Tamaskans?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I know we had a thread about them earlier, but it was awhile ago and I thought I'd see if there was any new information/experiences from anyone.

Long story short, my boyfriend really likes "wolf" type dogs and I've been casting around trying to find a breed we would both be satisfied with. I want a certain character traits, he wants a certain look. He adores Huskies, Malamutes, and has a soft spot for wolf hybrids after growing up with one. I am NOT a fan of Huskies and would not willingly own one, I love Malamutes but the dog aggression, prey aggression, no-off leash ability, and energy level wouldn't work out now, and I am NOT going to get a wolf hybrid, period.

I had heard Tamaskans mentioned before and so I've been looking up on them. I joined the breed forum and got a lot of my questions answered. From what they told me, they sound like they would be a good fit for what we both want. I wish they had a little bit more guarding instinct than what they do, but hey, you can't have everything. :p

But, I was just curious about other people's experiences with them, if any at all.

milos_mommy

I know nothing about tamaskans, but if your bf would be willing to get an adult dog from rescue...there might be an atypical husky you could get along with.

I find many huskies really difficult to work around, and a lot of them, especially the more northern, racing types, seem really....wild. However, I've met a couple of show-bred or pet-bred huskies who were more like golden retrievers in husky clothing. Still a tad bit more stubborn than a more biddable breed, but affectionate and friendly and outgoing and way more trainable using my methods than some of the other huskies I've known.

*blackrose

I know nothing about tamaskans, but if your bf would be willing to get an adult dog from rescue...there might be an atypical husky you could get along with.

I find many huskies really difficult to work around, and a lot of them, especially the more northern, racing types, seem really....wild. However, I've met a couple of show-bred or pet-bred huskies who were more like golden retrievers in husky clothing. Still a tad bit more stubborn than a more biddable breed, but affectionate and friendly and outgoing and way more trainable using my methods than some of the other huskies I've known.
Oh, I've met some nice Huskies, too. A neighbor I used to dog sit for (before they moved away) had a Husky. He was a great dog and I adored him.

All in all, however, I just don't prefer Huskies. Much like I don't prefer Dalmatians, Weimaraners, or hounds...I like them just fine, and I have individuals of the breed I like, I just wouldn't care to ever own one. If we stumbled across a nice adult dog that we both liked I wouldn't turn it down, but I don't think I'll ever really seek one out.

The Tamaskans seem to be a good fit because, from what I've managed to gather, they are healthy, athletic, but not hyper, trainable, smart, able to live with small animals, dog friendly, people friendly, and very social.

monkeys23

Just keep in mind that a Northern breed is still a Northern breed. :)

I can't imagine living without a sled dog of some sort, but I'm not normal. :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
There is SO much controversy surrounding them, not to mention about 3 different names for the same dog.

Northern Inuit is the main type/name/strain/whatnot in the UK, and they're becoming quite popular. I have to say out of the ones I have met they're pretty nice dogs. Not too mad, not too dull. But this has only been fleeting meetings on walks.

*blackrose

Just keep in mind that a Northern breed is still a Northern breed. :)

I can't imagine living without a sled dog of some sort, but I'm not normal. :)
Yes, but it seems like they are much less..."northern breed-ish" than other northern breeds. :p Many of the traits I could care less for in northern breeds seem to be "dumbed down" in Tamaskans. Prey drive, activity level, trainablity, etc. From what I've gathered from their owners, they have a lot less prey drive (still present, but acceptable of family animals), their activity level isn't over the top, and they are fairly responsive to training.

There is SO much controversy surrounding them, not to mention about 3 different names for the same dog.

Northern Inuit is the main type/name/strain/whatnot in the UK, and they're becoming quite popular. I have to say out of the ones I have met they're pretty nice dogs. Not too mad, not too dull. But this has only been fleeting meetings on walks.
Yes, I was wondering about the whole Northern Inuit/Utonagan/Tamaskan thing...also from what I've managed to gather, they started off as Northern Inuits, but then due to breed politics the club split and the Utonagan was formed...then also due to breed politics, there was another split and the Tamaskan was created. Even though they all came from the same original stock, the Tamaskan has had other lines added to it that the others doesn't have, as well has having a (slightly) different breed standard, as well has a more strict health testing protocol for all breeding stock.

cliffdog

Northern Inuits and Utonagans are not the same thing as Tamaskans. Saying they are is like saying that AmStaffs, APBTs, and English Bull Terriers are all the same.

cliffdog

Yes, I was wondering about the whole Northern Inuit/Utonagan/Tamaskan thing...also from what I've managed to gather, they started off as Northern Inuits, but then due to breed politics the club split and the Utonagan was formed...then also due to breed politics, there was another split and the Tamaskan was created. Even though they all came from the same original stock, the Tamaskan has had other lines added to it that the others doesn't have, as well has having a (slightly) different breed standard, as well has a more strict health testing protocol for all breeding stock.
Exactly. To promote more genetic diversity and therefor better health, outcrosses were made into the Tamaskan breed.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Northern Inuits and Utonagans are not the same thing as Tamaskans. Saying they are is like saying that AmStaffs, APBTs, and English Bull Terriers are all the same.
Not even remotely. They're much much closer than any if those examples.

Members online

No members online now.