Ever work overnights?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I kind of want to apply for this job... it sounds pretty cool and it is full time which is so needed.... but it's overnights and weekends. Which is not very cool. I pretty much prefer to be nocturnal anyway, I just don't know if I'd really want to be on an opposite schedule from the rest of the world.

So, anyone got experience? Does it suck as much as it sounds like it would?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Yes and no. If you're naturally a night owl its awesome. If you're not it sucks.

Plus, the overnights I've worked I just have to be in the building. I can actually go to sleep if I want. :p

I worked some overnights during the summers in college. I worked the overnights during the week, then I had a daytime job on the weekends, and so the constant back and forth absolutely totally sucked. I needed the money so bad I did it, though.

I'm not sure it would have been that much better without the daytime job, too, since on the weekends all your friends with jobs with normal jobs want to do daytime things. I always had a hard time sleeping during the day, too.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm a bartender, night IS my job lol

Honestly? I prefer it, but ive always preferred to work at night and have the day to do things. My mom has worked nights since we got older, so it's kinda always been in my house a way of life. Need be, I can plan it so I'm up early in the morning (month end inventory days I go in at 9am), but most of the time I wake up around 1 (used to be later, then along came the bf texting around 1 LOL) and have time to do stuff before work and before it gets dark.

Oh yah, and I an usually the only employee there, so I can do whatever I want. I hardly ever have to work when the bar manager is around, which is a bonus for me

Dreeza

I havent done it, but many who do this really develop sleep issues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_work_sleep_disorder)

I think to consider this you really need to be healthy & know that it prob won't be sustainable permanently. I'd prob consider it if the job REALLY sounded worth it.

I'm sure having a social life would be REALLY difficult as well...so keep that in mind.

joce

My dad and cousin have alway worked nights. They both can go on very little sleep. My cousin gets home trailers up the horses and goes riding. Might then sleep or sleep right before work. Works great for her. I know my dad was always upset when he was made to do days.

Weekends suck though. I am finishing my bachelors in hopes of getting out of them someday. I work days and evenings ( till 11:30pm ) now and I just don't care for it so much anymore. I would prefer all days no weekends. Not a night owl anymore. I do sometimes stay till 3am on rare occasion. You will get used to it. Or not lol! My body never knows what to expect with the back and forth.

k9krazee

In college I worked 2-7am pretty regularly doing night security in the dorms. It gave me a chance to do homework and I pretty much slept from the time I got out of class until I had to go to work. No social life, my sleep schedule sucked and it was exhausting. I really need 8-9 hours of sleep to function though, so it wasn't for me.

Now I don't have to stay up but I am on call at nights and if the phone rings at 3am I have to be ready to go and be out for a couple hours. I've adapted well and have adjusted accordingly.

But if you want to try it and think the job sounds interesting I say go for it! What do you have to lose? You might love it, you might hate it but you could always change it up.

lizzybeth727

I've never worked overnights, but I did work nights and weekends for a few years. I usually worked noon-9. Which wouldn't've been too bad, except that my two roommates - my best friends - worked completely opposite schedules (7am-4pm, and 4am-noon) so we pretty much never saw each other and were always yelling at somebody for making too much noise while somebody else was trying to sleep.

Anyway, I liked working noon-9, because I was a night owl and LOVED being able to sleep in in the morning. But what was really annoying was that when I got off work, all the stores were closed, nothing good was on TV, restaurants were serving the crappy food, and all my friends were getting ready to go to bed. I LOVED having two weekdays off - to be off while EVERYBODY is at work is really lovely - but I did hate working weekends. Especially Saturday nights.

Overall I'm happier now with a 9-5, Mon-Fri schedule, but there are definately perks to working off-schedules.

I've worked nights for the last 10 years. 5-2am, or even up to 4am I am ok with. Midnight to ten am I am NOT ok with. And I am a night owl. I can never get more than 3 or hours sleep during the day and I just always feel tired and off.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
My favorite is 8 to 5am. Totally works well for my regular sleep cycle. Its what I revert to by default.

I find I need to get home and in bed before the sun comes up, then I am ok. If I watch the sun come up, I am beyond help.

I work with girls who pull graveyard after graveyard then go to a regular job and are OK. I'm made of lesser stuff, I guess.

Yea I worked a midnight-8am shift and by the time I got home there was no way I was sleeping. If I'd worked until 4 or 5 am I would have been ok, but getting home mid morning was a huge problem for sleeping.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah what's most annoying about it is that I don't know when I'd ever get stuff done. Or spend time with anyone since everyone else works "normal" hours. I think it's the weekend thing that is turning me off the most... if I had weekends off, that would be doable. And that's one of the reasons why I am hating retail so much right now, I HATE spending the entire weekend working.

Generally though if I'm left to my own devices, I naturally stay up into the wee hours of the morning and sleep into the afternoon. But who knows how much I would like that if I HAD to be on that schedule.

Hm. Might have to apply. At first I automatically wrote it off once I saw it was overnights. But maybe it wouldn't be bad.

LindaJD

I worked the 10-6 am shift for a few years and I really liked it. Then they stopped the night shift and had to switch to days, now I work 5:30-1:30 pm. I have gained weight since I stoppped nights but I also like the hours I have now and I don't do week-ends. put my foot down about that.
I would go to sleep right when I got home til about 12 and then take about an hour nap before I went in at night.

elegy

overdogged
I worked 8-6 Monday - Thursday for three years or something. My problems came because I'd want to flip my sleep schedule every weekend so that I could exist with the rest of the world. I was constantly messed up, and constantly exhausted. It wasn't that good.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I worked a 10p-6a shift for about a year and a midnight-9a shift for six months. The first wasn't too bad. I didn't work weekends so it didn't really impact my social life at all...I'd be sleeping while normal people were workings and waking up about the time they got home.

The midnight-9a was awful but that was partly because of the work environment and partly because I often didn't actually get to leave til 10, 11am. By which time the sun had been up for hours. And the neighbor kids would get home from school around 2:30 and wake me up with their screaming & playing 20ft from my window...

Miakoda

My hubby works shift work at the plant (alternates days and nights). Working nights isn't all that rare down here considering how much plants account for employment in this area.

Miakoda

My hubby works shift work at the plant (alternates days and nights). Working nights isn't all that rare down here considering how much plants account for employment in this area.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I'm still collecting my EMS hours as slave labour. I prefer 6pm - 6am over 6am - 6pm.

I'm on nights thursday to monday this weekend, and sort of look forward to it. I like it better than days.

Members online

No members online now.