Color Preferences

Grab

Contrary to the dogs who share my home and whom I adore, I don't actually set out to own all brown dogs :p

For Chows, I'm fine with any color except cream. Black is actually my favorite, but I'm fine with all colors.

Poodles, I like all of the colors. (even partis) Provided they have proper pigment.

iriskai

Love traditional heavy irish markings. Full white collar, blaze, belly, high stockings. Also love eye liner and rich pigment. Coming from a color immaterial breed, the only legitimate color we don't have is merle (or any of the merle patterns). I'm also a sucker for a split face, provided the 'off' side is fully lined. Always clear on a short coat, because long coat 'whippets' have something else in them.

krissy

I never liked white much. Of course... naturally I ended up with 2 of them! As much as I now think they are more beautiful than any other dogs I meet... I hope my next greyhound is either brindle or fawn!

Paviche

Duuuuude.
My one overall preference is that I like markings. I don't care for solid colored dogs aesthetically.

It depends a lot on the breed, but overall I love red dogs. Orange and liver (or whatever individual breeds call them.) It's funny because I strongly preferred black pigmentation before I got Rowan, and now I'm a sucker for the red ones.

In Brittanys, I strongly prefer orange and white piebald. I like both clear white and white with ticking. I don't particularly care for roan in either orange or liver, but I don't hate it, either. I like liver tricolors over liver and white.

In Silkens, I don't really care for extreme piebald dogs. Give me more color than just a little spot or two! I love, love, love red brindle. I think my ideal dog would be an Irish marked red brindle, although I'd be thrilled with a piebald, too. I like the other varieties of brindle that they come in, too. I'm not huge on solid cream dogs, and the potential dam of my litter is solid cream, so watch me get one just like her ;) My breeder has produced (so far) the only red sable watermarked dogs in the breed, and they're gorgeous. I LOVE a black mask on them, but most dogs that have them lose them as they age.

In Ibizans, I like a lot of red, either Irish marked or piebald.

In GSDs, I'm starting to really like black & red. I also love bicolors, and black & tan on some dogs is gorgeous. I don't care for sable as much as I used to, but on some dogs it's gorgeous, especially a nice rich sable, or a LH sable like Carma. I like solid black but don't prefer it like I used to.

In Standard Poodles, I really like silvers and reds (nice reds... you see a lot of iffy dogs in red just because it's popular.) I also like partis. Black, brown and apricot are all middle-of-the-road for me. I like them all but don't LOVE them. White is my least favorite, probably because solid white dogs just generally don't do anything for me.

In Aussies, I love bicolors. Black bi and red bi are my favorites, I like bi blue merle a lot, and red merle tends to be my last favorite. I actually kind of prefer a muddy blue merle over a clear blue merle. I love rich red on red tris, and black tris, too. I'm not huge on blue or red merle tris. Actually pretty much all of that goes for Koolies, too, just add on that I also love solid black and red on them. :)

Elrohwen

I usually like darker colors, like blacks or deep reds/sables. Saturated colors with black noses vs dilutes, so I like ee red, but "red"/liver in Aussies and BCs I'm not a big fan of unless it's super dark.

Generally I like some white, but no more than 50% white. I'm not picky if it's Irish markings or just spotted.

I like colors with some shading and variation like blue merle or sable, though I find some merles to be too busy.

So generally black and white, red and white, black-tri, blue merle, or sable with some white. My exception to these rules is solid black in FCRs and spaniels which I love.

Last edited:

StillandSilent

I am not a fan of merle. If it has to be merle, I would prefer a muddied sable with minimal white like Gambit. Non flashy is better.

In whippets, I love black in the long hairs. Not so much in the shorts, though I do like black and white in them. Sable is my second favorite, and what I'm hoping for for my next one. Not a big fan of ticking in any breed except ACD's.

SoCrafty

English Cockers: Blue Roan
American Cockers: Red Parti with Ticking (or Roan, but not common). I also like a nice Tri-Colored Parti, or Black and White.
Golden Retrievers: English Cream (not sure if thats registerable or desireable in US).
Rough Collie: Sable with a full white "rough", Blue Merle Color Headed White
Smooth Collie: Blue Merle or Tri -I like a full white "rough"
Sheltie: Sable, Blue Merle, and because of Addie, Bi-Black. I like facial markings, and white "roughs"
ESS: Bench - b/w
German Shepherd: Black and Tan long stock coat

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
In Aussies I really like the Reds provided they have nice pigment. I do not like washed it looking reds. Followed by blue merle and then black.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Hahahaha!

I read this thread and was like Frodo's color is teal, and Siri's color is burnt orange!

derpderpderp.

k9krazee

I don't really have color preferences and wouldn't pick a dog solely based on color (my husband would and did, lol)

In Rat Terriers, I prefer Black tri with minimal white and with a mostly black head with some white on the face. Instead I got a mostly white dog with a brown face...

In ACDs, I love blue with a masked face.

In other breeds, I don't have any major preferences. Mostly drawn to individual dogs vs. color.

Members online

No members online now.