oh what to do???

my mother in law has a miniature yorkshire terrier called bambi, this wee soul is tiny, about the size of a chi.
she is getting old now and along with the fact that my mil doesnt really take good care of her dogs(she had 3 chi's last year who were all old and she waited for them to die in pain rather than spend some cash at a vet) this little mite is ill.
she is completely blind, has no teeth left and lies in a bed all day every day not moving, i have never said this about any dog before but in my oppinion she should be put to sleep.
my jack russell dog lives there purely to keep bambi company after the chi's died and although she is taking him for walks etc she doesnt seem to care for poor bambi. before she got this bad i offered to take her but mil refused saying she loves her too much!
last year(bambi aged 12) she accidentaly locked bambi outside where a stray terrier caught her and poor bambi had to have an abortion and was very ill from it all. the problem now is that bambi is at deaths door and in obvious pain and discomfort and nothing is being done, for a start if my dog had lost all its teeth id be buying special soft feed and trying to get her to eat but bambi is losing weight by the day as a result of a bowl of hard feed beiong left out daily! she cant even get up to have a drink.
just before the wedding i was clapping her and realised every nail was curled round and sticking into her foot, it took me about an hour to cut them and prize them out of her skin and i had to bathe her feet in salty water to stop the bleeding.
so what can i do? i doubt anything really apart from keep telling her to take bambi to the vets

Richie12345

Be firm with her, that's all I can say. Hopefully others will give you better advise good luck

luvmydogs

tell her to look at bambi, and ask her what she sees. if she realizes what happened to bambi, or if shes just blocking it out.if she thinks its even fair to let bambi live in that condition. ask her how would she feel if she was bambi? and if she tells you that she loves bambi too much, ask her why she would let her nails grow that long and why she didnt cut them, if she obviously loves her so much. i know its hard to lose a pet, but she eventually is going to have to deal with it. if u have the $$ for it, and she does not, offer her to take bambi to the vet.just tell her in a nice way, and ask a lot of questions. the more u ask, the more she will realize whats really going on. if u dont wanna do it, ask your husband to. please keep us updated...oh and the reason she waits for them to die at home...maybe she would rather have them home.you know like people want to die at home. if she just dont care, than thats a diff. story.then she shouldnt even have any more dogs.

bubbatd

This is sad !!! How old is your MIL ??? I have a neighbor like this who really doesn't vet...then when her animals die, she whails to me.....I'll cut her dogs nails for her, but the female she has now has a HUGE tumor at her vagina . Said she can't afford a vet.!!!! Yet, when her beloved Koko dies .....she'll ask me to help bury her.

bubbatd

P.S. I love my ElinHunter and she made this sig......a surprise to me. I love my Chip and Nash, but I wouldn't be smiling over this post ...it's sad !!

Ash47

Taco Dog
This is terrible Bassett. But Kudos to you for trying to do something about it. Tell her you will bring your dogs over or something to let her have some animal company after Bambi is put down, because it is obviously time. Maybe she just wants company. I don't know. I can't figure out why people allow animals to get in this condition.
So, this ppor dog was never altered?? How terribly sad. IF I breed Roxy, and that is only an IF, she will be fixed before she even hits 5. A dog just shouldn't have to live through that. It cause them several problems. I know you know this. I just wish there was somehow we could think of together to tell your mil that this just isn't what Bambi deserves.

Members online

No members online now.