Thanksgiving

milos_mommy

American Thanksgiving is less than 2 weeks away! What is everyone planning to do? Any recipes anyone wants to share? Cute decorations? Etc.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I was supposed to go to my mom's house in GA, but since her and my step dad are getting divorced I don't feel up to having the whole broken family get together just yet. So... Josh and I are going to do Thanksgiving with his family at his sisters house

CaliTerp07

Heading up to Zach's aunt and uncle's place outside of Baltimore.

I really don't like Thanksgiving, so it's never anything I look forward to. I'm glad that I won't be expected to spend the night up there this year though! We'll just go up for a few hours and then I'll get to sleep in my own bed :)

Heading to my mom's this year. I am making what everyone requests of me, and something I dont actually eat lol. Its a sweet potato and cranberry bake (topped with granola).

Grab

I work. Although I'm just the kennel minion this time, rather than being on call. (my coworker likes to steal all of the on call days) So, I'll just go in twice on Thanksgiving and twice the day after, plus a normal weekend schedule. I don't mind, I'll enjoy the extra cash :)

We don't usually do a traditional Thanksgiving meal, since it's just us (our family is 1600 miles away). One year we did waffles, lol. One year we did a ham, etc. And last year we had a traditional Thanksgiving meal with friends. I am fine with turkey, but my enjoyment isn't enough to make me want to COOK a turkey (or turkey breast). Plus, we had a really gross ill turkey at work that's pretty much put me off anything turkey for awhile. So, if we do anything at all like a more traditional Thanksgiving, we'll probably do a ham again.

No autumn or Thanksgiving decorations here. We're buzzkills apparently, lol.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We don't really celebrate it traditionally (turkey and all) but I am going home :) this will be the last big family get together until this summer so that's exciting!

Usually we order food in or my mom makes her famous spaghetti! lol which certainly isn't traditional thanksgiving food but it wouldn't be a family gathering without it

Last year my brother made pancakes lol so we had a breakfast thanksgiving! It was awesome!

milos_mommy

I really don't like Thanksgiving, so it's never anything I look forward to.
You don't....like....what? :p What don't you like? The food? The being thankful? The celebrating? The family and friends?

I think I'm going with my immediate family to my Aunt's house. It will just be us. I don't really have anyone to celebrate with otherwise, but I still wish we could be here with the dogs and full sized kitchen.

I do have some issues with Thanksgiving. I would like to celebrate it at the actual harvest for one. And all the pilgrim and Native American stuff gets old...not a fan of turkey or stuffing either. I do like the family part of it, but thats because I enjoy my family.

LindaJD

I love Thanksgiving, one of my favorite days. We are having a full house this year. All the kids and their SO's, my dad and my sister in law whom I haven't seen in a year and miss her so much and the best of all is my new grand daughter will be here too. My husband does a lot of the cooking and the kids do all the clean up. All I do is cook the Turkey. Love having the whole family in the house at the same time.

CaliTerp07

You don't....like....what? :p What don't you like? The food? The being thankful? The celebrating? The family and friends?

I think I'm going with my immediate family to my Aunt's house. It will just be us. I don't really have anyone to celebrate with otherwise, but I still wish we could be here with the dogs and full sized kitchen.
The food, most of all. I don't like Turkey or stuffing or cranberries or green beans or mashed potatoes. I eat bread and if I'm lucky, salad (though the last few years there hasn't been any salad). I've started eating before I go so that I am not hungry all night! I asked to host it this year so that I could cook things that I actually liked, but I was turned down (it doesn't make sense to ask everyone to travel to us--instead we're the only ones who have to travel to go up north).

The family thing is fine, but we get together enough with the East coast side that it's not a big deal. We have family meals at least once a month for a birthday or holiday or celebration of some kind. Thanksgiving meal is no different, except that the food stinks! And since it's only a 4 day weekend, it's not enough time to go out to visit my family in California, so that's never an option. (Even if I wanted to go for a super short trip, tickets would cost $800...)

And thankfulness is great--I just could do without the holiday :D

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
The actual Thanksgiving Day celebration is a little up in the air right now. We were planning on going to my in-law's place in Rehobeth Beach, but we don't know if they are able to host now (following Sandy). They are down there this week assessing damage and doing cleanup.

If that falls through, I may end up hosting this year, which gives me an excuse to use my smoker again :)

But this coming weekend (the 17th) my church is doing a Thanksgiving Dinner "1970's style" (the theme is the 70's, so bell bottoms, disco, etc.). I'm baking for that and if I can get the day off of work on Friday, probably butchering turkeys (deboning and such) for cooking on Saturday.

CaliTerp07

I LoOoOve Thanksgiving food.

You could make a dish you do like and bring it?
Yeah, one year I brought a potato and asked to microwave it so I could have a baked potato, and my MIL looked so offended! I probably should just volunteer to bring a salad, but it's easier and less offensive to the host/ess to just eat a PB&J in the car on the way there, and pick at enough food to make it look like I ate something.

I'm really not a super picky eater, but somehow Thanksgiving combines all my least favorite foods into one meal. The only way they could make it worse is to replace the Turkey with fish, lol.

I do enjoy pumpkin and apple pie, however :)

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Yeah, one year I brought a potato and asked to microwave it so I could have a baked potato, and my MIL looked so offended! I probably should just volunteer to bring a salad, but it's easier and less offensive to the host/ess to just eat a PB&J in the car on the way there, and pick at enough food to make it look like I ate something.

I'm really not a super picky eater, but somehow Thanksgiving combines all my least favorite foods into one meal. The only way they could make it worse is to replace the Turkey with fish, lol.

I do enjoy pumpkin and apple pie, however :)
If it's a constant and known thing in your family that you don't like turkey, it's not unreasonable for them to prepare something they know you'll like. I do that all the time with some of the cousins. It's just being a good host.

CaliTerp07

If it's a constant and known thing in your family that you don't like turkey, it's not unreasonable for them to prepare something they know you'll like. I do that all the time with some of the cousins. It's just being a good host.
Maybe so, but I'm not going to go telling my husband's aunt and uncle that I want them to throw a chicken breast in the oven with the turkey! I would feel really rude asking for that. If they offered, I'd be thrilled...but I won't demand it. Easier to just eat ahead of time--last year was the first time I did it, and I enjoyed the holiday way more than prior years!

Lyzelle

Jin isn't home for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Not a huge Thanksgiving person here, though. No family or close friends on my side or DH's side. I'm not cooking a ton of food for hours on end so it can get eaten by two people in 10 minutes and leave me with a shitload of dishes. Not worth it. Not to mention, I don't like turkey. Love ham. Jin doesn't like ham. Loves turkey.

So I make my Drunk Ham for me. Just a regular ham, cover it in about a third to half a bottle of SoCo and let it slow cook it's way to mouth-watering amazing.

Then I make Jin's turkey, seasoned as is typical. Rosemary, butter, poultry seasoning, etc...

I might make an Apple Crisp and then whatever other one or two dishes Jin wants. And that's it.

Members online

No members online now.