rose ear

eddieman3

My border collie lab mix possibly more (he's a mutt i think he has pitbull in him) has a rose ear. His ears used to be floppy and now they are starting to flop to the side. I was wondering if there was any way to brace his ears back to being floppy.

floppy

not so floppy

I was also wondering if maybe they would flop back when hes older or is it just something that happens when he gets older and it will stay like that.

BostonBanker

How long have they been rose ears? Meg's ears tend to vary between those two positions, depending on how she's holding her head, how alert she is, the phases of the moon:rolleyes: . Personally, I like the rose ears the best anyway! Not sure how you would change them, or even if you can.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
you could put special adhesive tape and tape them down :)
that will probably work, unless he is older. after he is about 8 months old there is usually not a way to make them do anything other than what they want to do.

or you could maybe put tunstun (sp) weights on the ends. someone else can elaborate.
maybe you should google up "ear taping, or ear glueing"

showpug

Yes, there is a way to tape rose ears back to button ears. Is your dog around 4 months now? A lot of times the ears will go in the rose position temporarily while they cut adult teeth in around 4-6 months.

Here is a picture of my pug pup with his ears taped. They need to be in the button position for the show ring so we tape them.

showpug

Here is a link of two different methods. Ear taping can be annoying and if the ears aren't given breaks it can be irritating to the skin. I hate taping ears. If your dog isn't going to be shown, you may not want to bother. I think your dog looks awesome with rose ears, but that is just my opinion! :)

http://www.bullmastiffsonline.com/ears.html

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Chloe ears did that also as you can see in my siggy when she was a baby (right side picture) up until she was about 4/5 months old (middle picture) they were "rose" and now her ears are most of the time like the picture on the left...:)

eddieman3

Yes, there is a way to tape rose ears back to button ears. Is your dog around 4 months now? A lot of times the ears will go in the rose position temporarily while they cut adult teeth in around 4-6 months.

Here is a picture of my pug pup with his ears taped. They need to be in the button position for the show ring so we tape them.
1.Do you know why it happens temporarily and for how long? because right now he is loosing his teeth.

2.today only one ear is a rose ear do you think that might mean they'll go back to regular?

3.do you think we should tape his ears just to be sure that they go back?

Last edited:

showpug

1.Do you know why it happens temporarily and for how long? because right now he is loosing his teeth.

2.how would you go about taping his ears and for how long and is it okay for him?

3.do you think we should tape his ears just to be sure that they go back?
I don't know exactly why teething effects ear carriage, I just know it does. I learned about it back when I had my dane cropped and I had to tape his ears. It may very well be temporary because he is teething right now. There is no way to know for sure if they will return to the button position or stay rose ears from here on out. You may wake up tomorrow and they could suddenly be buttons again, you never know.

To tape ears, I just use regular first aid adhesive tape. I gently sandwich the ear in half so the two edges are pointing upwards. Then I apply the tape snuggly, but not too tight around the whole folded ear and leave it on for about 2 days on then 2 days off. I do this until all adult teeth are in. Sometimes, despite my efforts, the ears will still go back to the rose position. In this case, we just tape for a few days before the show.

It is safe to tape ears if the tape is applied so it is not too tight and you watch for skin irritation etc.

If it were my dog, I wouldn't bother taping him. I like the rose ears on him though. If he has pittie in him then he may very well have rose ears from here on out. If you are stuck on buttons, then you can sure try taping.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i agree, unless your planning on showing (which you cant with a mixed breed) then i woudnt worry...

but for the record to agree...the chis ears tend to flop during teething, then afterwards they stand back up again usually

Members online

No members online now.