Peanut Butter question....

I want to give some to Jade to see if she likes it but I dont know what to give her. Do you guys feed peanut butter straight out of a jar or is there peanut butter out there thats made for dogs...like the Kong Stuff'n Peanut Butter cans? Or maybe is there a brand that is better than the others? Also, how much do you give? Jade is only 5 1/2 or 6 pounds still so I know I cant give her too much, just wanna give her some as a treat every once in a while. Any help on this would be great, thanks! :)

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Regular ol' Peanut Butter always works for me. I don't use any particular brand; just whatever I have in the house. Use creamy, though; chunky is sort of hard to digest, and, those little chunks can be sharp.

Mine are junkies, lol! My Dad always gets those double packages of the huge jars of Jif at Sam's. I can't stand Jif (Peter Pan only, lol) so I use the Jif for treats for the dogs. I just don't tell my Dad, lol!

Ha ha! Our dogs love peanut butter too! (And it is the Jif kind. lol ;) ) I'll put some in the hollow bones our dogs have and then, if I have time, I'll freeze it so it is harder for them to eat. But my mom is about ready to throw a fit because I use the peanut butter we use! lol

Adrienne

I think that you are supposed to try to find one that is lower or low in sugar, just because it is healthier for the dog. I personally use Jiffy, the regular kind but next time I will buy the "natural" kind.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
ROFL Ritz! I currently have NO peanut butter, because I gave it to the dogs (I didn't O.D. them, though LOL). In fact, the other day, all I had was chunky peanut butter, and I felt bad, because they love it soooo much. I actually stood at the counter, and ran the peanut butter through a mesh strainer, because, I don't like to give them the chunks!! LOL I'm a crazy dog gurl...

Saje

Island dweller
i give mine chunky. Steve hates chunky and I don't like peanut butter so we buy one smooth and one chunky so steve has his and the dogs have theirs. I've bought natural before. It's good stuff but a lot more liquid then the one full of preservatives. Wouldn't stay in the kong. Might have been the brand though.

Well I just gave Jade and Sparkie their first taste of peanut butter and they are both following me around the house now looking for more, lol. Jade looked like she was gonna have a fit if I didnt give it to her any quicker than I was and Sparkie just sat there licking his lips waiting for more haha. I gave them Reeses Creamy Peanut Butter cause thats all we had in the house, but they seem to love it so thats ok with me. I guess they have a new treat. I always thought giving them peanut butter was a bad thing people did to make their dogs look funny while eating it, lol, but I guess not. Even though it was hillarious watching them licking their lips like crazy. But thanks for the responses guys! Jade and Sparkie thank you! :p

Saje, I've never run into a natural peanut butter that wasn't runny . . . or that I wanted to eat, lol! Peanut butter is my junk food vice, I'm afraid. Give me a Peter Pan creamy peanut butter sandwich with strawberry preserves and Snyders' potato chips and I'm happy . . .

Barb04

Super Moderator
I buy Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter. The oil separates, but I turn the jar upside down for a day and then take a knife and stir it all together. It doesn't separate after that. I like it since it doesn't contain extra sugar & it tastes good.

siemens716 said:
"s there peanut butter out there thats made for dogs...?" lol

If you're trying to make fun of me....have at it. But thats a reasonable question seeing as how there is. Maybe if you would have read the sentence after my question you would understand why I asked. Excuse me for asking a question. I'll remember not to next time if some people have to be rude about it.

Saje

Island dweller
Romeo_n_Juliet'sMomma said:
If you're trying to make fun of me....have at it. But thats a reasonable question seeing as how there is. Maybe if you would have read the sentence after my question you would understand why I asked. Excuse me for asking a question. I'll remember not to next time if some people have to be rude about it.

No such thing as a silly question! And I certainly don't think this one was. :D

Romeo_n_Juliet'sMomma said:

Grrrrrrrrrr. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I use to take peanut butter and put just the right amount (heaped up in the middle) on a soda cracker and give it carefully to Bronki..if i did it just right..it stuck to the top of his mouth and he got to lick forever..just made that enjoyment go on and on and on..until i would have tears coming from laughing so hard..gee i haven't done that for a long time..not since my sweetheart died..i will have to get a jar and give Victor a try....i gave him peanut butter once and like Mikey who doen'st like anything he turned his nose up at it until he saw how much Mary liked it..then he gave it a go..wonder if the cracker thing would work for him?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Don't stop asking questions. One pet store by me does sell peanut butter for dogs but I think the human kind (I use natural) sounds better.

Members online