Mordy help! Picky Eater

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Well.. Riot has ALWAYS been a finicky eater.

While we were at the cottage, he was extremely active going on hikes daily as well as long swims daily. He gained a fair amount of muscle in a week - BUT he also lost a significant amount of weight.

I had doubled his food intake while at the cottage knowing he was going to loose weight the way he was so active..

but it didn't work very well for him lol

What can I suppliment into his food that will help him gain weight. Hes at the point where I can feel ribs and half of his spine (although in Belgians feeling a slight bit of spine is acceptable for showing).

Anyways, he is being fed "Fromm Duck and Potato".

He likes the food - but only eats small amounts at a time.

Right now I'm giving him 2 tb spoons of Eagle Pack Lamb formula mixed in with his 2 cups of Fromm twice a day. So far he is eating it.

but, I dont like canned food for him. I noticed when he was younger he developed plaque quite quickly when given canned food even with daily brushing.

Is there anything else that would be healthy for him to have mixed in with his dry food???

Mordy

Quigleyfied
If he can tolerate it, you could increase the overall fat content of the diet. Fat supplies 2 1/4 times as many calories per weight unit as protein and carbs.

My personal choice in that case are meaty bones with a good bit of fat or skin on them, but I don't know if that's something you would consider doing.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Long as it wasn't dangerous to his overall healthy I'd give it a shot.

He loves the raw bones that I get him from the butcher

He gets the beef marrow soup bones with chunks of meat still on them.

Anything specific I should ask for?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
You'll want something that he can actually consume, not just chew on. Chicken and turkey necks with the skin on, lamb ribs/breast, chicken wings, stuff like that. :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hannah loves the chicken leg quarters. I gotta watch her to make sure she actually chews though, but usually when she gets bones that's what she'll get. I noticed that the small amount of plaque that she had went away after about a week of chewing on the chicken leg quarters. She didn't have much but it was very stubborn, even with brushing every other day.

Members online

No members online now.