Closest Terrier breed to a Rottie?

Y

yuckaduck

Boxer*Mom said:
Do you not know the difference between a kingsnake and black mamba?!

The Kingsnake derives its name from its habit of eating other snakes, and is most famous for eating rattlesnakes, copperheads and coral snakes. But it also feeds on other snakes, lizards, birds and their eggs, small mammals, turtles and frogs. The Common Kingsnake is a nonvenomous member of the "harmless" Colubridae Family, which includes gopher snakes, garter snakes and whip snakes.

A Black Mamba: As little as two drops of venom can kill a person and a mamba can have up to 20 drops of venom in its fangs. The most deadly snake in the world. Plus they feed on small mammals and birds, like voles, rats, squirrels, mice, rats, or bush babies. Glad they only live in south Africa!

I did a quick google search on the King Snake and it is poisnious at least the site I looked at said it was. They compared it to the cobra, and it was #11 on most deadly, the black momba was #10.

Somehow I do not think getting a snake to kill a snake is any solution. Take a look at the site link provided, there is a fence that keeps snakes out.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
yuckaduck said:
A King SNake? You want to turn it loose in your backyard?

How about a black momba?

I kinda think you are adding more to the problem by adding more in.

How to remove a snake?
http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/wildlife/g908.htm

Then there is this one who actually killed an alligator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4313978.stm
Black Mambas are probably the... absolute worse type of snake you can get. They travel at a VERY fast pace, they strike VERY fast, and they're VERY poisonous. They're probably equivalent to 7 moccassins.

Also, I know you're an animal lover, and I'm VERY sorry for your loss. Must've been tough... but is there anyway you can keep your dogs inside. That's likely to happen again.

I don't know what to say about the snake problem but if you're looking for a dog that's capable of finding a snake or even killing it-- you're right, terriers are the way to go. But it's not really a position you want to put any dog in.

A dog that I'd recommend if you like Rotties would either be an APBT or AmStaff. Both very good dogs.

Meggie

yuckaduck said:
I did a quick google search on the King Snake and it is poisnious at least the site I looked at said it was. They compared it to the cobra, and it was #11 on most deadly, the black momba was #10.

Somehow I do not think getting a snake to kill a snake is any solution. Take a look at the site link provided, there is a fence that keeps snakes out.
http://www.floridaconservation.org/viewing/species/snakesn.html#king

Y

yuckaduck

BigDog2191 said:
Black Mambas are probably the... absolute worse type of snake you can get. They travel at a VERY fast pace, they strike VERY fast, and they're VERY poisonous. They're probably equivalent to 7 moccassins.

Actually the water moccassins was higher up on the list of most dangerous. Maybe because there are more of them I do not know. I do know that the black mombas are dangerous but so are the king snakes and what have you.

Snakes yuck, all I can say is the first thing I would do is move. I hate snakes they are the only thing that I hate in this world, even more then the komodo dragon. Snakes they slither on the ground, they have no legs that is the devil as far as I am concerned.

I was not suggesting the black momba to get anyone one killed either, the point was bringing in more snakes is not a solution.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
yuckaduck said:
Actually the water moccassins was higher up on the list of most dangerous. Maybe because there are more of them I do not know. I do know that the black mombas are dangerous but so are the king snakes and what have you.

Snakes yuck, all I can say is the first thing I would do is move. I hate snakes they are the only thing that I hate in this world, even more then the komodo dragon. Snakes they slither on the ground, they have no legs that is the devil as far as I am concerned.

I was not suggesting the black momba to get anyone one killed either, the point was bringing in more snakes is not a solution.
I agree. Even King Snakes, they reproduce like crazy, lay eggs everywhere. You would be adding to the snake problem.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
It's a big no no to kill a kingsnake around here, they kill field mice and rattlesnakes for us =) We have a ball python that lives in this room I'm in right now! As long as you know how to handle snakes, they're just like another pet, that doesn't make any noise.

Link for info. about the deadly snake, the black mamba
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wildkingdom/blackmamba/blackmamba.html

Y

yuckaduck

Ok the king snake I looked at is not the same at all, it was a King Cobra sorry for the confusion.

Here is the write up on the King Snake that we are actually talking about

The kingsnake is a large, powerful snake found throughout mainland Florida in a variety of habitats, often near water. Although normally between 36 and 48 inches, it is known to reach 82 inches in length.

The kingsnake color pattern varies almost as dramatically as that of the rat snakes. In north Florida, most are the eastern kingsnake variety, which is shiny black with narrow crossbands of white or light yellow. Most central and south Florida specimens are the Florida kingsnake variety, with many indistinct crossbands on a yellow and black "salt and pepper" background. Some populations are intermediately speckled or blotched, but all varieties have the distinctive kingsnake chin marked by black and yellow.

The kingsnake is an egg-laying constrictor, feeding primarily on rodents, birds and reptiles. Its reputation as the "king of snakes" probably stems form its fondness for eating other snakes, including rattlesnakes and other pit vipers, whose venom does not harm the kingsnake. Persons not keen about having many snakes on their property should be careful to safeguard their local kingsnakes!

It is a constrictor and a rather large one so it may enjoy squeezing your dog to death or one of the kids. I still think it is better to try the fence or keep the dog inside.

Y

yuckaduck

Boxer*Mom said:
It's a big no no to kill a kingsnake around here, they kill field mice and rattlesnakes for us =) We have a ball python that lives in this room I'm in right now! As long as you know how to handle snakes, they're just like another pet, that doesn't make any noise.

Link for info. about the deadly snake, the black mamba
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wildkingdom/blackmamba/blackmamba.html

Totally off topic well almost.........is it true if you put a snake in the freezer it slows down its motabilism and almost puts it into a sleep? I just ask because there is a snake and reptile exhibition that Marc wants to take the girls too but I said no way it is not safe. He said they freeze the snakes first so they are in a deep sleep or trance like.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
I used to work at a Wildlife Rehabilation Center that put on shows for people visiting the grounds, and we had snakes ranging from 2 to 8 feet long. We also raised our own rabbits, mice, and rats to feed them. We never put them in a fridge or freezer before a group came through! Although that might work because they are cold blooded. I don't think you should be scared to let your kids have a hands on educational experience. it's a lot of fun actually.

Yeah that's a big difference between a kingsnake and a king cobra!

Saje

Island dweller
we used to go to reptile exhibits as a kid. So much fun! My sis even held a tranantula. oh i can't spell that and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Meggie

yuckaduck said:
Totally off topic well almost.........is it true if you put a snake in the freezer it slows down its motabilism and almost puts it into a sleep? I just ask because there is a snake and reptile exhibition that Marc wants to take the girls too but I said no way it is not safe. He said they freeze the snakes first so they are in a deep sleep or trance like.
I doubt they would freeze them. As far as I know, they're well fed beforehand. Snakes are very food driven so if they're well fed, they barely move.

It'll be a great experience for your kids, especially if you have a snake phobia. I am spastically afraid of spiders and went to a show like that where they had a tarantula. I sucked it up and pet the #$%^ thing in front of my kids. Darned near fainted when she suggested letting it crawl on my hand though!

Y

yuckaduck

Meggie said:
I doubt they would freeze them. As far as I know, they're well fed beforehand. Snakes are very food driven so if they're well fed, they barely move.

It'll be a great experience for your kids, especially if you have a snake phobia. I am spastically afraid of spiders and went to a show like that where they had a tarantula. I sucked it up and pet the #$%^ thing in front of my kids. Darned near fainted when she suggested letting it crawl on my hand though!

Oh god I think if a snake comes near me I will faint. I am just absolutely terrified of them. Even the little harmless ones, I freak at. I think if they go I will stay home because my fears will likely influence them and that is not good.

mwood322

Freezing snakes before a show would be counter productive. Most likely if cold enough the ones from warm locations would go off their feed, get a cold, or possibly die from the temp change. I doubt anyone at an expo would ever recommend cooling a snake that much, that quickly, though some are kept cooler to induce breeding.

I have 4 snakes in the room with my computer, 2 corns, 1 ball python, and 1 ribbon, and so far only one bite in 3 years. (forgot to wash my hands) I think they're great pets, and I highly doubt anyone would bring a bitey one to a show. Generally they're selling snakes at those too, so bringing an aggressive snake would be pointless. :rolleyes:

Feeding them right before hand wouldn't be a great idea either. If too recently, they might regurgitate. It would probably be a few days after a feed, when they're still full, but not just full, and not quite done digesting yet. Handling can be stressful for snakes.

--Mia

Members online

No members online now.