The dog musing/vent thread

Sparrow

Zoe sees my niece's friend she hasn't seen in forever, and only a few times ever: "OMG, my best friend I love you and make out with you!" That girl got slobber all over her pretty hair.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Trying to come up with a kennel name.

So far all I've thought of is Comic Shelties. Which is kinda funny and would give me an excuse to make all kind of superhero references. But I don't love it.

Ideally I'd like something comic book or nerdy related... more than sheep I think.

Though I gotta admit Nerfherder is kind of appealing.
NERFHERDER SHELTIES

The "nerf" would never fly though haha.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams and I have his first basic obedience class tomorrow. I figured it would be a cake walk, since he already has a very solid foundation and I've done a lot of work with him.

He decided last night that "sit" means "take exactly three steps backward and stare at Andrea". Wha.....? He's been doing "sit" since he was 7 weeks old! Stupid adolescent brain.

This should be an interesting class tomorrow. LOL

*blackrose

Nevermind. Abrams has found his brain again! Sits, downs, "push ups", solid leave it with eye contact, a sit stay out of sight, and a down stay out of sight, with no movement until he is released.

Yay for a dog with a brain again! :D

(Tomorrow it will probably be gone once again.)

(And better yet, I made him tired. He's actually relaxing in the kitchen now. Sweet.)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
YAY! Always so exciting when that happens! Izze was my first dog that was truly "mine" as in everyone else outside of me viewed her as an "up yours" dog :rofl1: . It took her two years before she would even admit to the fact that the OH existed, poor guy, he is an animal lover & he tried so hard for so long. But it seemed that the harder he tried to "win her over" the more she was inclined to ignore him :lol-sign: , I finally told him that the best way to get her to notice him is to ignore HER ... & it worked ... though til the day she died she of course, preferred me over him.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Fuuuuuuuh, we have three Mal puppies coming to bitework (all from the same litter, two with the breeder and one with another club member). I usually help work them cuz we just have a big puppy rag-biting party with all of them.

They're so silly and cute and bitey AND I LOVE THEM SO MUCH I WANT TO THROW UP.

*blackrose

Had our first basic obedience class tonight.

As I thought, the instructor is a little bit too over the top with her clicker training. I don't use a clicker unless I'm shaping something...and she was ADAMANT about only using treats as a reward in order to make the clicker have meaning. I'm sorry, but variety is the spice of life, and I want to reward my dog with treats, praise, jumping up and down like an idiot, and rough housing. Yes, he is food motivated, but my physical response via ZOMG, YEY!!! priase and rough man handling is just as important to him and is what keeps him engaged. Abrams checked out multiple times this evening because she wouldn't let me do anything to reward him but click/treat, and yes, that was very consistent, but consistent was also very boring for him. BAH.

Alas, I'm going to stick it out, because I need someone to yell at me about my form, and she was very good about pointing out some of my handling errors to me that I didn't even realize I was doing, and helping me to correct them. I can put up with click/treat for an hour every Sunday if that means I can work on my form. LOL

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I saw a lady today walking two Tervs and a Groenendal. I've only ever seen ONE Terv outside of a dog show here! I wanted to run outside and ask her all about them, lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So 2 parts.

1. 3 month old blue merle creeping tan BC puppy with blue eyes in my class! OMG LOVE! Oddly enough my main thoughts were 'what a CALM puppy'. She seems like an old soul, very observant and thoughtful. Did not help puppy want.

2. BC person above also has an adult BC in my class. I had Summer and Mia today since we had done agility private lessons before tricks class. I worked both off and on for an hour- mostly Summer.

Summer is a crate barker so I set her up outside so as not to annoy the tricks class while I worked Mia. Summer barked outside the entire time. Mia started pooping out on me towards the end so I went and got Summer to bring her inside to work while resting Mia. Summer came blazing in like a wild woman.

Me (mostly to myself): Okay Summer, let's play since Mia is tired.

BC lady: She's probably tired too, she's been barking the whole time!

Me: And we just had an hour of agility before this!

BC lady: Seriously?

Me: And she's 9 years old.

BC lady: She's nine?!

Oh spazzy old dog, how I love you. Even when you're obnoxious. Don't ever change.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.