Missing Link Supplement

Mordy

Quigleyfied
with the innova evo, it's not really needed.

i'd rather supply some fresh extras rather than adding a processed supplement to a processed food.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
fruits, veggies, a bit of yogurt or cottage cheese, the occasional egg, some fresh meat, some jack mackerel or canned salmon packed in water - they are all equally important. :)

i'd start out with one or two teaspoons per day to introduce some variety. the schedule is really up to you. you can feed a diet of half evo and half home prepared extras if you like.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Ok thanks! Tomorrow I'll give maybe a slice of apple with her dinner and the next day some broccoli. One more question though, Will adding all these things (not all at once) afect the way her stools come out? Will they be soft or runny?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
they might be a little soft or runny during the period of time where your dog is getting used to more variety in the diet. that's nothing to be alarmed about tho. :)

keep a can of pumpkin (pure, not the spiced pie filling mix) on hand and add a teaspon or two as needed.

one thing you need to keep in mind is that the digestive tract of a dog can not break down plant cell walls - so if you want to feed fruits or veggies, feeding them in big chunks will pretty much make them come out the same way they went in.

so any stuff of that sort will have to be either mechanically (blender, food processor) or chemically (cooking/steaming, being overripe) broken down so the dog can digest it.

you'd need to mash that apple into applesauce or steam the broccoli so it becomes digestible.

what i do is steam several pounds of 3-5 different veggies, then put them in the blender to make an applesauce-like consistency. to this i add some kelp powder, then package it with the meat part of the diet in portion-sized rations and into the freezer it goes. if you don't have much space, use snack-sized zip lock baggies - you can lay them out flat on a tray and 30 or 40 of them don't take up much space at all.

thaw on the counter or in the refrigerator over night and feed in the morning. :)

Members online

No members online now.