Conformation handling

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
So glad color and markings isn't a thing in my breed. I would be so frustrated if we lost because of something like a body spot. I assume the standard lists body spots as a fault?
Nope! They aren't a fault.. just undesirable. It's literally a single spot on her butt. One judge could make her BOB and another could dismiss me from the class. I don't agree with it, but each breed has something I guess.

This is the girl I'm showing. As you can see, her body spot is RIGHT on top of her butt. Warning- Pic will be large as it is off FB.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Just go in and make a fool of yourself... That's what I do :D

Honestly, just watching what the others do helps.

Make sure you line up towards the back so you can watch the people ahead of you. That helps me remember what I'm supposed to do.

Try not to faff too much (I do this way too much). Like moving legs back and forth, fidgeting with the dog to get a good stand. The dogs don't like it, and it makes you stress lol

Don't use bait at all if you can help it. If your dog is anything like Fred they will heel looking up at you being a good boy, and judges don't like that lol

Don't forget you can take your time, don't feel rushed. When it's your turn to move, gather yourself up, and set off. If you screw your set off up, just go again.

Don't take it too seriously.... Honestly, it's just a fashion show, and I don't know about the US but here it more about the face of the handler than the dog being shown :rolleyes: at the end of the day, all a show does is tell you you have a pretty dog, it doesn't tell you anything else about the dog. So don't get too hung up on it!!! That's my take on it all anyway :)

It's all over in minutes! Blink and you've been round :D

And good luck!!!

crazedACD

You should have said something! You could have totally stayed with me (if you felt comfortable of course). We are about 20 minutes away from the expo center.

I'll most likely be handling my own dog next year, as I've gotta put a Ch title on her.
The ACD specialty is in TN next year...we should meet up ;).

Elrohwen

Nope! They aren't a fault.. just undesirable. It's literally a single spot on her butt. One judge could make her BOB and another could dismiss me from the class. I don't agree with it, but each breed has something I guess.
That would drive me nuts! I can't think of anything like that related to my breed, which is one reason I like showing it, I guess. Of course, there's subjectivity and what one judge thinks is a beautiful coat, another thinks is too much coat, but nothing that would make a judge automatically dismiss a particular dog.

I'm a fair weather show person. If my dog isn't particularly easy to finish, I'm not interested. lol I can't imagine showing in the super popular breeds where it can take an owner/handler years to finish a dog.

krissy

I'm a fair weather show person. If my dog isn't particularly easy to finish, I'm not interested. lol I can't imagine showing in the super popular breeds where it can take an owner/handler years to finish a dog.
But then you have the opposite problem with an uncommon breed. We never had competition in the breed ring, so to get points we would have to win at group. Brand new handler, immature dog... tough to do. I would have stayed more interested and motivated if we actually had some competition!

Elrohwen

But then you have the opposite problem with an uncommon breed. We never had competition in the breed ring, so to get points we would have to win at group. Brand new handler, immature dog... tough to do. I would have stayed more interested and motivated if we actually had some competition!
I'm in a similar position with my Welshie. Luckily there are a few shows that at least one or two class dogs will show up to every year, but putting together a major is hard. My first show was against one special, who is the #3 Welshie in the country, and in my next two shows I won the breed against one dog and went to the group ring. So yeah, it's very different for uncommon breeds. There are tons of local shows I don't bother going to because I know there won't be competition.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Just go in and make a fool of yourself... That's what I do :D

Honestly, just watching what the others do helps.

Make sure you line up towards the back so you can watch the people ahead of you. That helps me remember what I'm supposed to do.

!
One of the US people correct me if I'm wrong I'm only goin off what we do with the CKC

We don't pick when we go in the ring. The ring steward calls us in by our arm band number and that's the order you go in.

What class is she entered in? If she whont get bored easy then go right when the Jr puppy dogs are called and you can watch all of the classes

Elrohwen

One of the US people correct me if I'm wrong I'm only goin off what we do with the CKC

We don't pick when we go in the ring. The ring steward calls us in by our arm band number and that's the order you go in.

What class is she entered in? If she whont get bored easy then go right when the Jr puppy dogs are called and you can watch all of the classes
Yep, that's correct for the AKC too. You go in order of class, and within the class you are ordered by number. I like to get there early enough to watch a breed or two before mine, so I can see what the judge is having everyone do, because I'm usually in first for my breed with my pup.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Good to know. I know something's are done differently. I haven't been to a AKC event but I am under the impression you get your arm bands from the ring steward where we get them from the show secretary.

crazedACD

I was looking at this too, there are virtually no ACDs being shown up here :/. There IS a Facebook group for building majors in my breed, everyone tries to attend the same show, which I would have to utilize if I wanted to finish (unless I managed to win groups).

Elrohwen

I was looking at this too, there are virtually no ACDs being shown up here :/. There IS a Facebook group for building majors in my breed, everyone tries to attend the same show, which I would have to utilize if I wanted to finish (unless I managed to win groups).
I just found the FB group for my breed and it's awesome (previously I relied on my breeder to tell me which shows to attend). I was so close to getting both majors done at our last show, but it looks like there might be some more in November.

I do still think a rare breed is easier, as long as you can find some competition. Many dogs finish in my breed by 13-18 months if the owner gets out to shows, while in some breeds you don't have a chance until the dog is 2 or 3.

crazedACD

I just found the FB group for my breed and it's awesome (previously I relied on my breeder to tell me which shows to attend). I was so close to getting both majors done at our last show, but it looks like there might be some more in November.

I do still think a rare breed is easier, as long as you can find some competition. Many dogs finish in my breed by 13-18 months if the owner gets out to shows, while in some breeds you don't have a chance until the dog is 2 or 3.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to pursue conformation, I'm so..in the middle. There's the 4-6 month puppy class, no pro handlers, and a big show Thanksgiving weekend...Fiona will be four months that day. Considering entering but then again..I only have four weeks to get to that point. I'm half heartedly working on stacking but I'm still undecided. I would need a show lead and show clothes of which I have none..ack. :p

Don't be nervous. :)
Watch breed videos from westminster. Most handlers there do a decent enough job that you can try to mimic the things they do.

Get a mirror. If you can't go to handling class stack the dog in front of a mirror and see what poses look good with the dog. See what looks best for foot placement.

I've been showing my whole life and had major issues running because I grew really tall really quickly. So many different people tried explaining to me how to run, sophomore year I went to my high school cross country coach and started doing practices. My coach taught me proper form and it's how I run in the ring now. I'm assuming you're not in school and can't do this but you can watch videos on line of proper form. It helped me so much. Stand up straight. Take long steps. Keep your shoulders forward.

Make sure you get to the show plenty early. You don't want to stress about time while stressing about showing. :p

Gypsydals

and a big show Thanksgiving weekend...Fiona will be four months that day. Considering entering but then again..I only have four weeks to get to that point. I'm half heartedly working on stacking but I'm still undecided. I would need a show lead and show clothes of which I have none..ack. :p
There is a puppy match that friday at the lansing shows (thanksgiving weekend). As far as show leads if her owner doesn't have one, you can wait until the show to get those. And for show clothes go to Goodwill or any second hand store. You can also check on ebay. What size do you wear? I have a bunch that I don't use or can't fit into anymore.

Elrohwen

I'm still trying to decide if I want to pursue conformation, I'm so..in the middle. There's the 4-6 month puppy class, no pro handlers, and a big show Thanksgiving weekend...Fiona will be four months that day. Considering entering but then again..I only have four weeks to get to that point. I'm half heartedly working on stacking but I'm still undecided. I would need a show lead and show clothes of which I have none..ack. :p
The show in W Springfield? We'll be there Saturday and Sunday. You should go!

For show clothes I just wear a skirt and top that I might wear to work. No suits or anything. Show leads are like $10 online, so you can order one and get a nicer one later. Mine is super cheap, but I'm keeping my eyes open for one I like.

Last edited:

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
You can pick up leads at the shows too. You don't need anything fancy. Solid color should do it. Personally I prefer the chain collars but if you can get a nice one that matches your dog and its the cord material that's fine too.

You can get some really nice kangaroo leather show leads on Etsy.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
The contract for my ACD in a few months says I have to Ch her by 2. I don't think it should be too terribly difficult. My breed isn't insanely popular, but we do have some decent competition around here. Unless she turns out just phenomenally stellar, I highly doubt I will go for a Grand Ch.

I've been trying to find Westminster show clips on Youtube and it's not going well. I can't find any decent video of people running around, tbh.

The mirror idea is really good! I will definitely have to try some in front of the mirror.

I plan on basically spending my entire weekend at this dog show to watch/learn and so that I don't miss my class. I hope to God I'm not in first.

krissy

The contract for my ACD in a few months says I have to Ch her by 2.
I'm curious... what does that mean? Kili has been to 4 shows and no points. I mean, if the dog isn't placing even if you're showing... I just don't get that statement. If you show her but don't get the Ch by two then what? Just seems like a weird ultimatum....

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I'm curious... what does that mean? Kili has been to 4 shows and no points. I mean, if the dog isn't placing even if you're showing... I just don't get that statement. If you show her but don't get the Ch by two then what? Just seems like a weird ultimatum....
I also wonder this ..is it common for this to be a thing? I know my breeder requires a Ch& hunt titles before she hands over the breeding rights to a dog. There's no time limit though. Just before it pops out/ creates baby dogs!

Members online

No members online now.