Foods that are Harmfull or Fatal to Dogs

Violet21

Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs
Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these (listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog purposefully, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.

avacados are toxic to dogs Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

onions can be fatal to dogs Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

garlic is harmful to dogs Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.

grapes and raisins can be fatal to dogs Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

tomatoes can be fatal to dogs Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)

nutmeg is can be fatal to dogs Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.

caffeine is harmful to dogs Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

xylitol sweetener can harm dogs Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

macadamia nuts can harm dogs Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.

walnuts are poisonous to dogs Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.

chocolate can be fatal to dogs Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

fruit pits are toxic to dogs Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous.

too much salt is harmful to dogs Too much salt can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.

too much fat is harmful to dogs Too much fat or fried foods can cause pancreatitis.

ham and bacon are bad for dogs Ham and bacon contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.

too much liver is harmful to dogs Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week) can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. Check the label of your canned dog food to be sure that it does not contain liver if you are giving your dog liver also.

wild mushrooms can be fatal to dogs Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma, or death.

raw egg whites alone are bad for dogs Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity. Raw egg yolks contain enough biotin to prevent the deficiency, so this is not a problem with raw whole eggs. Raw egg yolks could contain salmonella, so you should get your eggs from a reliable source or cook the eggs.

large amounts of grains are bad for dogs Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.

cooked bones can kill dogs Cooked bones can splinter and tear a dog’s internal organs.

dogs need their vegetables cut up Dogs can't digest most vegetables (carrots, green beans, lettuce, potatoes or yams) whole or in large pieces. Potato peels and green potatoes are dangerous.

dairy products can be harmful to dogs Dairy products are high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yogurt is usually safe.

pennies can be fatal to dogs Pennies made from the 1980s to today contain zinc, which can cause kidney failure and damage to red blood cells. A dog that consumes even one penny can become quite sick, or even die, if the penny is not removed.

Violet21 said:
large amounts of grains are bad for dogs Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.

Arn't most dog foods made with a lot of grain?? good promotoin for the BARF diet

Two Questions:

isnt Garlic in a lot of all natural dog treats?
So should treats with garlic not be given to dogs?

Also, does this apply to cats?
My cat steals large pieces of lettuce out of the salad bowl all the time, I let her because I figured it was harmless.

Thanks
Elissa

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Violet - Too much of anything is bad. You should post things that cause problems in small quantities.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
avacados are toxic to dogs Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.
While it is true that avocado pit and plant are toxic, the fruit itself isn't. Avocado oil is nutritious and healthy.

garlic is harmful to dogs Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.
The principle is true, but garlic is far less toxic than onion in regard to heinz body anemia. Up to half a clove for a small dog and 3 cloves for a large dog is fine and actually has many health benefits.

tomatoes can be fatal to dogs Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)
Incorrect. Green part syes, ripe tomatoes, no.

walnuts are poisonous to dogs Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.
Haven't heard of that one at all, ever.

fruit pits are toxic to dogs Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous.
Over-hyped. Yes, these pits and seeds contain cyanide, but unless you feed them to your dog in large amounts on a regular basis, they are harmless. In other words, if you fee da dog a few slices of apple and they happen to contain a seed, it's not a problem.

CLee

mordy, can u look into the walnut oil cause I know timberwolf organics uses walnut oil in their products...

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I know walnut oil is not an issue, but I've never come across any information that walnuts are toxic. Walnut hulls (green) are another issue.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
PoodleMommy said:
Two Questions:

isnt Garlic in a lot of all natural dog treats?
So should treats with garlic not be given to dogs?

Also, does this apply to cats?
My cat steals large pieces of lettuce out of the salad bowl all the time, I let her because I figured it was harmless.

Thanks
Elissa
Like Mordy said TOO MUCH garlic is bad for dogs. I give my dog brewer's yeast tablets and they contain garlic. Garlic was thought to be a natural flea repellent (don't know if that is true but I have read that in numerous places). Dog treats or supplements with garlic will not harm your dog though.

moxiegrl

My dog loves cooked and ripe tomatos, and has not had any problems with them.
There was just a post on chocolate and dogs, http://www.petplace.com/dogs/why-dogs-can-t-eat-chocolate/page1.aspx
so an ounce of most chocolates (excluding baking chocolate, which is 2 ounces), is not toxic. Of course I still do not give my dog chocolate, but if your dog eats a chocolate chip off the floor while your baking cookies no panic necessary.
As far as raw eggs go I have been looking into BARF, and they say to feed your dog raw eggs occassionaly, they also mention yogurt.

Does anybody have any facts to add to this?

I take my dogs to a Holistic vet. He wrote the book Natural Health Bible for Cats and Dogs and has a program on sirius radio. He told me to give my dogs garlic instead of Frontline. So I am curious about the garlic.

hckygrl4

I know walnut oil is not an issue, but I've never come across any information that walnuts are toxic. Walnut hulls (green) are another issue.
We have a walnut tree in our yard and the walnuts get EVERYWHERE, especially b/c of the squirrels. Our new puppy just started chewing on the old nuts from last year and she started puking this morning. Could it be possible that walnuts are bad?! We are going to the vet this morning anyway, so we'll ask then. I just wanted to think on this idea some more.

hckygrl4

I take my dogs to a Holistic vet. He wrote the book Natural Health Bible for Cats and Dogs and has a program on sirius radio. He told me to give my dogs garlic instead of Frontline. So I am curious about the garlic.
I'm sure garlic is ok, but yes probably in large quantities not. Rachel Ray used to cook for her dog and garlic was in quite a bit of the food she made. She used onion juice (grated onion) as well b/c the dog didn't like it, but it didn't seem to be harming her. My best advice is to just ASK your VET! :) Let's not spread a bad food list if it is incorrect!

123-pet

Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to

chocolate can be fatal to dogs Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
Very true about chocolate. It can definitely be toxic if the dog eats enough. I wrote an article with a little more info about Dogs and Chocolate. I hope it's ok to post that here. :)

Members online

No members online now.