My Own Agility Class

T

tessa_s212

You can either answer the questions or not, that is your choice. I have not belittled you nor bashed you. I have not been rude, nor have I called you names etc. You are the one that is getting defensive. So instead of being defensive prove your knowledge.

Take care
Lynn
It was not me that said this:

it clearly shows your lack of knowledge.

adojrts

RVP- Reverse Flow Pivot (false turn)
L0P- Lead out Pivot
FC- Front Cross (should be executed as close to the next obstacle as possible (in front), or once the dog has committed to the previous obstacle, should be avoided on straight lines if possible, used to tighten lines and increase speed, i.e dog driving to handler).
RC-rear cross
V-set- pushing the dog out in between obstacles to create a tighter, faster line to other obstacles.

Hey, the only reason I said what I did i.e 'clearly a lack of knowledge', was because up until that point, you were not answering the questions, therefore at that time concluding a lack of knowledge. Ok so you know SOME stuff, kudo to you for that, but sorry I m not sold on it. And the main reason for that is your ego. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, especially when you repeatedly state how much better you are than others.
The best instuctors and competitors are usually humble.
Good luck
Lynn

T

tessa_s212

RVP- Reverse Flow Pivot (false turn)
L0P- Lead out Pivot
FC- Front Cross (should be executed as close to the next obstacle as possible (in front), or once the dog has committed to the previous obstacle, should be avoided on straight lines if possible, used to tighten lines and increase speed, i.e dog driving to handler).
RC-rear cross
V-set- pushing the dog out in between obstacles to create a tighter, faster line to other obstacles.

Hey, the only reason I said what I did i.e 'clearly a lack of knowledge', was because up until that point, you were not answering the questions, therefore at that time concluding a lack of knowledge. Ok so you know SOME stuff, kudo to you for that, but sorry I m not sold on it. And the main reason for that is your ego. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, especially when you repeatedly state how much better you are than others.
The best instuctors and competitors are usually humble.
Good luck
Lynn
Okay, yes, then. I know what those are.

You can call me names, but that doesn't make it true. If you go back and read some of my other responses, you will be able to see I'm not the egotistical person you seem think I am.

As for being better than others, it isn't bragging, it isn't even egotistical. I don't enjoy them not being good trainers nad handlers. That is why I'm offering to teach them what I know. If they eventually end up being much better than me and winning over me in classes and such, I would not care. I would be happy for them! Egotistical people don't have that attitidue.

Please go back and read my explanation. My trainers that I've had the longest are far from knowledgeable in agility and teach many things wrongly. So of course people in my club that have not ventured out like I have to learn more won't be as good a trainer or handler in agility.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tessa_s212

I'm not so sure this thread is going in a very good direction.

I understand people's concerns. I am young. I know when I here of other jrs offering classes, despite that Iknow there is a whole community of us out there that do instruct classes(and some even get paid), that question still arises in your mind if they truly are experienced enough to teach.

I am NOT a professional trainer. I do not kow if it is the direction I will go even years and years down the road. But I do know if becoming a professional trainer every interested me, it would not be for a very long time. I have had bad experiences with trainers, and I would never want a future student to have that same experience. If training were to be in my future, you'd bet that I'd be traveling and assisting under a great number of trainers, going to seminars, reading books and books nad more books, and doing everything possible to learn everything I can and gain experience enough to be confident in both sports as well as behavioral problems. While I do address adn work with many of hte common behavioral problems found in shelter dogs, I still have tons more experience and knoweldge to gain.

With all that said, I still would like to think with the experience I do have, that i have enough to teach obedience and agility to other young individuals, and even the occasional adult. Perhaps not the most advanced of levels(though I do compete, I don't teach those, ..don;'t have students with dogs in that level, and would recommend that they find a real trainer for that advanced stuff), but I can adn will continue to teach the basics and encourage people to use positive reinforcement.

And, as a final note, I am going to also mention that I DO recommend these people to trainers first. But manyl do not have the money to afford the gas and classes farther away. I'm hoping they do eventually go to a real class, but its a slow progress. You must first convince them that the methods, time, and cost of the class is worth it, and by showing them how well positive reinforcement works, paired with actually teaching handling techniques, they might eventually take the step to venture away from teh abusive training club such as I have.
Here, read this for one.

adojrts

Where did I ever call you a name?? please quote me.
Now, I re-read your post, that sounds wonderful and it does sound like your intentions are true. I apologize for missing it earlier.

Good luck
Lynn

T

tessa_s212

Where did I ever call you a name?? please quote me.
Now, I re-read your post, that sounds wonderful and it does sound like your intentions are true. I apologize for missing it earlier.

Good luck
Lynn
adojrts, I do believe the word "ego" was said, as well as other things that were more of just an indirect insult.

But oh well. If you're over it, I'm over it. :)

adojrts

Tessa,
I tried reply to your PM but it wouldn't let me, so I will reply here. What are you talking about? I have no clue and none of it makes sense to me. For the record I DO NOT hold a grudge against you or anyone else on this forum.
Take care
Lynn

So, if anyone has any course plans, or think they could help me find a
good one for these purposes, that'd be great! :) Any suggestions are
welcome.
Personally, I would be doing control and handling exercises only with pups... leave the equipment for when they grow a bit. On the subject of safety can I suggest you either tether, or crate dogs that are not being worked - I can see a cocker? wondering around the equipment whilst another dog is running in the vid.

I have a heap of stuff that I have either borrowed from courses at trials, or made up to practice something specifically. For club training I have two basic setups... An agility course in one area with a GD box with a few bits stuck off the side in the other, OR a jumpers course in one area with contact work in the other... drop me a PM if you want me to send anything through (courses are for ANKC rules).

Cleanrun mag has a heap of interesting exercises if you haven't already found them:
http://www.cleanrun.com/exercises/exarchive.cfm

Dogpatch a collection of courses:
http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/courses/

T

tessa_s212

Personally, I would be doing control and handling exercises only with pups... leave the equipment for when they grow a bit. On the subject of safety can I suggest you either tether, or crate dogs that are not being worked - I can see a cocker? wondering around the equipment whilst another dog is running in the vid.

I have a heap of stuff that I have either borrowed from courses at trials, or made up to practice something specifically. For club training I have two basic setups... An agility course in one area with a GD box with a few bits stuck off the side in the other, OR a jumpers course in one area with contact work in the other... drop me a PM if you want me to send anything through (courses are for ANKC rules).

Cleanrun mag has a heap of interesting exercises if you haven't already found them:
http://www.cleanrun.com/exercises/exarchive.cfm

Dogpatch a collection of courses:
http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/courses/
During classes and practices all dogs are crated or tied up. During my own at home classes in my own fenced in back yard, all the dogs are free to roam whereever they'd like. The rest of the dogs tend to stay off the course area when I'm practicing.

The puppies are both 7+ months old. They've been both doing contact equipment from their first agility practice, sadly, at my trainer's classes. By backing up and simply doing planks, wobble boards, and other exercises I'm doing these dogs a big favor.

I've been wanting the cleanrun for a few years now. Haven't gotten around to getting it quite yet.

thankyou for the links.

Members online

No members online now.