teaching pooch to ring a bell?

Ive seen it mentioned here and other forums......how do you teach such a cool thing?
I'd love to train Chili to ring a bell when he wants out....Im just not sure how to go about teaching that trick.:confused:

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I need to do this, also. I just need to find a bell.

This is what I was told. Everytime you open the door, ring the bell. If you have a smart dog, they'll start ringing it.

Roxy's CD

I would probably end up killing myself :D

Roxy would ring the bell constantly I can see it now... Roxy wants mom off her behind for some attention.. *ring*. Roxy wants mom to let her outside to eat the mail lady *ring* Roxy wants mom to let her outside to eat the cat *ring* Roxy just wants to ring the bell *ring* Roxy wants a treat *ring*

LMAO!!! I'd be a servant!! Well, I guess I kind of already am.. HAHA

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Everytime you take him outside, ring the bell with his paw and open the door, sooner or later he'll realize that ringing the bell means the door opens for him to go out. :)

I would love to do this with Lucy...I just need to get a bell lol. Then again my cat would probably think it's his toy so the bell would constantly be ringing from him trying to play with it. :rolleyes:

This is the best thing I've ever taught my dogs. I know I've said it before but I highly recommend it.
My boys only use thier bells when they want out. Even if it's to play.
I said 'Outside' and rang the bell with their paws. They learned to ring the bell and what outside means. If you train your puppy to do this you'll thank yourself over and over and over again. :)

Tinaweena

Yup, I love my poochie bells also! Boone just wasn't getting the hang of the whole "asking to go out" thing. I got the bells started using his paw to hit them before I'd open the door, and within 3 days he was ringing them on his own.
Yes, he rings them when he wants out to play, but I don't mind. He abused them for a while (ringing them over and over, go outside, then want right back in), but now he only rings when he wants out.

I just put a bell up yesterday. Got the bell at a craft store and hung it with some ribbon on a hook above the sliding glass door frame. Of course my cats will I'm sure play with it. But I needed to do this since my house is a 2 story and the back door to the back yard is nowhere in site so I wouldn't know if Lovie was down there or not.

Members online

No members online now.