Half Raw Half Kibble

Is it okay to feed your dog raw just every once in awhile...Dont have a good butcher in my small town so I cant go just raw...And what can I buy at a regular supermarket(raw) that is okay for Brownie to eat...Read up on raw and I dont think I can find most of the recommendations websites gave because of the limited availability of (small town living) Thanks in advance :)

Adrienne

It is fine to supplement with raw if you can't go all the way. Good things to start out with are chicken, pork, and beef. For chicken get a whole chicken and whack it into appropriate sized portions for your dog such as 4 quarters. For pork anything is good, the bones are soft like chicken and easy to digest. Pork ribs make for an excellent workout, pork hocks are a great buy as well. Some organ meat is good to add as well, all different kinds of liver, heart, kidneys, etc. If you live in a small town do you think you have a farm around you that may be willing to give you any left-overs they have after slaughter? Rabbits are also a great food and may be easier to come by then some things. Basically anything that is raw and meaty is perfect. You don't need or want a lot of bone, the chicken would have plenty of bone on it for a few weeks supply of calcium if you are also feeding kibble. Try to stay away from cuts of meat with small bones in them that have been cut with the saw like chops, these are generally too sharp for dogs. Also stay away from large weight bearing bones, these are teeth breakers, ie. knuckle bones. I have been feeding raw completely now for about four months and LOVE it! If you have any more questions I can give you a link to a raw feeding group that is great for raw feeding questions.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
don't limit yourself to the supermarkets you regularly visit.

do some digging and see if there are any meat or poultry processing plants in your area, or maybe raw feeding co-ops. ethnic supermarkets are also great. maybe you even have a butcher who will be happy to sell you all kinds of things that are generally not sold for human consumption.

hearts, lungs and tripe come to mind for example. very nutritious and generally very cheap to come by. :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have a petstore where I live that specialize in selling the better dog foods (Innova, Eagle Pack, Canidae) and they carry the raw meats and stuff. They have the bones and junk at the store. I guess they don't carry that much of it but what they do carry they sell out almost immediately and they are restock everyday. You could try asking a petstore, or looking around a petstore, and see if they have stuff available or could help you.

Members online

No members online now.