Can anyone help me with some Bailey issues?

This is a yearly thing with her and I so far have not been able to stop it.

EVERY year, around the middle of summer till fall, we have monsoon season. It gets humid, the ground stays wet, it rains a lot.

Bailey refuses to go outside to pee. She is peeing in the house without fail, every day, at least 3 times a day. She WAS going in my room, but I cleaned it and treated the carpet so now she's going in the kitchen under the kitchen table.

I take her outside, she won't go.

Crating her really is not an option and here is why.

Before I had her, one of her previous owners had her crated 12 hrs a day so she actually shuts down if you crate her.

She sees the crate as a punishment since another previous owner of hers threw her in the crate whenever she had accidents in his apartment, which was always, because he never walked her.

She does this even if we are home, so she would have to be crated like 24/7.

I'm trying to take her out when I KNOW she has to go, like when we first wake up, and before bed.

SOMETIMES she will go out there on her own. Shes only peeing in the house so its not like she never goes out.

I just can't take it anymore. I might be moving to a new house with BRAND NEW carpets, and if this isn't resolved by then I am just going to crate her whenever I leave, and give her a kong to help her deal.

I just hate seeing her shut down.

I am also switching her food. I am going to buy her probably Innova EVO. She needs to be on grain free, and she only eats like 1/2 cup a day, so it'll last a while. I just can't afford to feed her a half cup, Kody a cup, and Chance 2 1/2 cups of food a day at that price. Bailey is struggling with weight right now, so that may be contributing to why she is so lazy. Actually, I'm sure of it, lol.

Bad pic but you can tell how lean she was.

She's put on a few

We're also going to start going back to the DP now that it's cooling down. I just want my old baby to be happy. She's going to be 6 in October, and I want her comfortable and as healthy as I can get her.

lizzybeth727

First of all, it is possible to teach dogs that the crate is good, even if they've had a previous bad experience with it. I'd suggest getting a crate that's different than the one she had before if possible (like, get a plastic airline crate if she had a wire crate before, or vice-versa), and just start click/treating when she looks at the crate. Then click/treat when she walks toward the crate. Then C/T when she sniffs or touches the crate. Then C/T when she sticks her head inside. Etc. Yes, it will probably take a long time; but since this is a problem that has happened for so many years and will likely happen again in the future, it might be worth it to work on the crating.

Next, make sure that you're treating her for pottying outside, especially when it's raining or you know that she's uncomfortable out there.

Also, keep her with you - on a leash if you need to - ALL the time while you're home. If you can catch her squatting and about to pee, just pick her up and run her outside; then reward her for finishing outside.

You might also need to control her access to water (when she drinks, NOT how much) so that he peeing becomes a little more regular and you can more easily predict when she will need to go.

I agree start over with a new crate and train from scratch...

Start feeding all meals in the crate (or near the crate at first and build up to it) use chicken pieces if you have too.

Tippy does the same thing...I have to watch her 24/7 when its wet outside. Som'times I'll pick her up and walk to the faaaar end of the yard so she has a long way back to decide...hey maybe I do have to pee after all...otherwise she will just sit at the front door holding it so she can go inside and pee.

can you put up a canopy so part of the yard is dry? I know the wind ate your last one.

bubbatd

So sorry that you have to go through this ......she's not that old .

Thanks for the tips guys.

I didnt really mean OLD OLD. I meant my old baby. She was the first dog I got as my own. I'm def going to keep her attached to me while I am home, and take her out frequently, see if we can kick this.

When you say she won't potty when you take her out, do you mean just out in the backyard or actually out on walks? If you just meant the yard you might try taking her out front and for short walks. I know my girls are huge babies about pottying in the backyard when it's wet but still get excited about the leash and will go out front.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I ditto everybody else on working on the crate with her. Even if you don't want to crate her any other time, IMO it's invaluable to have a dog used to a crate in case of some kind of emergency, like they get hurt or sick and HAVE to be crated. God forbid that ever happen, but if it did, you wouldn't want to have that moment be the time you start getting her used to the crate!

If all else fails you might get some puppy pee pads, put newspaper underneath as added protection, and then direct her to those... sort of like having a litter box.

When you say she won't potty when you take her out, do you mean just out in the backyard or actually out on walks? If you just meant the yard you might try taking her out front and for short walks. I know my girls are huge babies about pottying in the backyard when it's wet but still get excited about the leash and will go out front.
When she lived in Cali, they would take her for walks and she would NEVER go. She doesnt go on leash very well.

I ditto everybody else on working on the crate with her. Even if you don't want to crate her any other time, IMO it's invaluable to have a dog used to a crate in case of some kind of emergency, like they get hurt or sick and HAVE to be crated. God forbid that ever happen, but if it did, you wouldn't want to have that moment be the time you start getting her used to the crate!

If all else fails you might get some puppy pee pads, put newspaper underneath as added protection, and then direct her to those... sort of like having a litter box.
She pees on the corner of potty pads, even if I make a freakin quilt out of them lol.

She WILL crate, doesnt even whine, I can just tell she'd rather be out.

I have been keeping her with me during the day. She doesn't have accidents overnight in my room, it tends to be after I leave for work in the morning, she's going in the kitchen. The last few days I am taking her directly out back when we wake up, and she hasn't had any accidents. Furthermore, I treated the carpet again, and I make sure she doesn't go in my room.

We're making progress!

JoeLacy

I agree, go back to square one. I trained my aussie to love her crate. She has the run of the house now all day if I'm here or not but as I type this she's napping in her crate with the door open. I haven't shut the door on her crate in MONTHS.

The way I did it was tossing in treats with the door open. She would go in, get her treat and come right out. The only time I ever shut the door was when it was bedtime. She understood going in her kennel at anytime was a good thing and a safe thing, now she spends her free time in there on her own. As a matter of fact, she won't sleep in the bed, she goes to her crate every night without a command or treat.

Using the crate to housebreak worked well because she was on a regular schedule. Outside in the morning, noon and at 6:00 pm. She learned that she was going out and could hold it. She hasn't gone in the house in months because I'm still consistent. Another thing that helped was taking her to the exact same spot outside EVERYTIME to go potty. She learned that was her spot not in the house. Dogs don't' want to go in the house and if your are consistent they catch on pretty quick. Be sure to praise the dog and even treat them in mid-pee stream and soon they are thrilled that they know what you want them to do and look forward to going out and go potty. Time consistency is the key in all this, food, bedtime, outside and praise.

I used to feed and water at regular intervals. I would then time it from the moment she would go on the floor. I even wrote it down, over a week I knew an hour after eating or drinking, she needed to go potty. I made sure she would get to go out before that hour was up setting her up to succeed. Now, her food and water bowl is ALWAYS full and she can eat and drink all she wants because she knows, she will get to go out morning, noon and night.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
my moms dog has the same problem with wet grass, all it took was going back to Potty training 101.
leashing him to us and taking him out and just WAITING. lol my mom would set up a chair on the grass, leash him to it, and just WAIT after he had his dinner and drank. he would eventually pee, it took a lot of time, but he would go. and lots of praise came.

my moms dog has the same problem with wet grass, all it took was going back to Potty training 101.
leashing him to us and taking him out and just WAITING. lol my mom would set up a chair on the grass, leash him to it, and just WAIT after he had his dinner and drank. he would eventually pee, it took a lot of time, but he would go. and lots of praise came.
I praise her every time she goes outside, and I have been taking her out when I KNOW she needs to go and cant hold it, and we're on day 3 no accidents!

Members online

No members online now.