Anyone imported a dog? (especially US to Can)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
The option was brought up to me today of being able to drive and go get Smudge.. Break up the trip a little by a gracious person I know so it isn't 14ish hours followed by 14ish more hours. But, it's semi dependent if I can replace my car in the next month.. Breeder has gotten a shipping quote put together for me for continental, and is working on one for health cert and crate.. but I'd like to drive, see people I don't get to see often.. Though it's less fuss to not put in the drive..

He's not going anywhere for another 4-6 weeks or anything.. but Canada customs hasn't been helpful trying to get info.. So even to have a sort of idea from anyone who has done it...

I was wondering if anyone had flown or driven a new dog States to Canada especially, and what was it like hassle wise and tax wise bringing them back?

jess2416

Who woulda thought
The option was brought up to me today of being able to drive and go get Smudge.. Break up the trip a little by a gracious person I know so it isn't 14ish hours followed by 14ish more hours. But, it's semi dependent if I can replace my car in the next month.. Breeder has gotten a shipping quote put together for me for continental, and is working on one for health cert and crate.. but I'd like to drive, see people I don't get to see often.. Though it's less fuss to not put in the drive..

He's not going anywhere for another 4-6 weeks or anything.. but Canada customs hasn't been helpful trying to get info.. So even to have a sort of idea from anyone who has done it...

I was wondering if anyone had flown or driven a new dog States to Canada especially, and what was it like hassle wise and tax wise bringing them back?
-thread hijack-

You can come and see me and Chloe ;)

*I remember you said that your breeder was in NC I think*

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Mafia, my breeder shows in Canada and brings dogs there often. So she is familiar with the trip between the states and there. If you want, I can ask her your questions. But I'm not sure exactly what you want to know, so you can PM me if you want with specific questions and I will contact her. She might have some insight.

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Shippo is from Canada. He was flown from Manitoba to Denver, CO. It was kindof a pain, but we got it done lol...

Spiritus

As long as he is under 12 weeks of age, he does not need rabies. He will need an international health certificate certifying him healthy and free of parasites and infectious diseases that is no more than 72 hours old prior to importation.

He must be vaccinated for distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza virus NO YOUNGER than 6 weeks of age.

You will need a bill of sale clearly stating the value of the dog and you will have to pay GST on that value.

Importing dogs to Canada is not governed by Canada Customs, but by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The requirements can be found here: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dog_chien_1e.shtml

MafiaPrincess

Thank you. He'll need rabies. He's not going anywhere till 12 weeks minimum. He's 8 weeks now and just got his first set of shots. Do you know if he needs a health certificate if I drive him back?

Just GST on the total? That's spit.. I was expecting a hefty cost.. Thank you.. No one had an answer for that part of importing before.

Spiritus

If you are going to do it "legal", then I would say yes. And you will need to contact CFIA to find out if there is an inspector at your point of entry into Canada, and what his/her hours are.

Vaccinating for rabies at 12 weeks, is IMO, not a good idea. You can bring the puppy across without rabies, and the inspector will give you an order to have the dog vaccinated within a certain time frame, with proof of that vaccination submitted to CFIA. I really would consider calling them.

Spiritus

Oh, and one other thing. If this is a dog that you are wanting to CKC register, you will need to keep your documentation from when you brought him over. The CKC requires proof of importation from CFIA/Canada Customs.

Spiritus

Here's one other thing that I just remembered.

12 weeks is not necessarily 3 months. CFIA requires puppies over 3 months of age be vaccinated for rabies. That's 3 months to the day. So if your puppy was born April 23rd, 12 weeks would be the 16th of July, but three months won't be until the 23rd of July. So you might be okay with your rabies.

I just imported a dog from Hungary, and I talked to CFIA over the phone specifically about this. 3 months is not 12 weeks.

Spiritus already gave some amazing advice! I just wanted to throw in that if you wanted another pit stop, feel free to PM me. I dunno how you're getting from point A to point B (which way you are taking) but if you are coming close to my place my doors are always open.

Do not mention the dog was sold from this country to next.
The Price for the new owner taxes from USA back to Canada for a $1000.00 dog was $300.00 back in 2001.

You need a puppy vaccination record.

I live 15 mins from the Border near Niagara Falls.

Need Help call me 716 751 6927

I transport rescues of LGD breeds from Rochester to Toronto all the time.
And due to my NYC accent I get over the border in 2 secs.

Also next year a passport will be needed to cross.

Now you need to bring a birth certificate as back up if they do not take your drivers lIC.

Do not breed over any food of any kind just in case they yellow ticket you for inspection..

Jeannine De Palma

MafiaPrincess

He's likely not going anywhere till 16 weeks.. So likely he's gotta have rabies I think.. The 3three months versus 12 weeks is weird, but makes sense. I hadn't thought of it like that. If I drive to get him, and get him at 12, rather than flown at 16.. then I guess he could go without rabies..

Thanks everyone. All freaking confusing to import though it's not that many steps or anything..

MafiaPrincess

Thank you Jeannine.. I started a thread on crossing and food the other day.. I hadn't heard of it before then..

I crossed in November it was brutal even with my birth certificate and drivers license. Return trip though they didn't care about Cider, only cared why I wasn't bringing back alcohol or tobacco..

Everyone is so helpful, thank you.

IF they give him the rabies early request they do not give rabies and a 7 way on such a young pup it can cause HOD.

I do a 5 way and do not give lepto unless the pup owner request it.

I have traveled with pups with no rabies till 5 months for dog shows no issues.

I have friends coming over for training all the time from Ontario with my breedings and they have no issues.

I sometimes show them my ribbons and start yapping the poor guys are like go woman just go LOL.

My fast talking street Brooklyn AKA Sopranos accents has only got me stopped 2x in over 100 trips. ONce cause it was a rental car, the other cause the NEWBIES asked how often I cross and I told him every month.

Wa la yellow ticket and i got to watch some dam fine good looking men tear apart my car. I told them this is fun and they LOL.

IF you are real worried just make plans with me and I will meet you at my fav CHinese in NF last exit before Lewistown bridge and I help you out.

You are welcome to stay here of course dont worry we have guest rooms without any CAS dogs with bunk beds :)

Spiritus

GST is what? 6%? 7%? That is $60.00 or $70.00 on a $1,000.00 dog. IF the dog does need to be CFIA inspected, they do charge a fee. I believe that is $35.00, or there-about. DON'T mention that the dog will be used for breeding if it is. Some of the officials can try to charge you for what the dog will produce. I've known people who have shipped bitches down the US for breeding, and when they brought the bitch back, the officials wanted to charge them GST on the unborn puppies. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't even know if my bitch is pregnant a few days after breeding, let alone how many puppies may be in there. ;)

WOW i have not idea I just know the kids blushed and told the border guards that they just "bought" a new puppy.

Wham bam pulled over and $300 Canadian was paid.

Even when I pick pups up for people at the TOronto airport I state they are mine and no hassles ever on puppies.

And they have only asked for rabies on adults 2-3 times in 10 years.
I have a copy of all show dogs in my glove compartment.

MafiaPrincess

LOL, He's a pet first.. Even if I show him well there aren't any planned breedings, so I wouldn't mention it, ty though. It's nice to know how the system works before I get there.

Without large CAS'? But I want a bed with a really large dog in it :) He's gotten a 4 way so far. She doesn't like to over vaccinate. I don't think she'd touch a 7 way.

Anyone think there's less hassle in just flying him?

NO I had a dog from France lose his health papers I had to pull the tears to stop them from placing him in QT.
Papers came after I got him home same day next day air.

Driving insures YOU have him worse case you get turned away come here and we drive over the next bridge you got 3 to choose from.

LOL Yes we keep ONE room dog free for visitors with allergies.
I had a massice allergy attack coming back from WOrld show do to Smokers and rooms with Smokers in it .
That is why Im ready for it at home.

This room has its own bathroom too.

Members online

No members online now.