Girl, 10, gets stolen puppy back

aivzdog

Girl, 10, gets stolen puppy back

By Kay Murray

A ten-year-old girl, who was attacked by a youth who stole her puppy in a Muswell Hill park, has been reunited with her beloved pet.

Florence Wentworth, of Princes Avenue, Alexandra - who was left with neck and back injuries after the attack in Durnsford Park, Durnsford Road, Muswell Hill, on April 19 - got her dog back last Sunday.

A Tottenham couple had contacted the police to say that they thought they had the 19-week old Staffordshire bull terrier, and Florence went to their home with her mother - and high hopes.

Now, Florence's mother, Ann Wentworth, 40, is delighted to see her daughter smiling again.
continued...

She said: "Winning the lottery doesn't even come close to it, I haven't seen her smile for two weeks and now she has a big smile on her face from ear to ear."

The puppy was found last week, wandering around on Ferry Lane in Tottenham, by a man, who then took her home, where he and his wife - who own a dog themselves - looked after her for a few days.

They contacted the police after a friend told them she thought the dog might be stolen as she had seen a story about it in our sister newspaper, the Tottenham & Wood Green Independent.

Mrs Wentworth said: "Florence sobbed her heart out because when she called her, Millie remembered her and ran straight to her.

"It was a lovely ending to a sad story."

Mrs Wentworth had offered to pay to get Millie back, but the couple who found her would not accept any money and said that they would rather a donation be made to the RSPCA.

"I am so grateful to this lady, she looked after Millie so well," said Mrs Wentworth.

"Her own dog was crying when Millie left. You couldn't have asked for a nicer couple to have found the dog. I can't sing their praises enough."

Mrs Wentwoth said that despite the happy reunion, Florence is still traumatised by what happened and gets scared every time she sees a teenage boy in a 'hoody'. "You just don't hear of kids getting mugged for a dog.

"It absolutely devastated us; it broke us in half. We got her back but Florence still suffered heartache in between," she said.

# A 17-year-old boy arrested by Haringey police in connection with attacking and stealing a dog from a ten-year-old girl, in a Muswell Hill park, appeared in court last week.

The teenager, from Tottenham, was charged with robbery and appeared at Highgate Magistrates Court, Bishops Road, Highgate, on May 4.

He was arrested on April 28 more than a week after the incident. The case was adjourned until June 12.

Anna

~Tucker&Me~

That is so sad and horrible. The poor girl:).
Makes you wonder what may have happened to the dog while the guy had her...
No offence to the parents, but I wouldn't let my 10 year-old girl walk around by herself. ESPECIALLY with a pittie, not because of the dog (I love them and want to own one one day) but because I know there are tons of stories of them getting stolen etc.

~Tucker

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I was always afraid of that sort of thing when Ilsa was a puppy - my neighborhood wasn't the greatest, and I was warned by neighbors "in the know" to be very careful walking her. I did get some suspicious looks, but luckily no one ever tried to take her from me. Quite a few people would pull up and comment on how nice of a dog she was, but none tried anything more than the usual, "heyyy, you sellin' that pup? How much yo take for her?"

By the time Ilsa was 5 months old, however, no one dared to try to take her! Someone running from the police decided to take a shortcut through our house when Ilsa was 5-6 months old, and ended up petrified in a corner, cowering from a bitty little teenage Doberman!

(The doors were open, only screen doors up... when it's 95 degrees out with 90% humidity... and you live in a 106 year old house without central air... doors and windows are ALWAYS open!)

mojozen

bullie lover
SizzleDog said:
Quite a few people would pull up and comment on how nice of a dog she was, but none tried anything more than the usual, "heyyy, you sellin' that pup? How much yo take for her?"
Sizzle the same happens to me even now. My 4 year old pit mix is mistaken for a puppy all the time due to the slender shaping of his skull and how short he is. I actually still will not walk in my neighborhood with thim due to some of the shady characters that have asked me about him.

I wasn't surprised at all when I read the breed for this article. It's a cute pup, and a terrible thing to happen. It's a good thing the girl got her dog back, but I think she will have issues emotionally from this attack as she grows older. It's not something one can just forget.... :(

bubbatd

Today's attitudes scare me !!!! There's no respect for anything or anyone. I'm so glad she got him back save and sound. Another reason dogs should be micro chipped... too many sell stolen dogs to labs for their drug money !

L

LabBreeder

I think it's very sad that her puppy was stolen. I'm just glad nothing happened to the girl or her dog...at least nothing physical seems to have happened. Be glad that the dog and/or girl were not attacked by another dog with territory issues.
We've got a dachsund (sounds nice huh?) that roams the neighborhood we live in. I didn't have a problem with him until he attacked my 8 wk old lab puppy. The sad thing is, neighbors were out and no one wanted to do anything about it. One guy even called me a bad name because I was hollering for them to come get the dog (there are leash laws, and he kept calling the dog anyhow so I thought it was his). I told the property manager and tried to contact animal control (no answer). I didn't think a dachsund could be mean, but this one sure was! If he's ever outside without a leash/owner again I'm contacting animal control. If the owner wants him they'll go get him, if not he'll get a better home (they are no kill around here).

Im glad she got the puppy back.

Why do people feel the need to steal other people's pet? Its just meaness is what it is.:mad:

Members online