clipper advice

patb

I'm new here and need some advice on clippers for grooming my two toy poodles and maltepoo. My husband has been clipping our poodles for quite a while and doing a great job but he now has cancer and his energy is low so I'm taking over the reins. We currently have an Oster (can't think of the model) pet clipper with detachable combs. It works ok, but I think we might need a more heavy duty model. One poodle has very soft fur, like cutting cotton, and the maltepoo (a rescue who hasn't had a haircut except for a shaving at the shelter) has very soft fur as well. My other poodle has average texture fur. We keep them in a short dutch clip. Any advice on what clippers might work better and make the job a little easier for me:) Thanks for any help:D

Andis 2 speed. Nuff said. They are expensive (around $200), but I am not a fan of the Osters. They are heavier than the Andis, and the casing gets real hot. Plus, most models have that annoying fan on them that blows hair right in your eyes. I love my Andis, have 3 different pairs (in case my main pair breaks down in the middle of work, I have 2 more to back me up!)

Saje

Island dweller
I've only used oster and have always found it find. I bought it for my horses and that's where it gets most of the use. I think it just depends on the model. They even have the 'whisper' ones for ears. :) Maybe try buying one at a livestock store?

RD

Are you dead yet?
I love the Andis 2-speed clippers. I had a pair of Osters for my cattle and currently have a little wahl "mini-mite" clipper for my own dogs (since neither needs much clipping) but the best and easiest to use by far were the Andis.

I actually bought my 2-speed for $100 from a grooming supply store. It's the blades that kill you as far as price goes.

Members online

No members online now.