For fun - what breed should I get?

Freehold

Not really looking at a dog at the moment, but Zorro is an old man, and as much as I'd love him to stay forever I need to be realistic. When he goes, I will likely be on the lookout for a new family dog. Here's what I would like in the ideal dog:

• small-medium size (toy is ok, but not large)
  • easy to maintain coat (I'm bad at forgetting to groom)
  • low to moderate exercise needs (something that enjoys yard romps and isn't likely to wander off if off leash would be best)
  • relatively low prey drive (I have cats and small critters)
  • good with other dogs and kids
  • no serious health issues I will likely have to deal with

So, any breed(s) you can think of that fit? Anything from rare to common ;) Rescue or puppy makes no difference to me (not that I'm getting anything any time soon anyway).

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Dachshund? I think if they were raised with kids/cats/dogs/small critters they'd be just fine. Gracie LOVES kids, ignores the cats, is very good with other dogs, and although she would like to munch on the rats, it isn't over the top.

Boston Terrier/Pug/French Bulldog? If you didn't mind a Brachy breed (if I were to purchase one, I would find one that has a more natural build), and they are a bit more active than some people give them credit for.

Freehold

My old boy is half Dachshund, and has been a great dog. He was a rescue from the Dachshund rescue, and if I went that way again I'd go to them for sure. Not sure if I want to do that again, or try something new... lol

The French Bulldog looks cute. Not exactly my type in looks, but I could get used to it for the right dog. My son likes Pugs, but I worry about their health and breathing. Generally I've avoided terriers as they can be so high energy, but again worth considering. Thanks :)

Any other ideas?

momto8

I think you'd like a Boston from what you explain. Easy keeper as far as grooming :) Not alot of health issues (with our boy at least) , always concerns with the heat with a brachy breed. They are a very fun breed, always ready to play and very clownish,but our Boston is very trainable, and great off leash :) He's a very ppl orientated dog. Ours is not good with cats..but he has never been around cats either, so that could make a huge difference as I know ppl that have bostons and cats :) They are a very fun breed of dog :)

Dekka

Just try me..
Most bostons I have met are VERY busy active dogs. Up there with my jacks. Though low prey drive.

I suggest norfolk or norwitch terriers. They aren't terribly terrier ish but they are super cute, wash n go sort of dogs.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Most bostons I have met are VERY busy active dogs. Up there with my jacks. Though low prey drive.

I suggest norfolk or norwitch terriers. They aren't terribly terrier ish but they are super cute, wash n go sort of dogs.
Yes, most of the Boston's I know are also really active. But, I think they'd do fine with just around-the-house exercise and playtime. Same with French Bulldogs.

All of my dogs (well, minus Gracie) are what I would consider active and ready to go-go-go, but they're also just as happy to play fetch a few times a day in the house and run around in the yard. Which is about the activity level I was assuming the OP was referring to, and I know a Boston or Frenchie would fit the bill.

Oh, also, maybe an Italian Greyhound? I've enjoyed the ones I've been around - very social and friendly. Active and athletic, too, but just as happy to curl up under a blanket and sleep the day away. Very soft in personality so they responded well to verbal corrections. I do know they are supposed to be really hard to housebreak, though...

Dekka

Just try me..
I quite like the frenchies that I have met. They seem to have a less crazy sort of energy than the bostons. Not that crazy energy is bad.. just not everyone wants that. :D

I agree that bostons can have some crazy energy, but they also can be couch potatoes too. Mine can run around like little kids high on pixie sticks, but they usually konk out for awhile afterwards. So if you can handle a bit of crazy you should be fine. They are funny little goofballs though, who just love to be with their people. The one frenchie I met was crazier than my two bostons put together....which is saying something.

Here's my two right now after playing some fetch and chasing each other around the house.

Yes, she sleeps with her eyes open sometimes......kinda creepy.....

And Joey giving me the stink eye for taking pictures

Members online

No members online now.