dog/dog trouble.
I'd be more than happy to help you any way that I can. If you want to PM me and include the neuter info. I'm off to do a private but should be home in a few hours.
Bailey isn't neutered yet b/c i didn't realise that leaving it so long could make a difference IE: Testosterone levels and such.
I am however booking him in very soon. :)
Ralph (hopefully will stay with us) will be neutered as soon as he can be too :)

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
So Bailey is a 1 year and a half old and not neutered and it sounds as if he is being a "typical" intact dominant male and starting to feel his oats. From what I have encountered over the years working in the animal field with people owning two unfixed males the results have not been good and 99% of the time fighting does occur as well as leg lifting inside the home to mark territory. It may not always be violent fighting but trying to establish dominance with two potentially dog aggressive breeds could get ugly. I would have Bailey fixed ASAP along with some training and supervision from you and maybe you can turn things around, I hope you can anyways. May I ask why you didn't think to go with a female the second time around? Just asking because that is what I would have done. Good luck to you and let us know how things are going! :)

Red_ACD_for_me said:
So Bailey is a 1 year and a half old and not neutered and it sounds as if he is being a "typical" intact dominant male and starting to feel his oats. From what I have encountered over the years working in the animal field with people owning two unfixed males the results have not been good and 99% of the time fighting does occur as well as leg lifting inside the home to mark territory. It may not always be violent fighting but trying to establish dominance with two potentially dog aggressive breeds could get ugly. I would have Bailey fixed ASAP along with some training and supervision from you and maybe you can turn things around, I hope you can anyways. May I ask why you didn't think to go with a female the second time around? Just asking because that is what I would have done. Good luck to you and let us know how things are going! :)
Thanks for the advice :)

Only room in this house for 1 Bitch and that would be me :D j/k
I don't know why i didn't go for a Bitch, i have only ever really liked dogs, if that makes any sense to anyone, LOL

Bailey+Ralph said:
I don't know why i didn't go for a Bitch, i have only ever really liked dogs, if that makes any sense to anyone, LOL
It makes sense to me - I always have girls. I'm already surrounded by the sucking, swirling vortex of male need and ego without adding another member to the mix. Handily, my current girl loathes my most aggravating man, and when I get tired of dealing with him, I let the dog out.:)

Bailey+Ralph said:
Bailey isn't neutered yet b/c i didn't realise that leaving it so long could make a difference IE: Testosterone levels and such.
I am however booking him in very soon. :)
Ralph (hopefully will stay with us) will be neutered as soon as he can be too
Great! Again, not that it well be a guarantee of huge changes, but it can make quite a difference. It will take a while for Bailey to settle, (loose his test.) after this later neutering, but Ralph should be done as early as is possible.
I know you love both of your boys and want to make it work. I would make sure that no items that may cause a squabble are left out and they are never left alone (although I'm sure your doing this already), and put both dogs on a more strick version of a non-physical leadership program (control over every resource). Also, try not to reprimand but rather re-direct BEFORE an incident becomes serious. Body language can be quite subtle with these guys and they are extrememly quick when something does start, so you'll have to really be on your toes. I'd keep something extremely noisey very close at hand in case you do have to startle them apart and someone suggested a break stick (always in my tool box) you should have one just in case:( .

Not to pass you off to a book but if you're interested, FIGHT - by Jean Donaldson is a great book for this issue. You can get it at www.dogwise.com just to have some reference close at hand.

I wish that I lived closer because this is the most common breed specific problem that I deal with on a daily basis. Maybe chat room would be a good place to help, it's such a question/answer kind of thing that forum and PM takes so long. I'm out doing private training for most of the day today but will be home after 6:00 tonight...not sure what time that is for you:)
I have to agree with you again with what you said about Ralphs safety. Sometimes, it just does not work. If you think that Ralphs life is in danger, don't feel guilty about the re-home option. This DOES happen, sometimes it is unavoidable and you should not feel bad about what you can't control. Err on the side of caution, you'll know better than anyone if the risk is too great with your particular situation. The one mistake people make is that they try so hard for so long that it changes the youngsters outlook on other dogs.

I believe he's (Ralph) either still in one of his fear imprint stages or may be about to enter another critical period, so at this time it's crutial that he doesn't constantly feel threatened.

Some posts have (maybe unintentionally) discouraged your first instincts, don't feel like a failure if this is either too hard for your particular situation or too risky for Ralph..:)

elegy

overdogged
solidstaffs said:
I hope that makes sense, as i said i dont know enough about the UKC to comment on it and have any substance to my comments. I can only comment on what i know is happening here and the organisations that we have. I will go and take a look for the UKC website though :D
the ukc is a reputable registry, and an older one than the AKC. it was actually begun as a fighting dog registry, i do believe, but has since gone in a different direction entirely. but as both are american registries, i don't imagine they have a whole lot of impact on you :) but the american pit bull terrier *is* a real, true breed with a long, recorded history.

elegy said:
the ukc is a reputable registry, and an older one than the AKC. it was actually begun as a fighting dog registry, i do believe, but has since gone in a different direction entirely. but as both are american registries, i don't imagine they have a whole lot of impact on you :) but the american pit bull terrier *is* a real, true breed with a long, recorded history.
Thanks for that.

Although we know that the Pit is a real breed it just isn't the same breed as the Staffordshire bull terrier :)

Members online

No members online now.