Simi says Yay I say Nay!

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
About a couple of things actually.

First, and this is kind of related -- I just made Simi a fleece tug with rabbit pelt braided in. She LOVES it. I'm itching from rabbit fur EVERYWHERE. Simi says "yay! bunny pelt tug!" I say "nay, too much flying fur!"

Next thing is tugging. I love tugging with her, don't get me wrong, and she enjoys it, but for ages now we've had a problem of instead of getting the tug she's getting my hand. Now, this tug I braided extra long in an attempt to keep her mouth AWAY from my hands because I'm really starting to fear for my knuckles. I took her out with the new tug just now and she got my hand right off the bat. I'm at a loss of what to do to STOP her from doing that. I'm seriously starting to worry about her breaking knuckles.

Halp?

I just make the fun stop. If my dogs get flesh, the toy goes back into my pocket and the play stops. But, wait? That's no fun! For the most part they figure it out eventually, except for Noods, he still prefer to grab the toy as close to your hand as possible, but he's VERY hard to impression from the stop-play-game.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
She's targeting your hands. So when she gets you, say "ouch!!!" And the game ends for a bit. Reward calm full grips with winning the tug.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Dogs can tell the difference between your flesh and a toy. When she gets your hand, you say "ouch!", take your hand and the toy away and stop the game. That would bother me too! Eve did it a few times as a puppy, but she learned that every time she made me squeal by biting me, all her fun would end.

Edit: Walked away from the PC while I was typing this and people beat me to it! So yep, what they said!

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I'll have to start doing it. At this point she doesn't seem to care. I'll say "Ouch, no!" when she makes contact and she's like "ooh... wait, what's that shiny thing over there?!" but I'll start making a bigger deal of it... maybe even crating her if I have to.

Members online

No members online now.