Tell me about the taxes in your state....

Oh no Sass! My disclaimer post had absolutely nothing to do with your post *scouts honor*

It's just that after I posted this thread, I clicked over to my facebook and there were a couple of my cousins along with a few friends engaged in a political debate. :rolleyes: (so sick of it all....seriously tempted to remove quite a few from my news feed!) States were mentioned and I thought "Oh dang......I hope my thread isn't taken as more political fodder" So I flipped back over and added the disclaimer, LOL
Haha, Defensive Sass is Defensive. :p

I was mostly confused because all things considered I thought I was being pretty tame even though WHERE I LIVE IS THE BEST. :D

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We pay 13% sales tax. Essential food items (milk, eggs, bread...) are not taxed, others are. Granted, I get $45 every month to make up for that (goes by income). Not sure of anything else.

We do pay sales tax - it varies by county. I know at my company's various locations, it ranges from 6.675% to 7.775%. We don't pay sales tax on essential items (groceries, clothing). We do pay income tax - I'm not sure if it's low or high, I've never worked/lived anywhere else.

We also pay property tax, but since I don't personally pay it, I don't have a clue what it is.

ETA: We don't have car inspections here at all. We pay taxes on vehicles when they're bought, and yearly tabs/registration.

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
I live in Texas. We have NO State Income tax, but do pay sales tax. Our rate is 8.25%here locally. We also pay property taxes. My property taxes on a .25 acre lot valued around $250,000 home are almost $7000 per year, but I am also in a REALLY good school district which could play a role in that since the taxes are made up of several different components and the school district also influences the values of the homes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE our city and state though. I think there are a lot of great cities in TX that have a lot to offer. My two favorites though by far are Fort Worth (where I live) and Austin which is a short 3 hour drive from here.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
One thing I LOVE about my state (Florida) is that there isn't a state income tax. YAY!

Florida has a 6% sales tax... but it can be higher depending on the county. My county is 6.5%. Food (unless it's hot and/or prepared) and medications aren't taxed.

We have property tax, but only on homes... and if it's your primary residence, you can claim a homestead exemption.

Our gasoline tax is 16.6 cents/gallon.

Members online

No members online now.