The Dog Arrival Story Thread

Ash47

Taco Dog
Ok, how did your dog(s) come to you? Here's mine:

Precious:
My best friend Bruno had passed on and we decided we were ready to get another friend. So, we bought a newspaper to look for free pups. We saw Chow mix puppies-FREE So we went and looked at the pups and got the one red one. Oh she was just so adorable :)

Spud:
Nana got him from her very irresponsible breeder friend who had been breeding Pekingnese' and Shih-Tzus. My grandmother fell in love with one, but did not want to buy one. So, her friend gave Spud to her. When Nana found she did not have time to spend with Spud and that the lady next door basically wanted to kill him, she asked me to take him on. So I did, and I don't regret it for the world. He's my little protector.

Roxy Mae:
I decided that I wanted a small dog to be my constant company. I researched my breeds and decided a Chihuahua was the best for me. Voila!

nedim

Peanut: Decided I was ready for a dog when I was about 3.lol. But, I could'nt get one until we moved into our new house. A few months after we moved in, I started checking in a local shelter. At first, I was going to get a chiuhua, but the plan got messed up, so I adopted Peanut.

Medo: Medo is my dog even though he does not live with me. When I was vacationing in Europe with my family, my cousin came across a litter of puppies, approximately a few months old, with no mother in sight. He took the only 2 males from the litter. he kept one, and gave one to me to raise. Medo and I became instant buddies. Even though Peanut is my heart dog, Medo will always be special to me since he was my first. We don't know the exact mix Medo is, but I'm banking on Gsd/Wolf X or Gsd/Coyote X. Long story to explain it, but I won't bore you with details.lol

Saw this pic before or after going to Chicago.

5 weeks old and didnt have long till they where going to take him to the shelter. Other people on the board couldnt get him for a month or more.

Honestly could you stand by and let this pup go to any shelter?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Mack:
I had wanted a dog but since we lived in an apartment we couldn't get one, and then we found a house to rent that allowed dogs and a "breeder" had contacted me with these puppies and we talked, met him, and fell in love.

Shelby:
We wanted a playmate for Mack so we went to the shelter to adopt a weimeranier that they had there and he was gone. So we decided a lab would be better for us anyway, and we looked at the labs. Well we were just about to leave when we spotted Shelby and fell in love with her and brought her home.

Hannah:
My husband got her for me from a friend at his work that breeds labs. At first I didn't want her and told him to bring her back but after we had her a few days and he was going to bring her back I fell in love with her and we decided to keep her too.

Maverick:
Our friends decided we needed another dog so they went to a shelter and adopted him for us. They showed up at our door with him and since they can't have dogs where they live (they live in an apartment) he definetely had to stay with us. The shelter wouldn't take him back so we ended up keeping him too.

When I got my dog sweety my cousin had passed away and it was really hard on me. I needed a friend and thought that it was time to get a dog to hold and care for. So we just happened to pick up the paper and find a little chihuahua that needed a good home and I decided that I would take her in because she was having some hard times and I was myself. I figured we could help eachother out. So now Sweety and I are unbreakable! I have had her for 4 years about to be 5 years this new years. I always think about that day that we got her and how she really did help me get through all of the rough times. That is how I got my little baby girl Sweety. :)

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Rocky:

Well, I wasn't able to get a dog for sometime due to complications within' my family- anyway, my dad finally said that I could get a dog after some time. But at the time we were in an apartment that didn't allow dogs, so it didn't happen. But during that time I researched, looked at different breeds, etc.

My mind set was on a German shepherd, a puppy. So when I finally moved into a house, I began my search. I went to the vet, they gave me a breeder reference about 2 hours from where I live. Called the guy, at the time I liked him, talked to him about it-- and it was set.

I waited six long weeks (I think some of the board members can remember that :)). Rocky and I were actually born on the same day.

So anyway, the Rock and I have been through a lot together, he's helped me a lot in one aspect or another. He's my best friend, always by my side. I don't regret it one bit.

Becca_

chowchow
We was lettering a fan one evening in another town. The driver of this truck came in to see how it was going. He started talking about these 2 chow chow puppies and he needs a home for one, which wasnt his but the pup wasnt getting treated right. He left to go get the 2 pups to bring them to the shop we was at. My husband fell in love. The guy called the owner and convinced that person to let us have this puppy. So, we came home that night with Princess. And although she is my husband's dog, she seems to think she's mine.

Princess needed a playmate. So I talked my husband into getting a 2nd dog. We looked at rescues but decided because of having babies around the house alot, it would be best to go with a puppy. So this is how we came about Gracie, my baby.

Fran27

I had always wanted a dog. We had two cats at my parents' house, and during all my childhood my mom said we might get a dog eventually, but it never happened.

After I moved in with my ex 6 years ago, we were walking in the mall one day and stopped at the petshop. He fell in love with a little 3 months old min pin. So we brought him home. He called him Zog. It was a very irresponsible decision at the time, none of us knew anything about dogs, we had a very small apartment and we were away 9 to 10 hours a day. Needless to say, we never got to housetrain him. We moved in a house later, so he was outside a lot, then we broke up and none of us could keep him (he was going to move to his parents who didn't want pets, and I was going to move to a tiny apartment in Paris) so we gave him away.

I moved to the US to live with my husband 3 years ago. For the first year he wasn't working, so we stayed together a lot, but when he started working it started to be really hard for me to be alone all the time. We wanted to have a baby but it never worked, so after 2 years one day I just broke in tears and asked him to get a dog.
I had been wanting one for a few months, we looked at newfie breeders but none even bothered contacting us back, and I was so depressed I just couldn't handle waiting longer. So we went to the SPCA, but I didn't really fall in love with any of the dogs there. I didn't know petfinder at the time, nor did I know better, so we went to a place that sells puppies from different breeders (they sell the whole litter, so it's from backyard breeders, not puppy mills). I fell in love instantly with a golden retriever they had there. He was big for 10 weeks, and had the most adorable face. So we decided to get him, and called him Boris.

Then I started looking at petfinder every day. We wanted another dog eventually, but I found that Boris was extremely lazy during the day, mostly lying down and doing nothing, so I pushed my husband to get another soon. I had spotted three dogs I really liked on petfinder. Finally during a morning walk in the park about 3 months ago, he agreed to get another. So I contacted the rescue about the pup I liked the most from petfinder, a 7 weeks old black lab mix, and they replied right away. We didn't get to meet him before we went to pick him up, and we were surprised at how tiny he was, but I fell in love with him right away. We decided to call him Tips, as the tip of his tail, paws and nose are gray.

I have to say that my depression is gone now thanks to them.

lee and I decided it was time for us to get a dog, we visited the local shelters, but there was nothing suitable, all eithe rto big (our house is quite small) or the shelter said they weren't suitable for us. So on our way home I bought a paper, started looking through it and saw they had staff puppies for sale in my town. We rang them, and they said they had one girl left. We went up to look at her and we fell in love with Princess monique (thats shadows registered pedigree name). Took her home there and then, and she's been my best friend ever since.

Dreeza

We were having A LOT of trouble getting someone to allow us to adopt a dog...since we had never owned one, and he would have to be alone while my bro was at school...

We saw this pic of 'Tango'

called up the lady, and she said that he was crated while she was at work, so that is not a problem at all!

We drove the 2 hours out there, saw him, fell in love with him, took over an hour straight of spitting out possibly names to come up with "Oakley"

and our adventures began!!

ooh, and we also got him while my dad was out of town, because he was being a butthead and wouldnt completely agree to getting a dog...so he came home to a nice surprise :)

Colby Cheesehead:
My sister Abbie has always been an animal nut, and my mother has supported her, letting her have frogs, birds, fish, and lizards. Abbie had been begging for a dog for years and finally when she was 13 my mom said, "Fine. Get a dog." so my dad, Abbie, other sister Lennea and I visited shelters around the area looking for a dog, preferably a young one. Abbie wanted a basset hound but my dad didn't like him. Finally we were in a no-kill shelter and saw an adorable little tan puppy, laying in her cage wagging her tail at us. We asked the shelter woman to get her out for us and she lay there wagging her tail at us, licking our faces. The next day Abbie and my dad picked her up.

Mayberry:
Abbie was taking a walk in the forest preserve with her friend Liza and they found this emaciated chocolate lab, so they brought her back to our house and told us the story while they fed her treats. Being young, I put my hand under her nose for her to sniff me while she was eating because I knew you were supposed to let a dog get your scent. Instead of biting me, like my mom was afraid she would do, she lifted her head with a sad look on her face that asked, "Is she going to take my food?" we couldn't let a dog like that be euthanized.

Tippy:
It was the middle of winter and Lennea and I were out in the yard with Colby and May playing when we saw a multicolor dog in our next door neighbor's yard. We had never seen her before and she was very skinny, so we started feeding her. We fed her dogs treats, dog food, cheese, meat and bread. Finally she came into our yard and decided she wasn't going to leave. So we put the dog cage on our deck, stuffed a blanket in it, and left food and water for her and talked to the neighbor's two doors down who owned her (they had gotten her from a farm) and asked them if we could find her a home and they said yes. It was going to go below zero so my mom allowed her inside. Abbie bathed her and put a collar on her and Tippy was so proud of herself. Abbie planned on giving her to someone who had just lost their dog, but they found another dog so we were going to give her to a family we knew that was going to move to a farm. They didn't want her. Later we found out they got a dog and chained it to a tree all day long.

Chloe:

My Mom died three years ago on August 22nd. I had been taking care of her for a really long time, and felt myself with quite a bit of idle time, and had been wanting a Corgi for a long time, so I felt like it was the right time to get a puppy!! I was in the Portland area staying with my daughter while she was away at college. I saw some Corgi puppies in the newspaper, they were only an hour away so my daughter and I went to see them. They had a male and a female left, so I put a deposit down on Chloe. It help my heart heal so much to have her with me.

Jackson Browne:

A friend of mine at work had a litter of Dachshund puppies and had a male left. She kept trying to talk me into taking him, and I kept saying "NO" because I had just gotten Chloe about a month earlier and was right in the middle of puppy training. My husband had always told me that he wanted to have a Dachshund someday, so I finally gave in and brought the puppy home. My husband wasn't really that thrilled at first, because he thought we had our hands full with Chloe, but it turned out to be such a great thing, because they had eachother to grow up and play with. I'm so glad that I got him!! :D

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
Pixie- both my mom and I really wanted a dog for protection and a friend mainly just a good family pet who would love us and go to the ends of the earth for us. I checked alot of shelters and was interested in alot of dogs until we found a man holding a private adoption for his two Saint Bernard Mixes. Well Pixie (sam then) just stole both of our hearts and he knew we had to have her. 9 years old or not she is a wonderful dog.

Pashka- She does not live with me but with my dad as he took her in the divorce. One day my mom and i got back from the store and when we got home we walked in the door and there was a siberian husky puppy our Pashka running around the house! She was to be my first dog and was from my dad who got her from a fellow trucker. Pashka is also 9 years old and i miss her dearly.

dani12

I decided to have my kids volunteer at the Hum. Soc. by walking a couple of dogs. This way they could learn about volunteering by doing something they loved, playing with puppies and dogs. We had our Chesapeake pts about a month and a half earlier and our kids were ready for a puppy. My husband and I weren't, however, since we had Hobbes since he was an itty bitty puppy. Anyway, we went to the Hum. Soc. and we fell in love with what came to be our puppies. Usually when they get puppies in there are always applications on them but when I inquired about them, there were no apps. b/c they had just got them in the night before. So as fate would have it, we were first on the list and they soon came home with us!!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My husband and I had purchased our first house about 6 months earlier, and we wanted a giant-breed dog, since we're both "big dog" people. However, we both agreed that we could not get a dog until we fenced in our new yard.

Of course I cruised Petfinder every day anyway, and one day I saw a "mastiff mix". The picture was just of the dog's head, and the black mask looked just like a mastiff. I mentioned it to the hubby, and he asked if I would take a look during my lunch break. When I saw the dog, who was sleeping in the Humane Society director's office (the director was also his foster mom), I was shocked. This was definately NOT a mastiff mix. The poor thing was also completely emaciated: he was a bag of bones with a fur coat draped over it.

The lady told me that he was found dumped next to a highway. She didn't think he was a mastiff mix either, but he was the sweetest dog she had ever fostered. I sat down to talk to the director, and the dog walked over, sat down next to me and lay his head in my lap. The rest is history.

And our new fence went up the next day. :D

skyhigh

Spencer
I've been begging my parents for years to get a dog. Eventually ,they gave in. We looked around in different shelters. Took a few dogs out and played with them. But none seemed what we were looking for. We were advised to either get a golden retriever or a border collie for first time dog owners. And, well my mum stcuk with that. There was a beautiful Rotty at the shelter, but mum said no. Anyway, so we looked in the paper. There was an add for a border collie. We went and had a look at him. The next day, we picked him up. We found out that his 'breeders' lived up the road from us. He's a mixed breed. Not pure. Anyhoo, we still love him

Maddy
Our main choice for a dog was a German Shepherd. My dad always wanted one. So, about 4 months ago I started researching the breed. I found a few breeders within a 3 hour radius of my area. I talked to a few. Got more info. Anyway, so we went and visited some pups. As soon as i saw her run out of her bedtoom, i new she was the one. She came running with her brother. They were adorable. It's very sad that her brother is now dead. He died from the next owner lacking to vaccinate him.

Im planning to rescue a dog in the future. Hopefully in maybe 5 years or so. I have a lot on my mind at the moment. And, two dogs are alot already for where we live. I've never seen anyone with three or more dogs here. Anyhoo, thats my story

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sawyer:

I was getting ready to graduate college and was really depressed about having to move back in with my parents, so I asked if I could get a dog. I had been doing a ton of research prior to this and had settled on an Aussie. I looked around at a bunch of breeders and rescue sites and put in an application with ARPH (Aussie Rescue) just so it would be on file if and when I found the dog I wanted. The next day I got an email from the local rep. who pointed out this male Aussie that was in a shelter. ARPH sprung him out the day after that and put "Poncho" and his sister Veeva in with a foster mom to recuperate because they both were very dirty, skinny and had a case of intestinal worms. After bouts of furious emailing back and forth and a surprise meeting at the Pet Expo, I got Poncho, now named Sawyer a week after I moved back home. To this day I believe that he and I were meant for each other.

Aubrey:

A couple weeks ago I was taking a bag of food to one of the local shelters for donation and my car died in the parking lot. So while I was waiting for Daniel to show up, I noticed this cute little RottieX playing with a couple other dogs in the yard. I knew how much Daniel loved Rotts, so I ever so sneakily did not say anything about this dog, knowing he would see her, which he did. He hadn't really been planning on getting a dog for a while yet, but since she and Sawyer got along well enough at the first meeting and she really seemed to take to Daniel, we went back the next day and got "Sissy", named her Guinness right off the bat because we weren't going to call this dog Sissy in public, and changed it to Aubrey this week because Daniel liked that name better. (After Capt. Jack Aubrey in the Patrick O'Brien books, his all time favorite author...they made a movie out of Master and Commander)

Members online

No members online now.