What is Rudy?

Lolo76

I hope you're not sick of these threads, since I noticed quite a few already exist. Rudy is a 3 year-old 42 lb. mutt, rescued from the Humane Society as a puppy. They called him a German Shepherd / Jack Russell Terrier mix, but told me it was just a wild guess. I had a DNA test done last year, but they didn't have many breeds to test yet... so they re-tested him last month, and I'm anxiously awaiting the results. If anyone guesses correctly, I'll give them a cookie - LOL.

As for his personality, he exhibits herding behavior, mostly with my cats and small animals. He's medium-energy (a regular walk or park visit wears him out), very smart, stubborn, finicky, good with cats & people, iffy with other dogs. He also makes a lot of woo-wooing and yodeling sounds, which suggests Basenji or a Northern Breed. So far I've had people guess the following breeds: Kelpie (my top guess), Schipperke, Cattle Dog, Basenji, German Shepherd, various terriers, Doberman, Husky, Spitz, Shiba Inu, and so on and so forth. None of this matters of course, since he's just my baby... but it will be fun to solve the mystery! Anyway, here are a few pictures of him:

The tail is always curled...

Next to a full-grown Pug, for size comparison

Lolo76

I mentioned that Kelpie is my top guess, and unfortunately they still can't test for that... so if the results are inconclusive again, I'll just call him a Kelpie! :D Tell me this doesn't look like Rudy:

An Australian Kelpie

Rudy's profile

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Rudy is a CUTIE! (hehe. I rhymed) :D
But seriously, I think Kelpie mix is a good guess. Maybe Kelpie x Shiba Inu? His body type reminds me of a larger, lankier Shiba, but his profile does look a lot like a Kelpie. Does he have a little underbite? I hope the DNA results make sense... I know some people have gotten results that are pretty much guaranteed inaccurate, but I'm sure it works for some.

Those pictures are beautiful. I don't live too far away from SF, and there are a few members who live in the bay area. Welcome to Chaz!

Without seeing the picture of her next to the pug, she looked much bigger than she is! Lol

I definitely would say Kelpie cross.

Lolo76

Without seeing the picture of her next to the pug, she looked much bigger than she is! Lol

I definitely would say Kelpie cross.
Yeah, he's not that big - just about knee-high to me, and I'm 5'5". Perfect size, in my opinion! :) Sounds like Kelpie is the guess so far... too bad they can't test for that yet, but I can suggest they add it. Isn't that an unusual breed around here, though? He was found in Los Banos CA, which is about 2 hours southeast of San Francisco. They do have a lot of farms out there, so maybe some have Kelpies for herding? Hmmmmmm.

Lolo76

Rudy is a CUTIE! (hehe. I rhymed) :D
But seriously, I think Kelpie mix is a good guess. Maybe Kelpie x Shiba Inu? His body type reminds me of a larger, lankier Shiba, but his profile does look a lot like a Kelpie. Does he have a little underbite? I hope the DNA results make sense... I know some people have gotten results that are pretty much guaranteed inaccurate, but I'm sure it works for some.
He does have a slight underbite, and often gets his lips stuck to his gums - looks hilarious, like he's sneering at you. :D I guess we'll see what the DNA test says, but I won't be too upset if they can't figure him out... he is unique, and I love him for that! At least it wasn't that much money, since they only charged me for the original test ($55) plus a $20 upgrade fee.

Those pictures are beautiful. I don't live too far away from SF, and there are a few members who live in the bay area. Welcome to Chaz!
Thanks, and I look forward to meeting the other locals! San Francisco is a fabulous place to be a dog, and a pretty cool place to be human too. :)

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i wanna be weird and say cattle dog german shepherd
just to be different :)

YodelDogs

Rudy's head really does look like the Kelpie head photo but they truly are rare in the states. When I first saw the photo, I thought "Shiba mix". I am not sure what else may be in there though.

S

Squishy22

It does look a lot like a kelpie.

My grandmother took one in that showed up on her front porch. Chocolatey colored dog. Looks just like a kelpie. Sadly, she is way overweight and weights around 70 pounds. Very sad.

I think Kelpie mix is a good guess. Maybe Kelpie x Shiba Inu? His body type reminds me of a larger, lankier Shiba, but his profile does look a lot like a Kelpie.
^^^ Exactly what I thought ... Kelpie/Shiba Inu ... and for exactly the reasons you stated!!

Kelpies are extremely uncommon in the United States.
Ummm ... depends on where you are, U.S. covers a lot of land area. :)

If you're in the Eastern U.S. then yes, you're seldom if ever gonna see a Kelpie. But they're not uncommon in the far West. We live up by Lake Tahoe, many sheep and cattle ranches just a little east of here have Kelpies as herding dogs. Not all, but many of the ranchers don't spay/neuter their dogs so Kelpie crosses are pretty common here too.

He was found in Los Banos CA, which is about 2 hours southeast of San Francisco. They do have a lot of farms out there, so maybe some have Kelpies for herding?
That would be not too far from ("close" as in the country definition of "up the road a piece" ;) ) some of the ranches that keep Kelpies as herders.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Agree with TGR. Kelpies are pretty common on some farms and ranchs out west :) They make good ranch hands just like the Border Collie.

I'd say Kelpie mix, too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
In TX you never see kelpies around.

We get a bunch of border collies and ACDs and crosses of the two. Some Aussies as well...

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
yes and the odds of a kelpie meeting up with a shiba? LOL.
Shiba x ACD remains my guess, tho the folks guessing Elkhound could well be on to something. The dog is very square and upstanding like a Northern breed.

S

Squishy22

^^^ Exactly what I thought ... Kelpie/Shiba Inu ... and for exactly the reasons you stated!!

Ummm ... depends on where you are, U.S. covers a lot of land area. :)

If you're in the Eastern U.S. then yes, you're seldom if ever gonna see a Kelpie. But they're not uncommon in the far West. We live up by Lake Tahoe, many sheep and cattle ranches just a little east of here have Kelpies as herding dogs. Not all, but many of the ranchers don't spay/neuter their dogs so Kelpie crosses are pretty common here too.

That would be not too far from ("close" as in the country definition of "up the road a piece" ;) ) some of the ranches that keep Kelpies as herders.
Thats interesting because my grandmother lived in California as well when her kelpie looking dog showed up on her porch!

ACD was another breed I thought of even though they are a bit more stocky.

Members online

No members online now.