Pyrenean Shepherd

JacksonsMom

Any info on these dogs?

I skimmed through the dog show online this morning and saw the Pyrenean Shepherd in the herding group. I had honestly never heard of them before and they looked really cool so I went to google.

Anybody have any more info on them? I read a few basic breed standard things but I know sometimes those don't give all the info.

I know they have rough-faced and smooth-faced. I like the looks of the smooth faced ones, particularly these:

Here's the rough:

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
One of the trainers with my Agility club has one, his name is Boone. He's a rescue though so i'm not sure if his skittishness with people is a breed trait or if it's a result of him being a rescue.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I LOVE them and they're on the list for me. I've talked to a few breeders and was actually seriously considering one for my second dog, then my mom passed away and I put that on hold and the breeder wasn't having any smooths born the next year so I passed and ended up with Mia (in a long roundabout way).

Skittishness and fear are the biggest issues I've heard of in the breed. Much like shelties, aussies, etc, pyr sheps are one man dogs and don't like strangers. Though I hear pyr sheps are even moreso than shelties and aussies. Many don't like strange people handling them at all. Really from talking to breeders and owners (I'm still on a pyrshep list actually) is that they're somewhat between aussies and shelties temperament wise. They are supposed to be highly driven and are often referred to as having as much nervous energy in a small body as possible.

I have never met one and both the breeders I had talked to required that you meet some pyr sheps before committing to owning the breed. They said they just are quirky temperaments that don't appeal to all (most) people.

I still want one and would love a smooth merle, fawn, or brindle. <3 Unfortunately the breeder I like basically only has roughs though.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
They are my favorite "small" breed. Appearance-wise, I also greatly prefer smooths.

That said, the dogs I like have the "better you than me" effect on most people, so mine may not be a good recommendation.

Only thing I am leery of is the shyness since I'm one whose pride is not at all effected by a dog who likes most people...all I care about is that they are confident. I tend to social the living daylights out of any furbutt that crosses my path, though, so a Pyr Shep would have a fighting chance I think.

JacksonsMom

From what I've read in the last 30 minutes, all the websites state the thing about the shyness and not liking strangers and to socialize a ton! That doesn't scare me off too much because Jackson also isn't big on strangers- he kind of just could care less about them but I've socialized the crap out of him and he's become pretty good with people now at 2 years old and will even allow a petting, etc, which didn't happen a year ago. So I do feel like I have experience with shy or reserved dogs in a way. I don't know if they may be more extreme than Jackson. But I'd obviously go meet a few before ever deciding on a breed anyways, like Laur said, to see if I 'click' with them or mesh with their personality.

I wonder how true this is...
The smooth-faced variety is not as high-strung as the rough-faced variety and tends to be more tractable. He is more outgoing with strangers and has a very lively, cheerful disposition.

PYRENEAN SHEPHERDS

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The shyness concerns me but I've pretty much realized that every breed I like tends to the shy and neurotic side of things if they're not bred carefully or socialized a lot. So I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I'd like to avoid another Trey though.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I know numerous agility people locally with them. All the ones I've met are well bred and socialized like crazy like most other agility dogs I know. Most don't like people other than their own family. Highly socialized and many are still a little skittish and shy. It is not something that can necessarily be 'fixed' seems like a breed trait, not a poorly bred dog trait.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Skittishness and fear are the biggest issues I've heard of in the breed. Much like shelties, aussies, etc, pyr sheps are one man dogs and don't like strangers. Though I hear pyr sheps are even moreso than shelties and aussies. Many don't like strange people handling them at all. Really from talking to breeders and owners (I'm still on a pyrshep list actually) is that they're somewhat between aussies and shelties temperament wise. They are supposed to be highly driven and are often referred to as having as much nervous energy in a small body as possible.
This I hear quite often, which makes them as conformation dogs an issue unless they (1) change the temperament or (2) socialize the heck out of them from day one!

elegy

overdogged
the couple i've met (all la brise dogs active in agility and conformation) haven't been terribly skittish but they are omg barky.

i find them very attractive though. lots of drive, very agile, very nicely put together dogs, and a good size.

i've considered a pyr shep but steve is barky enough. i don't think i could handle more barky.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I really like them but I probably wouldn't gte on. The first two pics you posted I'm pretty sure are both La, Silvia Trkman's dog. La is amazing, she is the dog that got me interested in the breed.
Apparently they are just nuts, skitz little dogs, always on the go, like a BC on crack. The reason I don't know if they would suit is that I like serious dog that concentrate and don't have times for silly games. I dunno, maybe one day.

There is some good info on them on Silvia Trkman's website.
LoLaBu Land

Members online

No members online now.