I can't believe it, I just can't. My poor Ruby-girl...

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Yesterday morning: Ruby has been on her Propalin for a few days. Every time we give it to her she quiets down for half an hour or so, gets all subdued, and I rang the vet yesterday just to check this was ok. They said it was - and quite common.

Early afternoon: I'm walking through the house and I find Ruby by the front door, sitting up in a strange, stiff position, not panting but heavily breathing. She won't come when she's called. I go and give her a cuddle, and she moves away. She makes it up the stairs and then sits in front of the lounge, panting. I go to the kitchen and call her. She doesn't turn her head, she doesn't flick an ear, she doesn't acknowledge me at all. Max goes to her, and has to physically move her out of the way. She has leaked all over the floor. He has to help her walk to the back door. After a few steps she trots out there, tail wagging, normal. I think it is another absence seizure like she's had before. Ring the vet - confirmed by him. It's a form of epilepsy, there's nothing we can do - he says she is experiencing the `aura' not the fits themselves, which is good. This is only her second one. We hope they continue to be as rare as they are at the moment. But....epilepsy? After all we've just been through with her? It's so unfair.

Later in the afternoon: I go and do the food shopping. Get home, Max is frantic. Chester has been incontinent with diarrhoea on his bed, and Ruby has started having a panic attack, racing through the house and acting as though she's got a grass seed or something - shaking her head. Freaking out. She settles as soon as she sees me, and sits on my feet, leaning all her weight back into me. As I give her a cuddle I notice a wet patch under her throat - I look and there is a pink, swollen, oozing and bleeding mass of fur there. No phone call this time, straight in the car and to the vet.

Now for the worst part. This is all because of her Halti. Because it clips behind her ear, I never noticed that it was rubbing under her throat. She's had the Halti two years and it's never caused this before. And what's worse, I've been continuing to put it on her despite the fact that she was getting rubbed raw and I didn't know. I put it on her to take her to the vet, and left off her collar, because I thought it might have been that - it's new. The vet agrees with me that Chester pooped on his bed because he identified with her extreme stress.

She is on antibiotics and Phenergan for ten days. The pain and distress of it has made her incontinent again despite the Propalin. Last night she kept disappearing into remote corners of the house to be alone. She woke me at 4am panting frantically and heavily at the door to our room. She only quieted when I stroked her head. I stayed up all night stroking her head, and she finally fell asleep on my lap this morning. It has been a terrible, terrible 24 hours with her - and I just feel so dreadful that it happened at all. I can't imagine her distress. She is SO sick, and I've never seen her this way. It was the distress that brought on the absence seizure.

Thank God she still loves me. :( What a faithful, brave girl.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
((hugs)) Poor Ruby...I will be sending good thoughts your way...I hope she gets well soon...((hugs again))

jason_els

I think the most you can do is keep her quiet and her environment even more so. Dress the wounds and keep your calm. The dogs will sense your distress and that won't help calm the household.

You've caught the problem, you're curing it, and now it's just a matter of time to heal. You're a good owner and you love your dogs. That makes for a great home and they'll do ok if you lead them in that direction.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Thank you guys. Again, I am amazed at the love of dogs. When I left the room this morning to get a fresh towel for her to lie on, she wagged her tail when I came back, and gave me a kiss, before she went back to sleep. Sweet girl. That made me cry!

Jason you're right about staying calm - the times she stopped really anxiously panting last night were the times I just spoke very softly and gently to her, stroking her head. She's much calmer this morning - she rolled on her back and asked for a belly rub - and she got one! A very slow, smooth, gentle rub all up her belly and chest, and she fell into a really deep sleep. I left her like that and she's still flat on her back.

Last night she couldn't lie down because everywhere she put her head, it hurt her throat. So she's finally sleeping peacefully. I'm hoping today she will have something to eat and drink - so far she's refused all foods (even the most tempting treats) and all water. She must be so thirsty but I know she'll drink when she's ready.

It's her birthday tomorrow - I hope she feels much better by then.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh poor girl! Well, you've caught it now and are making her feel better, so of course she still loves you!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Well, she just had a small meal and a big drink. She ate up all her tablets in her meal and didn't spaz out too much when I gave her her Propalin shot. :D

She just wagged her tail for no reason for a full five minutes and when that happens we know that Ruby is back. Normally her tail never stops, even when she's asleep.

She still feels rotten - and is still looking at me with `I want to die' eyes, but she's more animated and less anxious, so we're much happier.

Giny

Aw, poor baby! She sounds so loved by you, she's a very lucky girl to have someone so devoted. Keep us posted on her condition.

HUGs to you and Ruby. She will be back to her usual self soon, and you will feel better soon. You are a good owner, and love your dogs.

Members online

No members online now.