Adult vs. puppy, big vs. small

JacksonsMom

How do you decide?!?!

I pretty much am debating between like four breeds at this point (two small, two medium-ish) but I won't be adding another for at least another year.

I'm not sure adding a larger dog (40lbs+) would be best for me at this point in my life even though I really want to have something a tad bigger (but preferably not over 50 or so pounds). I admit, I do really like the portability of Jackson, he's welcome in a lot more places (and peoples houses I visit, etc) , easy to lift up out of trouble if need be, everything in general is cheaper (food, collars, medicine, etc), not as much hair, everything is just less messy in general, etc, etc.

For those that went from small dog to big dog, or big dog to small dog, how do you decide?

Also... puppy vs. adult. That's another that I can't decide. In one way, I really really enjoy raising a dog from puppyhood, being able to sort of shape them into what I want. I also just enjoy young puppies and teaching them. But then again, in some cases, it doesn't matter what you do with a dog as a pup, they still could have an issue. With an adult dog, normally what you see is what you get. Their personality is already set in stone for the most part and you know of any potential personality quirks they may have.

Just random, but what has your experiences been?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I prefer pups to mesh in my pack but if the right adult came along Id be thrilled, puppies are exhausting.

I prefer "medium" dogs, it's just that easy. I will however add a smaller dog someday.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Well I've done all the above with my current crew...depending on how you define big & small. I consider Webster at 20lbs to be small, and Kim & Mira at 24" jump heights (even if Mira is the shortest dog in her class and borderline) and 50lbs (+/-) to be big, for my purposes anyway.

In my case it was always just finding the right individual. Webby was a young adult and was sort of on trial at first which I think is important so you have a chance to see if they mesh with the dog(s) you already have. I was supposed to get my Canaan puppy but Web came up and needed an out...and turned out to be the right guy for the job. Lucky. Both of us.

It's just really difficult for me to generalize on this. My experiences are very specific to my situations.

I like puppies. As much work as they are, you can mold them into whatever you want a lot of the time. And if you get an older dog sometimes they come with aggression etc that is harder to train out.

I like large dogs simply because I've grown up with them. Crystal is actually the smallest out of all of my previous dogs at 35 pounds. In fact all of my other dogs have been 65+ lbs. I just love big dogs. But if for some reason I had to move to an apartment with restrictions, and I had a large dog, I could see how hard that would be. So I am no help there. I just grew up with bigger dogs.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I pefer adding a puppy. We added Mitsu when she was 4 months old and I wish she was younger than that when I rescue her. But if the right adult came along and the dog meshed well with my dogs than I would gladly add the dog.

I was planning on adding a giant dog into my home before we decided to keep Mitsu, but reality has hit and with us travling a lot and just the sheer size of the dog and having a 60lb puppy and a small dog its just not realistic traveling with that size of dog plus my other two, so i've decided to look at smaller-ish breeds just in case the option comes up for us to take in another dog.

I'm a big believer in genetics so I do think for the most part the nerves and stability of the dog is set but you can do things to tweak. That being said, my main reason for wanting puppies (from breeders) is I really really enjoy teaching them to learn. I love how you can take a puppy and really really let them figure things out in their major sponge stage. Not that you can't do that with an adult, just that I tend to like it more so with a puppy.

But if I was going to a shelter I would 100% go with an adult because I don't want to get a nervy, no drive Kaylee dog again. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into if I know none of the history behind the dog or it's ancestors.

Puppies are a pain more times than not. But it's so fun watching them grow and molding them and letting them discover the world. The best part is watching them start to really come into themselves. Little puppies are cute and puppyish but when they start getting legs and the ability to keep up it just becomes so much fun.

I debated bringing in an adult Koolie instead of a puppy for awhile. Still on the maybe board. But I decided if I was going to be spending the money on importing I would bring in a dog that I could enjoy all stages from the cute, rolly puppy part to the shark mouth, getting into everything stage.

Not sure if this post was helpful at all though.

Maxy24

I don't see the appeal of puppies at all, I really don't lol. Genetics play a huge role, our "moldable puppy" became dog reactive and human aggressive, was scared of strangers from day one, no amount of molding was going to undo it. I enjoy training adults so much better because they actually pay attention and have some self control. I like that they can lay on the couch while I'm on the computer, not go destroy something or pee on the floor because I took my eyes off of them for five seconds. I don't bleed everyday anymore. When I think of how short of a time he actually was a puppy I'm shocked by how long it felt. I mean his biting was very much curbed by four months of age, it felt like a decade.

Some people are just not puppy people, you need to find out if you are.

And yes, if you get a puppy from a great breeder you should have a better genetic slate to start from than we did.

JacksonsMom

I'm a big believer in genetics so I do think for the most part the nerves and stability of the dog is set but you can do things to tweak. That being said, my main reason for wanting puppies (from breeders) is I really really enjoy teaching them to learn. I love how you can take a puppy and really really let them figure things out in their major sponge stage. Not that you can't do that with an adult, just that I tend to like it more so with a puppy.

But if I was going to a shelter I would 100% go with an adult because I don't want to get a nervy, no drive Kaylee dog again. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into if I know none of the history behind the dog or it's ancestors.

Puppies are a pain more times than not. But it's so fun watching them grow and molding them and letting them discover the world. The best part is watching them start to really come into themselves. Little puppies are cute and puppyish but when they start getting legs and the ability to keep up it just becomes so much fun.

I debated bringing in an adult Koolie instead of a puppy for awhile. Still on the maybe board. But I decided if I was going to be spending the money on importing I would bring in a dog that I could enjoy all stages from the cute, rolly puppy part to the shark mouth, getting into everything stage.

Not sure if this post was helpful at all though.
I think this is kind of my train of thought right now and why I want to go through a breeder next time around. I want to know what the parents were like, and the ones before them, and be able to see the siblings possibly, etc.

I feel like getting puppies from a rescue is SUCH a crapshoot that it's something I wouldn't really want to risk.

I have kind of specific needs and wants for my next dog, so either an adult who is in a foster home or a puppy from a breeder is going to be my next move. I'm sure of that. Just can't decide on size or age, Lol.

Saeleofu

I like medium to large dogs, ideally 40+ pounds but still under 90 pounds. I do want a Great Dane someday, but not yet.

I wanted a puppy. Then I got Gavroche as an adult, and it was fantastic! Now I'd be happy to never have to raise a puppy again. Adult dogs are so much easier from the start.

Logan was a bit of a different situation. I needed a larger dog, specifically a taller one, to be a working dog. I also wanted a young adult so I wouldn't have to wait FOREVERRRRRRR to start really training him. His breeder did a fantastic job socializing him and with his foundation training.

If I were to just get a pet, I'd probably go to a shelter and find the dog that I seemed to click with, and was an adult. When Gavroche came into the clinic I loved him instantly, and he's exactly what I needed at the time. He was my heart dog right away, and I was so disappointed that I couldn't have him - except then all of a sudden I could :D

I wanted to keep Tango. I really, really did. At first. The longer I had him the more I realized I'm just NOT ready for a small dog at this point. I do want one, some day, but not any time soon. I'll get my small dog fixes through intermittent fostering until then ;)

monkeys23

I prefer older puppies and young adults. Definitely medium to large sized. I am just not at all a small dog person and that was very heavily reinforced as truth during my fostering Spaz as I had never lived with a small dog myself before that.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I thought Smudge was going to be a dane.. But for many of your originally stated reasons I got another cocker. Danes, dobes, afghans, and a few other bigger breeds are still on my like list, but portability again.. Easier to put three dogs under 30 pounds in my car along with their gear.. So pup three is looking to be o a similar size too.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
If I were you, at this point, I would go with puppy or adult small breed. PERSONALLY unless I found an adult in rescue that I had to have, I'd get a puppy. I just enjoy raising puppies. But I have a huge soft spot in my heart for adult rescues (or any rescue really, but I know you want a certain temperament) because of Chloe. So that'd be a hard call for me. But yeah, that's my advice. I say small breed because you can take them both with you places with a lot less hassle. When I had Dixie and Lucy, they were basically like one dog, a package deal. We took them everywhere with us together.

BostonBanker

Dog size was never a question for me - I need them big enough to not make me panic about having them at the barn, and small enough to sling around and take everywhere. I wouldn't go smaller than Gusto (25 lbs) and wouldn't go much over 40 lbs.

Age? Good lord, I will never do a puppy again. I'm glad I did it once (sort of) but no. I got Meg at one year, and molded her into what I wanted just fine. I've loved Gusto all along, but I don't even want to do a puppy again. 10 months to 1.5 years - perfect. Young, very trainable, ready to start doing hikes and harder play.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
We decided on the 30 lbs range due to travel considerations. We like to take the dogs with us and Watson and Menchi are just a comfortable size. They are small enough to both fit in the car and go on longer drives without issues. I also like that I can pick each one up and carry them if I need too :)

I like getting a puppy, but I would not say no to a young adult or adult if the dog fit in well.

SarahHound

I like adults, and I know I won't ever have a puppy again. I didn't enjoy Katy's puppy hood, and she's not the dog I would have chosen knowing her now as pretty much an adult. We're not a good fit at all.

I like with adults, you know what you are getting with regards to looks and personality.

I have always preferred large dogs, but my tastes were getting smaller and smaller... which is why I got Squash, anticipating him being around his mom's size, but... not. I think ideally right around 40-50# is the perfect size for me, which I consider smallish compared to dogs I've had in the past. Although I do like my big Squashies, too. There's something to be said for a dog you can pet without having to lean over at all. :D

As far as adult vs puppy... I had never gotten a wee puppy before Squash. I had always been a fan of the 6-9 month old puppy to adult. As much as I hate, hate, hated some things about puppyhood (*cough*housetraining*cough*) I agree with Linds that going through that sponge brain stage with them, watching him learn how to learn and tweaking things that come up has been something I've enjoyed. I'd never really been a puppy person before, but now I feel like I could just go any which was as far as age goes depending on where I was getting a dog from and under what circumstances.

StillandSilent

We will not speak of Argon, since he was thrown into my lap and is not a all what I would have chosen for myself. Great dog, but not the best match for me or my situation.

When I chose Gambit...well, I wanted a male dog, since Argon does not accept mature females. I wanted something a little larger then him, but not large enough that I couldn't lift it or Argon would be intimidated. After much consulting on Chaz and in real life, I determined I was a good fit for whippets, BC's and Aussies. I knew I wanted a short coat. I knew I wanted a dog about 6-8 months old. Old enough that there would be no evil puppy stage, young enough to train and mold into what I wanted. Plus, the wait wouldn't be as long before I could start him in agility.

Instead I brought home a semi-feral coydog who will never compete in anything, unless its a crazy contest. Granted, I should have backed out the minute I saw him, and knew that the shelter had screwed me big time, but I couldn't leave him there, which is what I'm sure they were counting on.

Next time,thought, if I don't go the breeder route for a whippet or windhound, I'm going with an adult dog I can foster first or a much younger puppy.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I prefer small dogs and puppies.

Actually, I prefer "older" puppies (4-6 months old). Emma's breeder keeps her puppies until they're around that age to evaluate them for showing. It's nice having all of the hard work done for you! They're still very much puppies at that age, but they're not as difficult as 2-3 month old puppies.

Since I have multiple dogs, I find it easier to incorporate puppies in with them. I can mold them into the adult dogs I want them to be. If I came across the perfect adult dog, though, I'd consider it as well. I just would rather seek out puppies.

I don't think I ever want a large dog. Rory weighs 35lbs, and I prefer dogs to be his size or smaller. Easily portable :D

CaliTerp07

I grew up with large dogs. Labs, shepherds, rotties, huskies...it's all I ever knew. Then when I was in a position to get my own dog (married, stable job, on my own), I found myself living in an apartment with a 30 lb weight limit. Enter, 25 lb Lucy.

I. LOVE. IT.

I will never again go to a large dog. I think her size is absolutely perfect. She's not frou frou at all. She wrestles and rough houses with the best of them. My husband walks her without feeling emasculated (lol). She has the stamina to go for hours. She doesn't feel fragile at all like some small dogs I've handled.

At the same time, she easily fits in the car, she doesn't take up the whole couch or bed, I can carry her upstairs to the bathroom when she's a mud puddle after a walk through the woods, she eats less, and she will hopefully have the longer lifespan small breeds tend to have.

I think the smallest I'd ever be comfortable with is around 15 lbs, and the largest 30 lbs. It's a really narrow window, but it's what fits my wants.

Oh. And no puppies. Ever. So much work, so much frustration, so many social limitations, etc. We got Lucy at 3, and it was PERFECT. She never had an accident in the house, never chewed a thing, never had to be crated, and she could hold it all day while we were at work (no need for a dog walker or to use vacation hours to walk the dog...) She was still ridiculously springy and energetic, and just now at 7 or 8 is starting to be a calmer, more mellow dog.

crazedACD

I haaaaaaate 8 week old puppies. They need to be at least 10-12 weeks from a good breeder. I just don't like 8 week old puppies have the learning capacity to crate and potty train consistently. Ideally a 3-5 month old started pup would be great, for me.

Members online

No members online now.