Pyometrea questions

Maura

The foster Boston terrier I have is probably three years old. She was diagnosed as being in heat when I got her, and had some health issues, so her spay was put off. I just picked her up and was told by the vet that it was a good thing I didn't put off having her spayed. Her uterus was large and filled with pus.

Is this common in a dog this age who hasn't been bred? I always associated pyrometrea (sp) with birth.

gecko_mom

Cata what?
As dogs age, pyometra beomes fore of a concern. I've seen 3 dogs all over the age of 6 in the last 2 months come into the clinic for pyo. 3 seems a bit young, although it can happen anytime.

We've also had the same number of cats, one was 3-4 ish.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Pyometra is just an infection of the uterus, it's not related to the birthing process. Any intact female can develop it, although you do usually see it in girls over 5 (according to Merck).

Pyometra is a hormonally mediated diestrual disorder characterized by cystic endometrial hyperplasia with secondary bacterial infection. Pyometra is reported primarily in older bitches (>5 yr old), 4-6 wks after estrus.
Merck Veterinary Manual

Members online

No members online now.