Who's up for it ??!!

bubbatd

let's group and do something about these puppy mills and pet stores. !! If everyone would answer a paper ad, visit a pet store, stop by "puppies for sale" sign and try to educate these people it might help. I used to call ads and ask questions e.g. golden retrievers .....then tell them why I would never be interested in their pups. Yes, if only one of 20 listened I felt succesfull. One called me years later and said they heeded what I said. Had their dog OFA'd etc etc and felt they had better homes for their babies.

pitbulliest

that's excellent to know...around here people can still be pretty clueless..sometimes I make the effort to go into pet stores and let people know why they shouldn't even BE there looking at those dogs in the first place..some give me dirty looks but alot of them are like "Oh really? I had NO idea"...sadly, its just a lack of education..and what's more unfortunate is that nobody takes the initiative for these important facts to be taught in schools (where I believe it should all start...the younger the generation being exposed to these facts, the more that will be done about it in the future is what I believe)...

But anywho...that's just my perfect world...heh..

there are also some organizations that organize monthly protests in front of pet stores or on busy street corners and hand out pamphlets...it can be as little as five people or as many as 100..it doesn't really matter..just grab a few pamphlets (or make your own) and pass it out to people..you'd be surprised at how many folks will be shocked by what they never even knew existed!

That's my suggestion...and any time you suspect puppy mill action going on, give the SPCA a call..they'll be glad to go and check it out...

:)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I feel so left out :rolleyes: ....I have NEVER seen any dogs for sale in pets stores, other than the ones at petsmart, but that's different. :rolleyes:

Then you're very lucky!

Serious note: be sure you aren't handing out pamphlets in malls or other places where soliciting is prohibited without having the proper permission.

candy722

I tried to education someone at the petstore but they just don't listen. They think they are getting better dogs at pet store than getting it from a local breeder. Im just like what are you thinking? I don't know what it is, maybe they just want that feeling that they are getting a dog from a nice pet store. Don't know :confused:

I'm putting together fliers about puppy mills, with a little section on rescuing a puppy instead of purchasing one from a store--and with the puppy pictures on there, I think it should conince a lot of people ;). I'm going to pass them out to all of my neighbors, and hope to get some friends together to hold a sale or something to send to a local shelter. At the sale we'd have a booth complete with info on mills. Ah, I can't wait!!

tcreed

Gaddy! I was going to suggest the same thing. Up here, though it is rare to find a pet store puppy. There are only a couple of mom and pa shops with them.

tcreed said:
Gaddy! I was going to suggest the same thing. Up here, though it is rare to find a pet store puppy. There are only a couple of mom and pa shops with them.
I cannot tell you how many "pekeapoos" I see every day around here. As far as petshops.....there are only a few, but they're making big bucks offa the people around here. I'd say we need it here, lol!!

gaddy, would you be willing to send me some of the info your using (or maybe some web sites I could go to or something to get some info)? I would love to make fliers/brochures too but I'm unsure on the type of info to use/give. I've thought about it for a long time and I have several locations I'd like to leave them but I'm kinda clueless on how to start - I can handle the actual layout part pretty well, it's the info to put there that I need a jump start on :).

1sweetnopichick said:
gaddy, would you be willing to send me some of the info your using (or maybe some web sites I could go to or something to get some info)? I would love to make fliers/brochures too but I'm unsure on the type of info to use/give. I've thought about it for a long time and I have several locations I'd like to leave them but I'm kinda clueless on how to start - I can handle the actual layout part pretty well, it's the info to put there that I need a jump start on :).
Sure!! I'd be glad to. :)

Purr

~3 Mutts~
That's a terrific idea!! There are a ton of puppy stores about an hour from where I live. I walked into one, and walked out crying. Those puppies were being kept in cages that were too small, had runny noses and eyes (probably a few with Parvo, too) and when I tried to sneak my hand through the bars, to play with a puppy that was starved for attention :( , the mexican owner just yelled at me, and tapped on a sign that said "Please don't touch the puppies" or something like that. It was sickening.

oh thank you thank you thank you!!! If you want you can pm anything you want to share to me or you can e-mail them to me...I think my e-mail address is listed in my profile but just incase it's [email protected] or [email protected]. I'll get it at either one. And of course - no rush either. Thanks again - I really appreciate it!! :D

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Babyblue5290 said:
I feel so left out :rolleyes: ....I have NEVER seen any dogs for sale in pets stores, other than the ones at petsmart, but that's different. :rolleyes:
I have to take back my earlier comment, unfortunately. I haven't actually seen the puppies in a pet store, but I was talking to my cousin on the phone yesterday, she is 14 yrs., and she was telling me about these really cute puppies she saw in a pet store near her house. She lives in the same state as I do, about an hours drive away. I never saw these puppies before and she said it was just a little store with about 5 puppies. One beagle, and 4 poodle puppies. Well I asked her if she knew what a puppy mill was and she said No. I told her all about it and that stores like that get puppies from these puppy mills. She wasn't too impressed with my speech, but when I show her some images of the puppy mills she WILL change her mind. I know she will.
Since I have never had a situation like this, I was wondering if there was something I could do to help stop this store from getting business. Gaddy would you be willing to e-mail me a copy of your flier's so I can print them out and hand them to people or hang them up where I can?

1sweetnopichick said:
oh thank you thank you thank you!!! If you want you can pm anything you want to share to me or you can e-mail them to me...I think my e-mail address is listed in my profile but just incase it's [email protected] or [email protected]. I'll get it at either one. And of course - no rush either. Thanks again - I really appreciate it!! :D
You're welcome :).

If anyone has any puppy pictures they are willing to let me use on the flier, I would be soo very grateful!!

I have a ton of pictures of my dogs but none of what we're doing. I'll see what I can round up...feel free to use what ever I find!!

I'm actually getting excited about this - I know it's not going to change the world but hey...1st steps are always the hardest.

It breaks my heart to see these poor little puppies in cages in the pet stores. They should be playing and in a house with a family being loved. I myself have never bought a animal from a pet store. The only reason I ever would is just to free them from the awful environment they are in. I just try never to go into one because it makes me sick to see that. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.