4/52 Technical and Conceptual Challenge

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Things are slowly but surely cleaning up. We're out of the apartment, Sloan is almost out of heat, and I've started my work project proposal. I want to go back and shoot each week now. I'm really inspired by your work, every piece!

This week we're moving on with a technical challenge which will involve some conceptual thought process.

Your challenge this week is:

Night photography

The goal of this week is to work on your skills shooting at night in two styles. Both with a low ISO & long shutter as well as a high ISO & short shutter. This means you will need two final images. These two settings can be of the exact same shot for a compare and contrast or you can use two different set ups and explore why each was a better fit for the different settings. Flash should not be used in this weeks challenge.

Again, you may or may not use your dogs in this challenge.

You can take as many shots as you would like but I discourage much post process work in PS or the like.

When you are finished you'll post the final product here. You'll post 2 final images.

Good luck guys and again have fun!

This shows the two different settings optimal for night photography. http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/camera/settings/night-slr-settings.shtml

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Ahhh! Super excited for this!! Can't wait to get out and shoot some sweet night pictures.
I can't wait to see them. You're seriously kicking ass. I am just sorry I haven't been on and replying enough lately (lurking a ton) to say that on each response. I've been following though and I'm very excited to see what comes next. I have a few notes written on word at home actually so hopefully tomorrow morning or Friday when I'm off I can start participating more again.

Taqroy

Eep now I have to be awake and leave my house at night. Horrors! :p I'm still working on my shot from last week too. >.<

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Eep now I have to be awake and leave my house at night. Horrors! :p I'm still working on my shot from last week too. >.<
hahaha yes... that part is hard but you could do an interior shot at night if you wanted. It may be interesting!

Definitely keep going back and doing previous weeks. I still need to and plan to.

I haven't done anything yet. I have been working on pictures, just not any that I can enter with the themes. Been traveling a lot on weeknights I just don't have the energy lately :) It's home, dogs, gym, dogs, bed. The camera doesn't get touched much. Our house is boring and lately it's been so cold, I don't want to go out and take pictures.

I do like seeing everyone else's creativity though, there have been a lot of good ones, and a couple that look like they belong on a photography board, not a dog board.

SaraB

I can't wait to see them. You're seriously kicking ass. I am just sorry I haven't been on and replying enough lately (lurking a ton) to say that on each response. I've been following though and I'm very excited to see what comes next. I have a few notes written on word at home actually so hopefully tomorrow morning or Friday when I'm off I can start participating more again.
awww, thanks!

I keep hoping I'll see your's posted everytime one of these threads gets bumped up! I'm super excited to see what you do.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I haven't done anything yet. I have been working on pictures, just not any that I can enter with the themes. Been traveling a lot on weeknights I just don't have the energy lately :) It's home, dogs, gym, dogs, bed. The camera doesn't get touched much. Our house is boring and lately it's been so cold, I don't want to go out and take pictures.

I do like seeing everyone else's creativity though, there have been a lot of good ones, and a couple that look like they belong on a photography board, not a dog board.
Agreed and I'm in the same boat except you make time for the gym and that makes me giggle. Gym? Me? Ha!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I haven't actually participated, but I've been following this and I can't wait to see this weeks pictures!!!

Ok, I went and took these after the gym :)

Needless to say, it's freakin cold. Below Zero air temp, no idea what the windchill is, but it was chilly to say the least. But it's probably the only night I could get out and do anything, so I did. All of these are straight from the camera, no cropping, no editing other than RAW to jpeg.

Settings: 4 sec Æ’/5.6 ISO 500 55mm

I kind of get my "smooth" water shot too :) The lights were yellow. I think this would be a much better shot with lights that were more white. I think it would have captured the fog coming off the water, but it was being blown away rather quickly too. Not a strong wind, but enough of a breeze.

IMG_4046 by inn8one, on Flickr

Similar shot

Settings 15 sec Æ’/4.5 ISO 200 18 mm

Not zoomed this time, could open the aperture a bit more and lower the ISO but had to bump up the exposure time.

IMG_4043 by inn8one, on Flickr

almost the same as the first shot but much longer exposure 4 sec. first shot, to 30 sec for this one. I was getting cold, I should have stayed and played with the settings more, but I'm a wuss. You can really see the yellow of the lighting with this long exposure. I think I would have liked it with less time, not so yellow or bright. I think it's overexposed.

30 sec Æ’/5.6 ISO 500 55mm

IMG_4045 by inn8one, on Flickr

FG167

Attempt number one just finished. Would like to come out Saturday night and try a different area for attempt number two.

Equinox

Augh. I wish I had my tripod with me here - not sure how I'm going to manage long exposure without one.

Snark

Mutts to you
Augh. I wish I had my tripod with me here - not sure how I'm going to manage long exposure without one.
Box? Fence post? Car hood? Do you have a remote? I used a box and a couple of phone books to photograph Riley half in shadow because my tripod was too tall for the angle I wanted.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I'm not participating in this, but I just wanted to pop in and say all of the photos so far have been wonderful! I'm really excited for this weeks.

FG167

Ok, I am not going to get to do the second attempt due to the ice storm that just hit...I don't think. I suppose if I do, then I can post those somewhere else for everyone to see.

I went to a local place that I go to run that is close to my work. A cop stopped us and wanted to know why we were skulking around the park after dark (not allowed) but he was nice enough to give me five minutes to set up my two shots.

I am struggling with the exposure on my camera - I am using the meters correctly but it consistently is just a smidge too under-exposed...I am working on learning that. Anyway, I did lighten up the exposure on both of these, crop them and slap my copyright on them. I didn't do anything else with them though.

I like my first shot a load better! We might even print it off and frame it :)

Settings: shutter 15 sec, iso 200, f/5.6

Second style.

Settings: shutter 1.6 sec, iso 1250, f/5.6

Members online

No members online now.