Grooming a Show Yorkie

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
We're supposed to be going to get some grooming stuff soon. I shaved the hair on Dixie's ears today just to see how she'd react. She did good. I know I didn't do it right, I didn't read anything. I went onto yorkie.org (or...it might be yorkies.org)...Anyway, it tells you to do it in a triangle. If I didn't do a triangle, would that be penalized in the ring? I'm not showing her too soon, so it'll have plenty of time to grow back for me to do it right, but I just wanted to know. I shaved all the hair inside, and out of the ear. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Anyway, please let me know what you know. THANKS! :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I'm not sure about it being penalized in the ring. Pics would be good, though :)

For the ring, you also do need to scissor the hair on the edges of the ear where you shaved, to make it look neater. You most likely weren't able to shave the hair on the sides so it's going to be a little longer than the hair on the middle part of the ear. Grasp that little bit of hair on the side of the ear, pull it gently to get it to stand up and away from the skin, and snip it off. It's hard to do on really tiny ears (I hated doing it with Schnauzers) but it makes a big difference.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Unfortunately, at this time, I only have 1 clear picture. I had to hold her on my lap, and it was too close for the camera to focus. :rolleyes: When my sister gets home, I'll get some better ones. :D

*UPLOADING*

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥

Here ya go! I just shaved all of it. lol. I didn't know what to do, so I just did it all. Let me know what ya think. THANKS! :D

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥

Sorry, sister had LOTS of homework, so I couldn't get anymore of the back of her, but here's one from the front. I can get more tomorrow of the back.

They could be much neater, but this was just a 'trial' run to see if she'd put up with it. I don't think I'm going to do Lucy's ears again though. I'll do Dixies, but today Dixie and Lucy got into their normal fight (over a treat :rolleyes:) and Lucy came out of it with scabbed up ears. :(

You can see the one on the front, and it's worse on the back. Poor girl! I put some neosporin on it, and she didn't mind. Dixie did try to lick it off, but I stopped her, and she hasn't messed with her since. They're sleeping together on my jacket on the floor right now.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Try adding an egg to her food, or adding Biotin to her diet, it helps with the coat.

Also, take her collar off. Only put it on when you are taking her for a walk, when shes inside remove it. The collar creates a ring around the neck which is quite undesirable in a show dog.

Good luck with her!

P.S. I use a mixture of Suave conditioner and water. About 70-75%water and a bit of conditioner in a spray bottle. It dampens the coat, leaves them smelling wonderful, and if you dont add too much conditioner it wont leave the coat wavy looking
LizzieCollie,

Thank you SOOO much for the advice about the conditioner/spray bottle! We didn't have suave, so I used White Rain, and you can litterally see her coat sheen! It's sooo pretty, and shiney! Thanks again!

p.s. She smells GREAT too!

diva pup

Hi, I was looking through your pics and I do have a suggestion:)
The next time you shave her ears do not take them down so far, you don't want to shave the whole ear, just the top third. You do want to leave some ear fringe. Good luck:)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you very much diva_pup! I too read that you're supposed to only cut 1/3 of the ear. But unfortunately it was after I'd trimmed them. :p I'm going to do it right next time though! Thanks again! :D

Members online

No members online now.