Ok, really, really need some advice here!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
We have been considering getting another puppy for ages. Today we found out that the breeder we bought Ruby from has a male black puppy that she rang to tell us about, and we would love to get him.

The reason we want another dog is so that Ruby can have a friend. She is a lonely puppy during the day, as we are both at work. Other than that she has a lot of our time and attention, but she is alone for HOURS during the day.

My questions are these:

Are two dogs better than one?
Will it really, exponentially increase the costs and effort involved. We do not want to have two pups that we can't look after.
Will it help Ruby and make her happier (you should see her when she sees another dog - it tugs at the heartstrings how desperate she is to play)
We have two cats who aren't even used to Ruby yet - how much more strain will a new puppy create?

Basically, our landlords have said it's fine, we know we can handle it although it will be a lot more work (but that's fine) - but we really feel it's the best thing for Ruby.

Any advice would be very much appreciated - we have to decide today.

bubbatd

Sorry . fill me in again. How old is Ruby ?? Did this breeder have another litter ?? Same female or does she just breed ...

Do you have a room where you block off with a baby gate? If so, I'd put both pups in that room with their toys, water, food and whatever else while your away at work. I'd be afraid that 2 pups would tear up my house while at work. Can you take the new pup for like a "trial period" for a few days? That way you can see if they'll get along with each other and the cat.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
No, we can't. We have to take him or not.

But yes, we do have a baby gate. Ruby is quite a lot bigger than this pup at the moment so we wouldn't leave them together unsupervised anyway, to start with.

I'm just concerned about two pups, that's all! I mean, I just want to know if you guys think it'll make Ruby happier, and if this pup will be happy with another dog.

I know it's hard to say when you don't know either of them...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
can you take Ruby to meet this puppy, or have the puppy come and meet Ruby at your house? I don't find two dogs too hard, except when they are fighting for my attention. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised alone right now either too many problems could happen. I think it would make Ruby happy to begin with and then she'd sort of get over having another doggy friend as the newness wears off. Still he'd probably help wear her out for you guys.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
juliefurry said:
can you take Ruby to meet this puppy, or have the puppy come and meet Ruby at your house? I don't find two dogs too hard, except when they are fighting for my attention. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised alone right now either too many problems could happen. I think it would make Ruby happy to begin with and then she'd sort of get over having another doggy friend as the newness wears off. Still he'd probably help wear her out for you guys.
HAHAHA anything that did that would be a bonus!!!

I am scared stiff, actually, of getting another puppy. The responsibility, the cost, the extra work and so on. However, I also have this gut feeling that Ruby would just be delighted and so much happier, and that is what is the most important to both of us.

When I had my two GSDs they were inseperable - best mates they adored each other. I know what kind of things NOT to do with this pup if we get him - ie, train separately, establish dominance, that sort of thing. Ruby has also taught us a lot about puppies as well, as she was pretty tough to handle! So I feel that we are more experienced and will be able to avoid a lot of the issues we had with Ruby because we now know what to do.

I guess it's just the fear of another little mouth to feed. But I think it will be worth it in the long run.

skyhigh

Who are the breeders? We have two dogs. Spencer(older) takes good care of Maddy(nearly 5 months). He protects her at the dog park if other dogs annoy her, when we leave if she doesn't follow straight away, he'll runand herd her in. lol. Anyway, If you just seperate them while your working for the time being. Just so nothing happens. But I think It's a okay idea. :)

Any pics of this young boy? How old is he?

two puppies in the house together all day could be disasterous!
a large kennel outside with a dog house would be your best bet, puppies need fresh air and sunshine!
This would keep you and the pups happiest.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Yes, they'll be outside pups. Ruby already is - and Chester (the new pup who we couldn't help ourselves and bought a few hours ago) will be once he's big enough and his quarantine is over.

Here's a pic - WHAT a sweet little boy...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
:D

I can understand why you couldn't resist!

I reckon you will be fine with them both. Bear in mind, most people probably don't even seek advice first!

skyhigh

Congrats. When will he be arriving home? He looks gorgeous. And a nice name too.

Sandra

Fran27

He's really cute. I really prefer two pups than one as well, more excercise for both of them, a playmate, and the second one is much easier to train (or at least it was the case for me). It costs twice the food and the vet care, but toys etc they can share.

You know my opinion about outside dogs though... For me a dog's place is inside with the family.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
hehehehe didnt take long did it. He is adorable. I think they will do just fine and might not be a bad thing to have a mate for your other baby

I have to agree with Fran with the "outside" dog idea... I truley believe they are part of the family... However, I do want to say I'm sure once the new one is old enough Ruby will be happy to have a playmate to run around with.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Awww thanks all! They will both be inside dogs when we are home, and outside when we are out - unless the weather is extreme or whatever. But I wouldn't want to be shut up all day when my mum and dad were out, so they get the best of both worlds!!

Thanks for all your nice compliments!! He is a cutie - they've got VERY similar little quirks, it's funny. He put himself to bed tonight in his little room. Ruby used to do that too! Still does, actually...lol

keyodie

Keyozilla
aww...cute pup!

Do you have a not too big fenced in area? Because I wouldn't really leave them unsupervised in a very big area outside. I dunno, I guess it depends on the dog.

Congrats!!

Members online

No members online now.