Puppy VS Cat

corgi_love

So Kyrie is WAY to rough with the cat. Her and Regis love to rough house, and thats fine, they rarely get too rough with eachother. But sometimes she really goes after our cat Inu. She usually is very soft with her, but sometimes it's WAY to rough for a little 4 lb cat!

I'm not sure what to do about it. I try to deter her from doing this but she doesn't really get it. Even when Inu is squealing and meowing, Kyrie rarely lets up. I normally have to pull Kyrie off and away from Inu. I'm fearing this will become a BIG problem as Kyrie is obviously going to get much, much bigger and stronger..

Suggestions? Should I stop the rough housing with Regis totally?

Thanks!

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I think just keeping up with the detering will work eventually. For the longest time, Morgan was really hard-headed about what was okay and not-okay when it came to playing with the cats, too. I would just keep a close eye on him whenever he went anywhere near the cats. He can play by poking with his nose/paws and they can play "tag" if the cat wants to, but Morgan is not allowed to put any part of a cat in his mouth and he can't put any weight on them (ie: wrestling, etc.). Basically, the cat always gets to win. :p

Granted, the size difference isn't as great between cat and dog as your dealing with (our cats are 14-16lbs... Morgan is 45lbs), so your rules are probably going to be different.

If the game went any further than the rules allow, I would correct with a quick "ah-ah" and distract him with something else... It's kind of like the way we teach the proper toys to chew on (a weird comparison, I guess, but true). Also, if the cat ever made a sound of "I don't want to play", like hissing, then the game was immediately over.

Now that I think of it, there are only two instances where we've enforced time-outs with Morgan... excessive jumping on guests at the front door and playing too rough with the cat. He usually gets one warning, maybe two, and if he doesn't cut it out, he goes in the crate for a few minutes. Now, he actually will sometimes put himself in time-out if he is playing and the cat hisses at him. :lol-sign:

I hope that helps. That is what we have done and it seems to work fine. It did take a lot of consistency, though, as Morgan gradually figured out what was appropriate play and what was unacceptable. Now he will actually "ask" the cats if they want to play (usually by shoving a tug-toy in their face), and if they don't they'll ignore him, at which point he moves on to something else.

ETA: Your cat's name is awesome, by the way. :D I love it!

corgi_love

I think just keeping up with the detering will work eventually. For the longest time, Morgan was really hard-headed about what was okay and not-okay when it came to playing with the cats, too. I would just keep a close eye on him whenever he went anywhere near the cats. He can play by poking with his nose/paws and they can play "tag" if the cat wants to, but Morgan is not allowed to put any part of a cat in his mouth and he can't put any weight on them (ie: wrestling, etc.). Basically, the cat always gets to win. :p

Granted, the size difference isn't as great between cat and dog as your dealing with (our cats are 14-16lbs... Morgan is 45lbs), so your rules are probably going to be different.

If the game went any further than the rules allow, I would correct with a quick "ah-ah" and distract him with something else... It's kind of like the way we teach the proper toys to chew on (a weird comparison, I guess, but true). Also, if the cat ever made a sound of "I don't want to play", like hissing, then the game was immediately over.

Now that I think of it, there are only two instances where we've enforced time-outs with Morgan... excessive jumping on guests at the front door and playing too rough with the cat. He usually gets one warning, maybe two, and if he doesn't cut it out, he goes in the crate for a few minutes. Now, he actually will sometimes put himself in time-out if he is playing and the cat hisses at him. :lol-sign:

I hope that helps. That is what we have done and it seems to work fine. It did take a lot of consistency, though, as Morgan gradually figured out what was appropriate play and what was unacceptable. Now he will actually "ask" the cats if they want to play (usually by shoving a tug-toy in their face), and if they don't they'll ignore him, at which point he moves on to something else.

ETA: Your cat's name is awesome, by the way. :D I love it!
Thanks that's really helpful :D I'll just keep working with her on being nicer to the cat!

Thanks for the name compliment LOL! We wanted a japanese name but couldn't come up with one for two weeks and then we decided on Inu.. We're such dog people it's sad LOL!

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Thanks that's really helpful :D I'll just keep working with her on being nicer to the cat!

Thanks for the name compliment LOL! We wanted a japanese name but couldn't come up with one for two weeks and then we decided on Inu.. We're such dog people it's sad LOL!

Glad I could help! Even if it's only a little bit. :D

I'll be sure to let you know if I think of anything else... but really I think I did cover it. Now you just have to keep us updated! ;)

As for Inu's name, well, I still think it is awesome. It's cool that you found a Japanese name that wasn't "Yuki". (I swear, every little white dog around here is named that, and the owner of each one things they are SO clever for coming up with the name. LOL!)

And there is no such thing as being "such dog people it's sad". :lol-sign:

My old cat Orville was the rough guy, when younger. He would "attack" Gus and they would really go at it. Even when Gus passed 70 pounds, vs Orville's 20 or so, (Yes, he was Big!) they would wrestle around very roughly. After Gus got bitten by Orville while playing in the infamous "Scrotum" incident, Gus pretty much stopped playing with Orville, except once in a while when he would "forget" what happened that horrible day.

When King came along, Orville couldn't figure out why a pup less than half his size not only wasn't scared of him, but actually seemed to enjoy all of Orville's yelling and screaming. Then came the day Orville looked at King while they were eating out of the same bowl (Some catfish I gave them) and realized, somehow, that King was bigger than he was, and basically just had a huge tantrum about it. I'll never forget the look on Orville's face, it was like it was the end of his world! It was kind of like when Dr. Smith on "Lost in Space" would see something and scream in that special way of his. Sadly, just as Orville figured out King liked him, and didn't want to kill him, he went sour, and we had to put him down, a couple months short of 17.

RottyLover

Ok I’m glad I’m not alone with this issue. My puppy (Tessa) and cat (Kovu) have become very good friends, they keep each other company and play together all the time. Sometimes it gets very rough though. They are so fresh to each other! Kovu is nasty at times and fights dirty. It’s hard to blame him though, he has to get his digs in now. When Tessa is 90 or 100 pounds she will pummel him. He uses the couches as a safe haven because Tessa is to short to get up on them… When they are older I picture her going up and sitting on him, game over! All in all though they are buds…

Here is the freshness!

Kovu's signature move

Did I mention he thinks the crate is his?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have the same issue with Bamm and his favorite thing to do is stick the cat's back legs in his mouth. I'm constantly calling him off the cat... but he doesn't always listen in which case I remove him from the situation by putting him in timeout. Sadly he hasn't been getting the idea and continues to rough with the cat from time to time. The cat does not help the situation as he usually instigates a lot of the rough play with Bamm... I just get nervous about the whole cat's foot in his mouth thing so I separate them when it gets to that point.

Gus used to take Orville's head into his mouth, and close down on it, and suck on the cat's head. Orville loved it, and would come up to Gus when he was asleep and push his head against Gus's floppy lips until he opened up. When he got tired of having his head covered in drool, he would usually find my mother, who lived with me then, and get on her lap, or in bed with her, drooly head and all. I gotta get my scanner going, I have some good pics of Gus and Orville going at it from before the day Gus decided the cat was "Dangerous".

Members online

No members online now.