Is a martingale ok for a small dog?

dianep3a

My dog is a 12 pound chi mix. He appeared on my front porch during a rain storm back in April with a frayed nylon collar on. It was obvious he had been stuck on something and had to struggle pretty hard to break free. He went to the local shelter and after they advertised him as missing I adopted him.

I have been using a harness (Ezy Dog) on him since. He never wears a collar. Everything I read, including here, warns against collars on smaller dogs.

My problem is that for training him on leash I just don't have enough control. He is constantly trying to eat stuff off the ground. He knows and obeys "leave it" pretty well but sometimes he can just get a stubborn streak.
Also he barks alot and pulls on the leash when people are walking by. We live on a corner so it is really an issue during the summer.

My understanding of a martigale is that I would have more control and be able to correct him. Is this type of collar ok for such a small dog or do the warnings about damaging the trachea apply here as well.

Maxy24

You should not need to give jerk corrections to get control. The reason we don't like collars on smaller dogs is because of their delicate wind pipes and trachea. Giving collar corrections would be risking injuring those. I would get a gentle leader harness. They teach the dog not to pull and give you more control. Keep working on leave it inside, then practice outside and then on walks (bring treats!) also teach him to heal. In the meantime use a gentle leader.

Dekka

Just try me..
12 pounds is pretty big for a small dog :D. I have a 6 pound and 11 pound JRT, both walk on flat buckle collars, as do all my dogs. I find if you train them to walk beside you in a low distraction area, like a back yard, then you don't need to worry about needing to correct him (and that is where the damage can happen) Martingale collars are fine, and are really good for dogs who's heads are narrower than their necks (like sight hounds)

Herschel

My dog is a 12 pound chi mix. He appeared on my front porch during a rain storm back in April with a frayed nylon collar on. It was obvious he had been stuck on something and had to struggle pretty hard to break free. He went to the local shelter and after they advertised him as missing I adopted him.

I have been using a harness (Ezy Dog) on him since. He never wears a collar. Everything I read, including here, warns against collars on smaller dogs.

My problem is that for training him on leash I just don't have enough control. He is constantly trying to eat stuff off the ground. He knows and obeys "leave it" pretty well but sometimes he can just get a stubborn streak.
Also he barks alot and pulls on the leash when people are walking by. We live on a corner so it is really an issue during the summer.

My understanding of a martigale is that I would have more control and be able to correct him. Is this type of collar ok for such a small dog or do the warnings about damaging the trachea apply here as well.
Have you tried a better harness, like the Premier Surefit or Puppia? Just because he is on a harness doesn't mean you have less control. (Are you using a retractable leash?)

dianep3a

He has a red Puppia but the head opening is a bit big on the medium size I got because the small opening was too snug. I'm in the process of trying to fix it to fit so that he can't fit his jaw under it to chew it to bits.

I have a large, nasty scar on my calf from the retractable leash i bought when I first adopted him. Now I use either a 4 or 6 foot nylon leash most of the time. Also have a 4 foot chain leash.

LuvsDogs

As mentioned you don't need to use leash corrections on any dog. Teach 'lets go' by only moving forward when there's a loose leash. Stop when taught. Praise & treat when walking without pulling. I don't like retractable leashes bc of the danger you experienced. I find cotton webbing leashes are the best. Martingale collars are fine for walking & training only. Don't leave on all the time.

dianep3a

I agree about cotton webbing. I had one that I loved but one day when my brother was taking care of him he chewed right through it.

I'm more confident of the nylon lead I'm using now as far as durablity goes but I do feel it burns more when he's being difficult.

Members online

No members online now.