Chiropractic treatments

Kellster

My 12 week old Westie saw a new (and permanent) vet a couple of days ago. He recommended, and I signed on for, VOM treatments (chiropractic adjustments using this special thumping-type tool). He told me that studies have shown that dogs who receive these treatments live an average of 28% longer. If that's true, it's huge. The treatment was $60 and I'm supposed to follow up with a second one next week ($50) and afterwards she's supposed to receive a treatment bi-yearly. It's not huge money, but it's money and I'd like to feel assured that it's being well spent. Anyone know anything about this?

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Um...hmmm...28% longer?? And did he say how he had come to this figure?

I have taken my dogs for chiro. My corgi started out going once evry couple weeks for a couple months, then monthly, then every couple months, then as needed - or something like that, I don't remember the exact scheduling, but it was similar to human chiro.

My mal goes as needed, I think the vet keeps hoping he doesn't need it because he is a huge PITA to work on. My female corgi went once, because I figured I'd be nice and sign her up for chiro, and corgis do have back problems. My vet thought I was nuts ~ she kept questioning why I thought Morgan needed chiro - she was fine, it was a waste of money to bring her in for it.

I have never heard of chiro extending their life, although it certainly does help some with their health and the quality of life. I'm not sure that a 12 week old puppy needs chiro unless he's had injuries. Even my mal, who likes to do cartwheels and headstands didn't need chiro until he was 6 months.

bubbatd

I'm sorry , I missed why and how here ! To me a twelve week old pup with problems should be back at the breeders . Can you fill me in ??

Kellster

Corgipower, the vet didn't arrive at the 28% figure, he claims it was derived from long-term studies. He's a doctor of veterinary medicine, traditionally trained but holistically-minded, and if I'm any judge of character, a very conscientious type of person. Bubbatd, my puppy doesn't have any problems. She's perfectly normal and healthy and certainly doesn't need to be sent back to the breeder. While I appreciate your input, I was hoping to hear from people who actually knew something about V.O.M. I understand why starting chiropractic treatments at such a young age would invite skepticism. When the vet explained the rationale to me it made great sense, but I don't remember his explanation well enough to repeat it. IF it's true that studies have shown that consistently keeping the spine in alignment thru VOM treatments (Veterinary Orthopedic Manipulation) throughout the course of a dog's life will add about 4 years of quality life, I'm all for it. My pup's certainly worth the effort and expense, but I want to understand it better.

adojrts

Kellster;
First welcome to Chaz;
I have been taking my dogs to a Vet/Chiropactor for many years now. I have never heard of those stats that you are talking about but I will ask at our next appointment which is in a couple of weeks. I too would question the need on such a young pup, again I will ask.
Actually I do know what mine would do, she would do what she calls a Wellness exam which is more of a massage and gently looking for any problems or subluxations.
My Vet is very much into Holistic, she is also a Chiropractor and I would caution you to make sure that your Vet is a licensed Chiropractor. Because if he isn't, he can do your dog more harm than goodl.
There are people Chiropractors that start doing animals with very little education and I have seen the problems that they can cause and at the very least cause the owner money on an adjustment that is useless.

cinnamon

I only took my sheltie to a chiropractor when she hurt her shoulder running at the park. She looked alot better after one treatment but I took for for one more just in case. The second time the chrio. checked her over and said she didn't need an adjustment.

I was surprised when I went to pay as the visit is free if there is no adjustment. She has a few dogs that come in 2 or 3 times a year--but those dogs are doing alot of agility.

I quite liked her as she didn't push for regular visits--just said come back if there was a problem. We haven't had an issue with the shoulder since.

adojrts

Same here, mine doesn't push for extra visits or adjustments either. If we are competing almost every weekend in agility, then she will recommend that we come in once a month. But she has shown me how to test his problem areas and she leaves it up to me to decide when he needs her.

Members online

No members online now.