Foiled Again!

In an attempt to quash Shiva's delight in stealing things from the counter, I left a fresh habanero sitting there, tantalizingly just out of reach. I figured that two things would happen: A) Shiva'd learn that there were awful things on the counter, and B) I'd find out if it was just her, or if Kharma was doing it too.

So much for that.

The habanero, chewed, is laying on the floor. Neither dog is licking their jowls or acting the least bit uncomfortable.

Bimmer didn't do it; he never does anything like that. I can depend on him to be a real gentleman. Besides, he's not licking his chops either.

The only thing I can conclude is that one or the other, or both, of these two Creatures is a pepper-eating pooch. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jazzie

I think you have your hands full there LOL
Its amazing what they will eat at times.......Murphy is into plants at the moment!

Wow. Habeneros are no joke, and I'm a pepper/hot sauce freak! I should report you to the authorities for "hot saucing" your kids! (If some of you live under a rock, it's been in the news lately that using hot sauce on a kids tonque is an effective form of corporal punishment, much to the chagrine of various groups of whiners).

I gave Josie a piece of habenero beef jerky the other day and it didn't faze her...maybe they aren't as sensitive to spice heat than humans? Dunno.

FWIW they used to sell stuff in a bottle that parents would put on a kids thumb or fingernails to get them to stop sucking/biting. It was clear and was very hot. I was a notorious thumbsucker and my mom used that when I was like 6 and it didn't phase me...shortly after I developed a weird fondness for hot food! My wife's family are Cajuns, so every meal they have a variety of hot sauces available.

OK, I'm gonna totally derail this thread with my funny habenero story now. (sorry). I was given some habs by a friend and used them in some chili...I took the seeds to plant in my flowers and see if they would grow. After planting them I was doing some other yard stuff and didn't think twice when I went in and went #1...WITHOUT washing my hands. About 3 minutes later I felt a burning...HOLY CRAP that hurt! :eek:

Separated at birth? My Mom told me she tried the same thing on me when I was not quite two. Same results. When we moved out west when I was 5, we stayed in Albuquerque for a week and I got introduced to Mexican food at La Hacienda. I insisted on ordering from the "Fire Eaters" side of their menu.

Some dogs do feel the heat. Buffy, the first Fila we had, stole food off the table once - and only once. She stole a block of habanero jack cheese. I could tell she'd snagged it by the way her eyes were tearing and she just kept licking and pawing at those big jowl-lips. What sealed the deal was the next morning when I heard her whimpering during her a.m. constitutional. You couldn't have made that dog steal off the table after that. :D

If it makes you feel any better, it wouldn't have helped any if you'd washed your hands. It doesn't get the oil off - just spreads it.

I've got about 5 quart sized Ziplocs of homegrown habaneros from a neighbor in the freezer right now. I made a killer mango salsa for shrimp with some the other night, appropriately Orange for watching the Vols season opener.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Ooh habenero stories.. lol

My brother dared me to eat one when we lived on our ranch, I think I was about 8. He said "no, they're not hot, dad was lying when he said that" and then he popped a pepper into his mouth, chewed it up and swallowed it, and he was fine.

Soo, I, not wanting to be outdone, grabbed a pepper off the bush and stuffed it in my mouth... Oh. My. God. At first, I thought it was fine, it made my tongue tingle a little bit but nothing too severe, but after about 5 seconds, I was SCREAMING and I went and attached my mouth to one of our pumps (didn't care at the moment that it was the pump we let the cows drink from) and ran water over my tongue for about 5 minutes..
My tongue swelled up that night, I could barely talk, it was BURNED, I couldn't taste anything for almost a month, and even the hand that I picked it up with were burned!

But, my neighbor has an amazing concoction of dried habenero powder that is as effective as mace, it has to be kept in a thick plastic container because it does something weird to the plastic bag., he was going to give me some for my walks down the street (there are some VERY aggressive dogs on our street that I think would kill Ripley if given the chance, so i want to prepare myself)

Debi

OK...majorly HUGE pepper sissy here........YIKES!!! AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN BLINK??? lol Hey, your pups eat those peppers.......they could actually live thru my cooking (not hot, just bad..lol)

I realized I had to be careful of the counter when Hammie knocked over our tea cups.....boiling steeping tea...one day. Could have been very bad if he would have been burned!!! My cat used to jump on the counter, I then put orange rind all over the counter.......cats hate that...it stopped!! That cranky, mean ole cat has never gone on the counter again..truly. :D

Those peppers will make a person break out in a sweat.............freakin me out here!! Your pups are made of steel. LOL GOTTA LOVE THEM :D

I know Kharma's an alien. She's the one that bit the extra-hot electric fence twice after it bit her on the butt when she was 10 weeks old. I know she got a vicious charge from it, too. Not only can you hear the thing popping and cracking; it had just rained and she was wet, standing on wet ground.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Holy... Are you sure Kharma's not a Border Collie? That sounds like something that Dakota would do. :p

Debi said:
My cat used to jump on the counter, I then put orange rind all over the counter.......cats hate that...it stopped!! That cranky, mean ole cat has never gone on the counter again..truly. :D

Deb, do me a favor and post a thread in the Cat/Pet forum about the orange rind thing. I'd never heard that and have a problem with one of my cats counter jumping.

Thanks

-Kev

RD

Are you dead yet?
Hmm, my cats love jumping on the counter. I'm usually just prepared with a firm NO and a squirt from the squirt bottle. (Now-a-days I don't even have to squirt them, just SHOW them the thing and they jump right down)

Members online

No members online now.