Pad Problem

L

LabBreeder

Ok, here's the deal. A few months ago our Lab had a small cut on her back foot just below the bottom part of her pad. We kept it clean, put antibiotics on it and kept it wrapped for a few days so there wouldn't be any infection. Her pad looked fine the last time we looked at it.
Today, I noticed her licking her foot more than usual. When I looked, it was the same pad that had the cut before but it was a little swollen. I don't know if the swelling is from her licking at it so much or what? There is no cut, no marks, nothing visibly wrong except the swelling. It reminds me of a zit that's not ready to pop so there's no head to it...but if you squeezed it you might get something from it. I know that sounds nasty, but that's the best analogy I could think of.
Either way...any ideas? She's not limping or favoring that foot in any way. There are no marks, no blood, no cuts. She's just licking it more than usual and it's a small swollen spot below the biggest part of the pad. To get an idea of the size...the swollen spot is about as big as the average button on a phone.

Julie

I am back again.
Is it "mushy" like it could be filled with puss?
It could be an abcess. If so, it might need drained and oral script antibiotics.

Since it looks abnormal to you, maybe you should check with a vet.

L

LabBreeder

not really squishy. it kind of depends on how you hold her paw as to what it feels like. it's soft, but not like something with puss in it (if ya know what i mean). we're taking Gunner to the vet next week to get his 10 wk old shots and were bringing Tira to get her ears looked at (she shakes her head, gently and only a few times, and then sometimes scratches afterwards....i've treated for ear mites and her ears look much better...but way down in the ear it's squishy sounding when you rub the outside base of her ears and it's brown and wet when we cotton ball it.) we'll have him look at her pad then as long as nothing happens before then.

bubbatd

Sounds like you need an earlier appt. Until then, I'd soak the paw in warm Epsom salt water.

Members online

No members online now.