Whats better?? OFA or Pennhip

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
OFA you can choose not to submit the xrays for an analasys.
That is one thing I HATE about OFA. If x-rayed they should be required to be sent and reviewed.

By the way, don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, often folks that PH also OFA by simply having an x-ray done for OFA. The OFA fee is very low ($35.00 for both hips and elbows) and so if you decide to go PH why not have OFA too?
:D

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
I have switched to PH since it gives a better view of how lax is lax and if a dog is injured PH will show it where OFA will fail it and not give specifics.
They actualyl don't fail it. :) I contacted OFA about a dog in Visa's pedigree that had an OFA number but only had listed results on one hip. When I asked, they said that the other hip had a prior injury and so that hip was not given a score.

GDC scored each hip and so does PH ive never seen a OFA report that scores each hip they are both scored to a result of passing results from BL to Excellent. Maybe things have changed since I have not done a OFA in a few years since I found a pH and OVC.

PH does shoot a OFA view submitted to them . You can ask them to double up on that film for you to submit as I was just told but Vets do not tell you this because PH vets are anti OFA.

OFA gives false idealisms to novices breeders that breeding 2 passing dogs will produce all passing progeny. Where the PH is more realistic in trying to reduce the PH meen to a lower number over a course of each generation .
And im sorry $300 is very pricey for a PH but normal for HUGE dogs...
Thank god i mircochip cause the vet wanted another $35 for that,Which is required

Spending another $100 ( 35 + 55 xray and postage) is allot to ask from breeders who are in the red before they xray. I guess if I owned a normal size dog I could do both...
But 140lb dogs cost a bundle due to the requirement of full anesthia vs OFA no anesthia required.

Once you convert to PH the OFA becomes obsolete and a waste of money.

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
GDC scored each hip and so does PH ive never seen a OFA report that scores each hip they are both scored to a result of passing results from BL to Excellent. Maybe things have changed since I have not done a OFA in a few years since I found a pH and OVC.
You are right, they do only score both hips -- but if one of the hips had a prior injury they will only score the one that is ok. :) In the results I looked at, the dog had passed, and it said "Good bilateral left." I didn't understand what it meant, as it seemed it was saying that only the one hip was good -- I thought that then the other hip must be dysplastic, but the dog had an OFA number which meant it had passed. When I contacted OFA, they told me that the other hip had been fractured when the dog was younger.

Members online

No members online now.