THings about your dog you want your backup to know

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I need to sit down and compile a list about both dogs. I thought i would start with Victor.

HE likes to be covered up at night...hopefully next to you. BUt if not, he would be happy if you dropped a blanket over him, even his head and nose.
He hates concrete, cold floors of any kind.

HE had a horrible rash after being neutered.

He loves flashlights, laser pointers, bubbles, but mostly fresh air and some trees to watch. He keeps the squirrels treed like he is playing pinball.

He broke his toe climbing a tree. If he jumps around too much i think he reinjures it and will cry out.

Sometimes you give him a command like come to heel...and he will tease you a bit by circling a few times with a coyote grin. I think he likes to see me exasperated.
HE loves walks...he loves runs...he loves walks where you run a bit. I am slow as a turtle and must be very tiring for him. IF he runs too much..logan ran him three miles, it hurt his foot.

HE will run in tall brush until he looks like someone took a sander to his undercarraige. He needs a shield plate if he is doing this...or if he does it i use a lotion that does not contain alcohol and it is ususally better by morning.

He will show off if there is another dog that he is trying to impress and will do ^^^all the worse.

HE loves water.

HE tolerated Eddie the cat. He never hurt him, but eddie never hurt him either. Nor did Eddie run. IF he had, Victor might have chased him. He does however know what leave it and NO mean and i believe could be housed with cats after introduction.

IT took him a long time to warm up to Pepper but they are good friends now. I think of them as batman and robin.

He is very sensitive to his legs and does not like to be leaned on.
IF you do and he growls it doesn't mean anything. He growled at Mary half the night last night because "she was leaning on him".

He does however lean on you and if he does it means he likes you.

HE will tell you if he has a flea, or if something hurts by bringing it to you and showing you. SO if he holds his foot up and looks at you.....

HE loves women.

He loves girls.

He loves little girls even more. ANd if the squee or say Awwwwww he melts.IF his eyes are soft you can get lost for awhile. He is in heaven.

HE does not love any toddler that is bouncing around him and might hurt his legs. HE will leave quickly.

He loves car rides. He likes the front seat, and if you have a cup of water in the cup holder, he will consider it his watering bowl.

HE tells you when he has to go out by looking at the door and looking at you and the door and you and the door and you. IF you ignore that and don't get the hint...he will nod his head toward it,,,if you ignore that he will super sonic whine. He will hold it until he cannot. He has not gone in the house since the 3 day i have had him. He will hold it along time but he shouldn't.

OF the fights he has been in, and they are very few, he took the avoidance path. BUt because of them, he is not fond of goldens.

HE loves standard poodles and will seek them out at the dog park.

He is in love with a whippet named Harmony.

The one time he should have fought he left instead and put a fence between him and the trouble maker. I hope that means this is a pattern he will follow in the future. A smart dog does not fight unless they have to. I think he is as smart as they come.

I have never used flea treatment on him and do not know if he is sensitive.

HE doesn't like cheap treats, or peanut butter. He will on occasion like CHarlie bears, his favorite is bil-jacs.

He loves his grandmother...he loves old people.

HE needs a coat on and chills easily when standing still.

He is mastering off leash heel, other then that he is all good the obedience dept. I have not made him bring me the ball unless he wants to. Because of his severe teasing issue when he first came, it makes it all the more meaningful when he drops it in your lap.

IF he gives you the soggiest end of his rawhide he is giving you his most valued treasure. ANd he is in a mushy mood. HE gets in mushy moods, especially in the car.

IF he puts his head against your stomach and leans gently, he really really likes you ,,i have seen him do this to only one other person. IF he nibbles your ears, he is trying to cheer you up and is tell you you are loved. HE will play bite your arm but there will never be any pressure whatsoever. HE will nibble your fingers a bit when he goes by and he is extra happy. It has no pressure either. IF he takes a big sigh and nods his head, and makes this snorking sound, he is his most content.

HE has had no probleml at any vet except one. THat vet is a bad vet and misdiagnosed two dogs. He is the only human Victor has ever growled at. I don't know if he was cueing off of me...this vet would have had mary pts in a misdiagnosed eye problem that would have required surgery. Maybe he sensed how much i did not like the man, or maybe he just knew. Victor knows a lot.

IF he didn't continue on with therapy work, i dont' think he would mind. But if he does, you will see how good at it he is. HE made me a better person because we did this, he considers it his work, but it would be ok if he retired too.

He adores the dog park.

HE has been a stink lately when we circle treats but i think he is over it.

Do not trust him around food when other dogs are around and the food is accessible. IT is the one time i promise you he will turn into a first class ass. He has never hurt anyone, but if he goes all slanty eyed, it is time to remove him from the scene. A sure fire time for time out. HE growled at Kharma about the beef on the grill. Now how stupid is that?

HE is a great dog... so human you will have to double check your perspective about that. HE is my best friend and the closest person to knowing my heart, and i believe loving me. IF we are ever seperated and he is out there, hopefully someone will give him a chance to be all he can be. I have never had a dog like him in my life. WIth that said, i am wiping my tears and being annoyed at the knot in my throat. This is not about drama...just something i want out there and accessible. Baily has offered to be a backup for Victor. I would want any backup to know exactly what is at stake, and see if he would be a good fit. I never want him to be where he is not. HE is way too good of a dog for that.

YOu will know if he is scared, or stressed, he is very easy to read.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Ohhhh grammy how he takes my breath away. Epecially when he is running. But even more then that..i love the smile he gave me today after we dropped of Mary and PEpper. IF he had winked i would not have been surprised.

I forgot to add...if you have him standing somewhere while on the leash and your yacking away, he will close his eyes and take a little nap while standing there.
HE will close his eyes too if you keep closing yours.
HE likes to play in a sheet...he likes a pillow case over his head and plays the alligator chopper. HE plays gently but might nip a little harder when he is an alligator.
HE does not tear up his toys, but he does not play with toys like he use to. The sheet is one of his favorite games.
HE will hold anything you ask him too...but the larger water bottles are too slippery for him to carry.
He knows twist, left and right, twist and down and pretty,...i stick down on the bottom to calm him. He sings, he speaks inside voice (but if the treat is too good he may bark louder once...but not twice) we are still working on this. HE is good at touch, but sucks at crawl.
HE is the softest dog i have ever touched. Especially his ears.
HE has his own coat, short and long lead, his bucket, his hulu hoop. Two collars, orange for the winter because he is invisible in the snow.
I want him to have a lyme vaccines.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ANd his mama loves him so much it hurts. WHich is why i am fighting everything so hard. BUt i want my bases covered. My SO left us high and dry. BEcause of that i have had much suffering and i know his dogs did as well. THere was nothing i could do to stop it. I am not going to leave the ones i love in the same shape. I hope i live to be a old lady. I have a lot i want to do, especially where my art is concerned. I just need to know that this is taken care of. IF Victor would end up some place bad, it would kill me twice over.

HE really likes t-touch and in his folder is the instructions on how to do that on the book case. HIs whole history in on Chazhound...the lady that saved him is named COnnie Guthrie with Save our STrays. HIs vets have been the humane society and Doctor Becker and Wagner at Independence Animal Clinic Independence Mo. ANd PEts for LIFE is his therapy people. North Kansas CIty Hospice is his organization that he is just beginning.
If he is ever very sad or very scared you sing him who's afraid of the big bad woof..he will know he is going to be ok. THat was his song when i first got him and was trying to calm him down when he had nightmare. IT worked then and i think it would work in the future.SUre makes him mushy if i sing it to him now.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
heres kenyas :)
Kenya doesn't trust people easily, especially over eager people. The best way to let her warm up is to totally ignore her (or throw her cuz)

Kenyas trust is something totally pure and special. And as with most pure special things, its hard to aquire. Take your time, don't get frustrated with her, and once she trusts and loves you, you will see how much it was worth wating for

She doesn't like sleeping on human beds, she loves her dog bed pushed right next to it. She will however stare at you in the morning til you move, then put her front paws on top of you. This is our 'cuddlin time' we hug and cuddle and scratch and its my favorite part of waking up In the morning. After cuddlin time, let her out so she can pee.

She likes to sit on the steps in the pool. She will also only drink from the pool if she's standing on the steps. She also sticks her feet in her water dish while she drinks
...ironically, she hates swimming.

She will bark when someone enters my bedroom. I don't know why. But she does. Usually she barks, and if she likes you, goes up and lets you pet her. If not, she'll run into my closet.

Just because kenya is shy, doesn't mean she's in any way aggresive. She has never snapped, growled or bitten anyone. She's just scared

Her 'gotcha day' is november 4th :)
The day her owner abandoned her at the shelter, october 21st. My birthday is october 25th, I always tell her that she was a birthday gift I was late to pick up

She likes being called princess

She loves her chicken quarters. She takes a while to eat them and makes a mess

She has allergies..and itches a lot.

She can sit, down, and we are working on loose leash walking.

don't trust her around small animals (hamsters, birds,mice ect..') She will chase and most likely kill them. She likes to pester cats but really does like them and is nice most of the time

She will never be a golden retriever when it comes to strangers.. Don't ask her to be. I don't know what she went through in her last home, w.e it is she is scarred from it and altho she is making progress she is very much a 'few people family dog'

She loves to play chase/fetch. No she's not going to drop the cuz at your feet.. You've gotta chase her lol and that's half the fun

If you play dog whining videos on youtube, she gets really close and tilts her head to the side. Its adorable

She will play with dogs of any size and loves them all
Its her favorite thing to do

Her best friends are yogi, a lhasa mix and koda an american bulldog. She likes koda a lot because she can play dirty and nobody tells her no

Her last owners wanted to breed her and when the breeding didn't take when she was 10 months old, they decided she wasn't worth the money it takes to feed her and gave her to the shelter to die.
I made her a promise, that she'd never end up in a shelter ever again, and I plan on keeping that promise. Tell her she's worth more than all the money in the world

She loves any and all food. Leave it out and I guarentee you she's gonna eat it.

If your eating vanilla ice cream, let her lick the cup/bowl clean. Put it down and pretend you don't see her doing it lol she loves that

Walk her every day, if you don't, you will have a pacing, whining, pita until you do

She likes to be scratched on her chest

If she's riding in the car, she likes to sit on the floor of the front seat

She loves to be brushed. Especially with the undercoat rake thingie. She hates baths and doesn't really ever need one unless she gets into something stinky

More importantly than anything, love her like I would.

Paige

Let it be
Bandit

He's grumpy.
He's insecure.
He needs his alone ime.
He will get up and leave a situation if he is uncomfortable.
He doesn't like rude dogs. He will try and leave. If he can't he will shut down.
He doesn't like to sleep in bed.
He over heats easily and prefers to sleep outside in the warmer months.
If you don't let him cool off he gets an upset tummy. All over your floor.
He isn't a high maitence dog. He doesn't want to be with you all the time nor will he go insane if he isn't walked for a few days. He does however, need to know he is loved and cherished.

Spank
He is always happy.
He is intense.
He wants to be with his human. 24/7
He has seperation anxiety.
He doesn't like not living with another dog.
He only plays with tennis balls.
He loves the beach!
He likes it when you spank him. Hence the name.
He loves to cuddle with his two and four legged family. Even if they don't want to.
He is a food theif. It'd be wise not to feed him around other dogs as he will pace between his bowl and theirs. He wants both.
He prefers to sleep in bed with you. Preferably under the covers.

Bailey08

Aww, smkie I just saw this. Victor sounds like a truly wonderful dog. Bailey and I would love to add him to our family, though I very much hope that he gets to stay exactly where he is right now. :)

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Well, with my two there is so much, I don't know where to start.

The most important things with Uncle Fred are
1) He can't have anything outside his meals. And if he misses even one meal he will start having blood and mucus in his stool. You have to be really careful changing his food.

2) You can't wave things around in the air over him or make any threatening gestures.

3) He needs to be secure that he is loved or he shuts down, so you have to be careful about yelling at or around him. And hug him regularly.

With Mini, the main thing is to keep her and food separate.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Buster:
He is a one person dog, he loves his family, but he has picked me as his be all and end all. When I'm sitting, he's beside my chair, when I'm out he's asleep at the front door/gate and when I stop walking suddenly, he runs into the back of me.

He loves car rides... or just sitting in the car is fine aswell.

He hates traffic, it stresses him. But he loves utes and big machinery. Like if a bulldozer drives past he looks at it like he would just love to go and sit up in the cabin with the driver.

He doesn't really like new people, he is reserved and if they push him too much he gets extremly uncomfortable.

He hates motorbikes, when at home he couldn't care less, when out on walks he wants to chase them, although he is much better with this now.

He has HD and arthritis, he limps on his right hind leg sometimes but it doesn't seem to bother him much.

He appreciates offleash time, it allows him to relax.

He does not like other dogs/cats. But a dog can walk into his yard and he's fine with it. New cats take months of slow introduction.

He has amazingly expressive eyes, I think he does a lot of thinking.

He is extremly intollerant to Sophie, but will let Mac get away with murder. She's like his little sister.

He gets quite insecure, its taken a lot of work to get him confidently offering behaviours, beforehand he really didn't like having a go incase it was wrong.

He doesn't like to see his person upset, it makes him try to sit on your lap.

A lot of the time, his version of a cuddle is to put his head vertically right into your chest. He has done this when I'm sitting or lying down.

Sometimes he falls asleep with his tongue out.

On walks he likes to walk in front of you, he still tries to pull sometimes but he's pretty good. He also likes to hold the leash in his mouth for the first part of the dog.

If another dog is enjoying a toy... he will snatch it the first moment he can.

He shreds toys.

He has a funny stumpy tail, he doesn't really like people touching it.

He has a great off switch he can go from 100 - 0 in 3 seconds flat.

He is a work in progress, I often feel like his DA is our biggest hurdle, but if I could choose between him tolerating strange dogs and him having the confidence he's got in the last 3 years, I'd choose to give him his confidence. Its amaxing how much he's changed. Finally allowing himself to act like a dog and enjoy his life.

Members online

No members online now.