Need help in finding a puppy (with my eyes open!)

mrose_s

BusterLove
if your still thinking about breeds, i have to recomend a greyhound. you could look for one tempermant tested with cats and small dogs. they dont really shed. and are very docile.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Wow the internet makes it so much more easier to research this stuff.
i agree, i would have never got his many expert opinions unless i had spent months going all over the place and spending tonnes on it.

i also have to congragulate you on researching this. one more person that is aware of puppy mills, BYB's and pet shops is one more person that brings us that much closer to shutting them down for good.

mrose_s

BusterLove
also, not to sure about am. staffs. not even sure how much if any they differ from what i just know as staffy's.

(so are staffys and am. staffs different?)

but i've met a fair few staffy's. and all have been lovley. my auntie had a staffy and a pit mix when i was growing up. i spent a lot of time at her house. and a lot of time in bed with her dogs. lol

i really think staffy's are one of the best all round breeds in existence. they just all seem to be so joyous and have such great temperments

Moni

Looking for a new puppy
I am pretty excited. My hubby and I are going to look at a couple Staffy pups tomorrow.

We returned tonight from our local Humane Society and we did fall in love with a beautiful pup named Ava there. My almost 3 yr old and 13 yr old son played with Ava for quite some time. The staff "think" she has some Akita in her but are not quite sure. I am hoping maybe one of you could take a gander at her picture at the below link and give me your thoughts?

Her body, as you can see, is this light color with these specs of brown in there. This continues down to her legs and feet. It almost reminds me of a spaniel or a setter but not sure. The staff look at her face and did some research and think her head looks like that of an Akita. The vet tech thought she might have terrier...so I am not sure. It is quite a game isn't it?? :)

Regardless, she does have a lean body and is quite graceful when she runs. Also, she is a smart girl and I noticed that she did not jump up on us nor was she a barker. I did see she was very observant as she was watching a bird in the distant very intently. She was very content just playing fetch.

So, thoughts anyone? My husband's only concern was that looking at her paws she might get big and we want an indoor dog. We were also thinking of the shedding factor but she does have short hair.

Here's the link:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8378773

Thanks again!
Moni

Ladychaos

Has the siamese disease
Thank you so much for choosing to adopt a dog! i personally prefer adopting a puppy to a breeder anyday. So i celebrate when people turn to adopting. There is so many dogs need homes. And unless you plan to breed/show dogs I don't see why you can't atleast -try- to find a rescue dog. -shrug- my opinion is just that an opinion so please nobody get offended ^.^ Btw, www.petfinder.com is a great place to find dogs or puppies thats how i found a friend a lab pup.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Large dogs don't necessarily have to be outside dogs - I have two Dobermans in a large apartment, and we're just fine! Small dogs take up just as much room as large dogs, need the same amount of indoor running space as large dogs, etc.

I'm guessign she will shed - if she's an Akita mix, and white, she'll shed! Just means you'll have to vaccuum a bit more. Honestly, my Dobermans shed a bit, but I hardly notice it.

wookie130

I agree with the large dog thing...I have 2 extremely large dogs, and we're about to add a basset pup in June. She'll be a big girl on short legs, no doubt. We have a small house, and our dogs are all indoor pets. We do have fenced-in yard for potty and playtime breaks, which is great...but for the majority of the day, our big canine children stay in with us. It's just fine!

Little Ava is a SWEETHEART!!! I would encourage you to adopt a puppy as well!

Large dogs don't necessarily have to be outside dogs - I have two Dobermans in a large apartment, and we're just fine! Small dogs take up just as much room as large dogs, need the same amount of indoor running space as large dogs, etc.

I'm guessign she will shed - if she's an Akita mix, and white, she'll shed! Just means you'll have to vaccuum a bit more. Honestly, my Dobermans shed a bit, but I hardly notice it.
Exactly!!!!! I have a Dachshund and a Welsh Corgi, and they're take up just as much room as any large dog that I've had. My Corgi sheds a lot, but I keep her nicely brushed and bathed. My Dachshund doesn't hardly shed at all!

Ava looks like such a sweetheart!!! I hope that you're able to adopt a dog who needs a home. Sounds like it will have a wonderful one with you!

bubbatd

Agree !!! I wouldn't go by size or shedding . You want a family member ! Decide on a breed and then check out the breed clubs in your area for recommended litters . Or just keep checking Petfinders and your local HS.

Ladychaos

Has the siamese disease
Akitas will deffinatly shed, by the way. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with a cat and a 55lb. pit bull mix. I take him on 2/1hr walks a day and take 1 or 2 trips to the dog park once a week. He just needs lots of exercise but he does great in the apartment ^.^

ks02

I would look at Petfinder.com and find a nice lab mix. Labs are GREAT dogs, very intelligent, wonderful with kids and always willing to play. They do shed, but it's not so bad if you brush the dog daily. Some can get fairly big, but there are also just as many that never top 50. My lab is now going on 10months and is at almost 80 pounds, but he doesn't take up a whole lot of room or get too rambunctious if we give him a fair amount of exercise. Labs/lab mixes are also usually the last to be adopted (particularly if they are black) because people find them "ordinary" looking. It's such a shame....they really are great dogs. Good luck in whatever you decide. I'm so glad you're doing some research!

I haven't read any of the posts but yes any 'breeder' in my opinion that breeds any mix isn't a good breeder and any breeder that breeds more than 2 breeds at the same time generally isn't great either.
What came immediately to mind for your family is a miniature poodle. Poodles of any size are fantastic family dogs (though a toy might be too fragile for younger kids) They are low shed (all dogs lose a bit of hair) inteligent, trainable, and love everything (I have owned one poodle and known many and most love everything) They do require regular visits to the groomer and if you want any length to the hair you will need to brush regularily as well. Since they are intelligent it is recommended to do obediance or agility or atleast give the dog good exercise and basic obedience so you give the dog daily mind and body exercise to keep it from getting into trouble from boredom.
and an added bonus is that a well bred well groomed poodle is GORGEOUS!!!
Here is a quick pic of my small mini Stryder

Members online

No members online now.