My next dog

mrose_s

BusterLove
okay, this is mainly a post because I love seeing others thoughts on this.
Hopefully I'll be moving out this year. I'd like to foster little girlfriends for Buster and am in no rush to get a second dog (I am SOOO looking forward to just being able to worry about one dog a day. Not having to mix up kg's and kgs of food every night etc)

I'm looking at GWP's as what I would like to show, I was talking to a breeder and they sound like awesome dogs.
I would LOVE a Border Collie, but I think I have decided to not go with one from working lines as basically. What if I don't handle them well enough and "ruin" them. Plus I don't know wnough about handling dogs in agility or herding yet and don't want to frustrate a dog that knows more abotu whats its doign then me.
I havn't got really any experience with the breed so would probably like my first one to be a rescue, only with more drive then Buster (which could've been achievd if he'd had the right start in life)

So I'll probably be in a city, in a house with a yard. I'd have Buster and would like to get a cat at sometime, but probably won't be fistering them as the amount of work that goes into getting Buster comfortable around a new cat.
I like dogs that are reserved with strangers but would very much prefer to avoid breeds prone to DA, don't want to deal with that again.
I am going to do agility so eager to please is a must, and would love a drivey breed.
Also interested in Obediance, not soemthign I'll do with Buster but would like to do that with future dogs.
Ideally i'd be in a situation where I could take my dog to work, but in all honesty I don't know what I'm doing at the moment so won't depend on that.
I generally brush Buster through 2-3 times a week and give him a very thorough brushing after each bath (about every 2 weeks)
Shedding doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Excercise will be about 30minutes to 2 hours daily, with a couple of good offleash runs a week.
Would prefer medium sized.

Like I said, I'm in no rush. If I remain in this council's area I can't have 2 dogs unless my block is 1000m2 or more, and finding rentals here with only 1 dog is hard enough. Plus I don't have a solid job at this second (I'm actually unemployed as of today) I will always have the safety net of my mother to keep me and my animals housed in case of emergency, but that is incase of emergency. Not an allowance for lots of animals.
I was thinking about getting into the show world, but thats an expensive hobby to take up right out of home and supporting myself, so probably not a lgood idea to pursue atm.

I'd just love a healthy, drivey, athletic dog please. lol
And I want to see what you guys come up with.

lizzybeth727

I'm not sure what to tell you, there is a lot of info in your post to be able to process it all.

You're wanting to foster dogs for a rescue group, or foster show dogs?

If it's the first, I'd just search for all the rescue groups in your area. Then you can look into what each groups' goals are, and see which one matches what you want to do. A good adoption group can find the right individual dog for your household after that (as long as they work with breeds that you like).

RD

Are you dead yet?
Well, fostering is fun. :)

A lot of people worry about ruining working line pups. It's hard to ruin them as pets if you have any idea what you're doing, I've found. I think an adult rescue BC would be a great match for you and a good introduction to the breed. Otherwise, a calmer, more submissive female puppy from good working lines would be a good start too.

GWPs are *neat* dogs. Dunno anything about them besides that, lol!

mrose_s

BusterLove
lol I've given up on making plans on what dog I want next, I've gone to everything from grey's to BC's, to GSP's and back again.
I know Buster will never be a great agility dog, but just doing stuff with hiom at home has taught me enough to know what to avoid with future dogs. Like make sure you teach all obstacles with your dog on either side.
lol I always practiced with him on my left side. SO now If I ask him to even so much as jump with him on my right he stops like "What the hell are you doing?!"

I do think I'd like a BC as my next dog, but will probably go with a rescue because of the fact that I don't know enough about them other than that no amount of reading will fully prepare me.
I saw someone a while back mention fostering BC's to get an idea of them. Probably a very wise move.

there are only 1 rescue group in my area that I know of. They're great though and rely completley on foster carer's to rehome their animals.

Basically, I think about it a lot but still have no idea where I'm heading or what I'm doing so can't even come close to making a decision. But agility is soemthing I most definetly want to do with my next dog (would love to do it with Buster aswell but he's already 5 and we both have a long way too go before he'd even have a chance to do lessons)

This thread is more confusing then anything probably, I just like to have a plan and I can't make a defineite one because I have no idea what lies ahead. So fostering is probably a good avenue to take later down the track while I relish the freedom (a spare floor space) of only having one dog to live with.

Paige

Let it be
I'd say foster a BC when you can and see if they are the dog for you. I would never have considered one, then I was given my boys and would never consider not having one.

Members online