If this dog gets returned to rescue

Sweet72947

Squishy face
for being bad with kids, we can use this video as evidence! He was a FOHA dog, this was posted on the facebook page. I did leave a comment which will probably be ignored at the least, flamed at the most. Oh well.

Notice the lip licking, yawning, and the eyes. This dog is a very good dog for just getting up and walking away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uc0vvHcjDYE

Brattina88

What did you say? Out of curiosity...
Despite how good a dog is supposed to be with children, children need to be taught boundaries. While it may (or may not) have been "cute" the first two times, a responsible adult should have redirected. A dog is not a toy, it is another living being - this particular dog looked a little bit overweight, I'm sure it didn't feel good to be flipped over. And by the stressed / calming signals that you posted in the OP, I'd bet anything I was right. And it most certainly will not be as "cute" when the child is older, the dog is older, and perhaps less tolerant.

I've met tons of dogs that tolerate hair pulling, being jumped on, etc by their children... BUT these dogs I know, I also know the parent of the child(ren) would NOT allow this type of behavior to go on

But maybe I live in crazytown :p

Sweet72947

Squishy face
My comment:

At risk of being unpopular, I would urge you to educate your friend on dog behavior. The dog in this video was not happy to have that baby jumping on him. The behaviors he showed (lip licking, yawning) are STRESS behaviors. The fact that he got up and walked away instead of growling, snapping at or nipping means that he's a VERY tolerant dog. Dogs shouldn't have to put up with children doing anything to them that they want. Forgive me for being a "wet blanket" but perhaps if there was more education about dog behavior we'd have less dogs returned to FOHA for "not being good with kids".

Panzerotti

Wow, I couldn't even watch it all. It is so frustrating that people find this kind of behaviour from kids to be cute. These are exactly the type of people that end up having dogs bite their kids "for no reason." Idiots.

monkeys23

I love that poster.

The avoid pinching part for humans and avoid hugging part for dogs... Scout was freaking BITTEN by one of the toddlers in her second home. Dear sweet dog only whined which spurred the mother of the child to come investigate and find her little girl with her teeth in poor Scout. I swear this dog deserves a medal for being so tolerant and awesome!

And yet people act like there is something wrong with her when she hides behind me when some inconsiderate toddlers corner her as she's trying to poop with their father a good 30ft behind. Jeebus people teach yourselves and your kids some manners. Jerks. What if that'd been a dog less tolerant than Scout with the same history??

Kilter

I emailed them as well with the video link and asked them to do something before the dog looses it's life for biting.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I think the video was removed from the page because I don't see it there anymore. The owner came on and insisted his dog was not stressed and perfectly happy to have a baby falling on him over and over, and I posted back with a link that has a nice guide for reading and understanding your dog's behavior. I hope he saw it before the post was deleted.

milos_mommy

I mean, it may not be possible now, but could a FOHA volunteer or employee say something? Even if it's like 'we'd like to come and check on the dog and see if there are any issues you guys could use help with' and when they get there tell the family that the dog is uncomfortable when the child climbs on him and why...it might help?

Fran27

Of course some idiot on the youtube page had to say the people posting comments were judgmental lol.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
"So sad how people are judgmental and uniformed. How high and mighty are you, when you have done worse to your animals. Here a little boy is playing with the dog and hugging and loving him afterwards. Shame on you!!!"

I love how the commenter implies that we are dog abusers because we don't like seeing a dog mistreated...

"So sad how people are judgmental and uniformed. How high and mighty are you, when you have done worse to your animals. Here a little boy is playing with the dog and hugging and loving him afterwards. Shame on you!!!"

I love how the commenter implies that we are dog abusers because we don't like seeing a dog mistreated...
And when the dog snaps at the child there will have been 'no warning'. *sigh*

Members online

No members online now.