barking problem

Berettas Mom

Remingtons too!
Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been on, but Beretta's been doing very well in the puppy traing department, except for one small problem. She barks at whomever she wants something from. If she thinks she needs a treat, she barks at me. I have learned to control this for the most part by ignoring her and it is working fairly well. The problem that I don't know what to do about is she also barks at her big brother Remington when he has something she wants, or she wants to play and he's ignoring her. Remington is a very laid back dog and allows her to use him as a doormat for the most part, so i know some of this is a dominence thing on her part, but it's driving me crazy!! suggestions??

otch1

What breed is she and how old? These issues factor into it. Let her know if she's going to draw attention to herself in that manner, she's going to be put to work each time. Divert her attention from the object she's demanding from Remington and make her do a series of sits and downs. The final command (after approx. 3 or 4 sits, downs, back up to sit, then down) should be a down and "leave it". While obedience work should be fun for her, she needs to know play time stops and she gets put to work each time she's "pushy". Generally this works very well for an older puppy. Once her timing on executing a command is sharper, she's simply placed in a down and told "leave it" or "quiet' when she begins barking excessively. This exercise is usually a good one to start with. Good luck!

Berettas Mom

Remingtons too!
Thanks for your advice. I guess any prevention from me would be helpful. She knows how to sit, so I'll start with that. Beretta is 5 mos. old and a yellow lab. She's smart, but a little spoiled. Need to work on that!!

Members online

No members online now.