Puppy Exercise

How old is your puppy?

What breed is your puppy?

How much exercise does he get a day? (time outside spent walking, running, jogging, etc...)

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus is a bit over six months
Sheltie
5 hours outside playing with other dogs
20 minutes to 45 minute walk daily

missbeckydee

Yee Wee Beastie
Jester is a 10 month old lab puppy...

He plays with his buddy for 5 hours a day, 3 times a week plus a 45-minute walk before dinner. On the 2 days that Fiona does not come over, he usually gets 3-5 sessions with the ball and 2 45-minutes walks.

Java is a threeish month old mutt.

He doesn't get enough exercise. But we're working on that because its one of those joys in life to tire out a puppy.

Amalthea

wolf girl
Moro is one year and one month old
she is a wolf/GSD mix (I think... I'm not sure the person I got her from was telling the truth about what mix and % of wolf she is, she may have a different dog mixed in there somewhere)
She gets a 2-hour walk/jog daily, runs with my husband on rollerblades once or twice a week, and about 4-5 hours daily playing in the backyard with our other dog, unless it's raining a lot or bad weather

Midas is 6 months old
yellow lab
He gets the 4-5 hours outside in the yard with Moro, and takes a shorter walk seperate from her, usually about half an hour, or more if he's enjoying it. He's a little less eager to go off exploring the world than she is, and likes to return home faster and stay in familiar areas near the house when we walk.

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
My pups (Nova, Sierra, Cheyenne, and Gremlin) are 4.5 month old Husky pups, and play with each other in the kennel for about 2 hours a day, and free run for about 1.5 hours. (45 mins in morning, 45 mins in afternoon).

Sonoma

Sonoma is ~6 months

She is a Boxer/Whippet mix (we think!)

30-60 minutes at the beach (usually with many other dogs) as many days a week as possible and at least a good 30 minute walk too. Two long walks if we don't make it to the beach. She also has a large fenced in yard that she has full run of a few times per day (weather permitting).

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The say that a puppy should get 5 mins walking for every month of it's life (not including indoor playtime)... And should not attempt stairs, jumping etc etc.

This is to allow the soft bones in the legs to develop properly.

Follow this up till about 1 year of age - probably more like 2 years with large breed dogs.

I have to say, I probably went over this with Bodhi when she was a pup, though I did try and limit her walks as much as I could....

Now, she is 1 year, and we get no set time for walks... I would say we average about 2 hours per day... And usually more if we can... Sometimes less!!

Java now gets about 45 minutes of walking on most days. That seems to tire him out nicely.

How much is a lot of jumping and climbing? Is climbing up onto a log a few times a day too much? One of the funnest parts of our daily walk is jumping/climbing up onto a log and walking up and down it lenghtwise a few times. We've even gone on to going up into the air and changing logs off the ground.

mlee

Depends on the day really....

Most weekdays Peyton gets a couple 15 minute walks during the day and a longer 30-45 minute walk in the evening. He gets longer play time outside if some of his doggie "buddies" from the surrounding apt. buildings are out, less if I have an exam.

Weekends are lazier if it's icky out (which michigan in late fall/early winter usually is) but there's always a long round of fetch going on in the apt. And on nice days we visit my sister's house which has a great dog run with a huge pile of leaves or we go to my bf's parent's house and visit their country dog Sherman (a golden lab/cocker mix) for a nice run around their small (few acre) pine tree farm :)

showpug

I love having lazy dogs ;)

Indoor play all day with occasional potty breaks. They spend the majority of the day snoring in a pile. Even my 5 month old bulldog puppy. :rolleyes:

candaceluvspebbles

#1 Animal lover :)
Hi

Pebbles is a 9mth chihuahua.
Her exercise is mainly just running around the house,playing with bella my other dog (Chihuahua/foxie/jack russell) outside the back until she wants to come inside and have a rest.Shes not really used to her leash yet so untill then she can play and run around our yard.
Shes quite tiny so it doesn't take much to get her exausted,lol
But even then shes still like a big ball of energy!! :D
Bella gets her walks down the oval and plays with pebbs in the backyard.

Pebbles=left-Bella=Right

Duke is a 9 month old Dutch Shepard/Australian Cattle Dog mix. He spends 3-4 hours every day at the dog park. Rain or shine we are there. When its nice on the weekends we will be out up to 6 or more hours at the park.

Jessiep

Davey is almost 4 months old and is a puggle.

He gets 2 walks of 20 mintues each almost every day. When we have puppy class he doesn't get the second walk. Plus he always gets an in-house fetch play session. This all seems to be the right amount of exercise, it took us a bit to figure it out.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Name: Dixie :D

Breed: Yorkie

Name: Lucy

Breed: Silky Terrier/Yorkie cross

Name: Zoey

Breed: Shih-Tzu

Exercise (all 3): We take the dogs out once every 1-3 hours for about 2-5 minutes(potty break), and we have started taking them them for two 15 min walks a day. (It will eventually be 20-25, but it's 38F outside right now!) Plus the girls play with us all the time, since we're home 24/7 (homeschool). They haven't been getting enough exercise with just going outside to potty, and it shows in their behaviour, so we're starting to walk them more.

hehe, my boy isn't a puppy but, Hershey is a 6 year old Labrador Retriever, he gets Oh, 1 hour of exercise, and still is fat. hehe. (probably feed him too much) don't mean to, I am trying to feed him less. I love him though.

Members online

No members online now.