How much do you spend a month?

Demonic Angels

always raining
Just wondering on average how much (per dog) everyone spends a month on food (commercial or otherwise)?
(~that's such bad english!! sorry!~)

Roxy's CD

OK, so I spend about:

$70 on dry food (eagle pack, holistic select chicken)
$150 on canned food $2.50/can *they each get one a day, half in the morning half at night

so $220, that's not including their treats or their "desserts" which we've just decided to get regularaly the other day.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
One 33lb bag of Innova lasts me two months, and I pay $45 for that. So a month is roughly $22.50.

Roxy's CD

A 33lb bag last you two months!!?!? Really??? You've got two dogs... How does that work...

I go through 33lb bags approx. a month.. They're not overweight either... and it never looks like their eating a lot...

Maybe now since I'm feeding canned I'll go through less kibble...

That's messed up, I'll have to re-evaluate their feeding schedules...

elegy

overdogged
it cost me $37 for 40 pounds of canidae today. that'll last me two months or so, give or take.

i don't really keep track of what i spend on raw stuff- i just buy them what's on sale cheap at the grocery store. maybe $30/month?

MayasMom

A 33lb. bag of Eagle Pack at about $22 will last almost 2 months. She also gets canned, 1/4 of a can each night, just to mix into the dry food. That's about $15 a case and will last us a month and a half. So a little over $18.50 a month. Lucky for me Maya is only 35lbs. That keeps the food bill down.

Roxy's CD

Wow. Am I ever getting ripped off... The average for a 33lb bag of Eagle Pack, Natural Balance or Wellness is $70 here... I'm in Canada though that may be why...

The guy gives me "deals" sometimes $2 a can, but apparently that's not a deal, we can't buy full cases here either.

Hrmph, I've got nowhere else to go for it... Arg, does that ever made me mad.

Demonic Angels

always raining
Roxy,
I'm in Canada too and I know it feels like we're totally losing out here...
I'm paying $20 for a 3kg bag of Evo RM with some cans thrown in right now...plus a $37 bag of Natural Balance mixed with cans (which we buy at the case for $43)...We're ranging around the $120 mark for two dogs. (then you add the outrageous taxes Canada has... )grrrr

Toller_08

Roxy's CD, compared to the US it does seem that food over here is much more expensive than it is there for some reason.

I only pay for Tango's food, and I just switched her to California Natural Herring & Sweet Patato. It costs me about $60.00 for one 36lb bag, and it'll probably last her about a month and a half or maybe 2 months. She also gets California Natural canned food (both lamb & rice, & chicken & rice) which cost about $2.50/can and she goes through about 8-10 cans a month depending on how much a give her at each meal. So, all together it costs me about $110.00 to feed her each month. Less, during the months that I don't have to buy the kibble obviously. As far as treats go, I buy cookies in bulk and it costs me about $1.30 for a pound and those are for all four dogs. I don't really care as much about the nutritional value of cookies as I do kibble, because its just a treat that they get occasionally. Most of the time they get carrots or a qurter of an apple for a treat.

My mom spends about $45.00 for a 44lb bag of Nutro Natural Choice Chicken meal, rice & oatmeal formula twice a month for the other three dogs and about $2.10/can of Natural Balance and she gets about 10 of those monthly. So all together, thats about $111.00 a month.

I didn't include tax in any of those though, so its actually more.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Roxy's CD said:
A 33lb bag last you two months!!?!? Really??? You've got two dogs... How does that work...
Sawyer is the only one that consistantly eats out of that bag, though Aubrey does get quite a bit of it. I'm not sure how my food bill is going to look now that I've got Virgo...I know that she's not going to be fed Innova at my Grandma's, so I need to find out what they are going to feed her. Right now she's on Iams, which is relatively cheap.

Roxy's CD

OK, so Canada wise, what I pay is average.. Whatever i can't do anything about that, but if it was just the pet store I go to.. GRR! LOL

I wasn't paying as much when we weren't doing the canned food thing, but with Roxy having to take pills I thought it would be a nice brekkie for them. LOL

It costs me $32 for 17lbs of Natural Balance Potato & Duck. I have to pick up a bag about every other week. However, for every 10 bags I buy at Petco I do get a free bag.:)

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
We're the cheap ones here- $20 for 40 pound bag of Kasco Hi-Energy. Go through 80 lbs a month, for 7 dogs, 5 pups. So about $40 a month. The price varies though. All depends on the gas prices. This last time it was $20, a month ago it was only $17.

DanL

We have 3 dogs on a raw diet and spend about 100 per month. I used to keep a spreadsheet which was good for tracking total cost, but some items we get would carryover longer than a month so it was hard to get a true month by month idea. I'd have to inventory each week out and then calculate the costs out to really get an accurate picture. It seems to average about 100 a month though. We go through about 32lbs of meat/bones per week, a dozen eggs, and a pound of liver.

L

LabBreeder

I'd say about $20 for a 50 lb bag ( I think...don't wanna get up and look :p ). A bag of bone treats usually last for a month or so since they don't get one (or two...or more :) ) a day. I guess about $20/ month on average.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Every month I buy 2 bags of Innova Evo the 13.2 lb size and they are $22 including tax. I use one whole bag and about a quarter of the second bag (but we only make on trip to the petstore a month) so I spend about $30 on kibble a month. We also add can Evo to both her meals (she gets 1/2 a can a day) and the cans here cost 1.50 and we buy 16 cans a month so thats about $24 on canned. So for her kibble and canned every month it costs me $54 bucks (give or take a buck or two). Then I also buy her 2 bags of the Canidae snap biscuits which run about $4 a bag so that's $8 I spend on her treats so I spend a little over $60 a month on food for her.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow, labbreeder, $20 is super inexpensive for 2 large dogs! I thought I was a bargain-hunter :p!

I have the same problem as DanL... a lot of what I buy is one type of meat or cut (such as just chicken quarters, just lamb cuts) in 10-20 lbs, so each will last way over a month because I mix up their Raw meats so much. I spend around $30 per month to feed both dogs, I'm guessing... that includes supplements. I also buy a medium bag of California Natural, which only costs $10 for me (discount! what what), and lasts about 2 months because I feed it as 25% of Fozzie's intake. Gonzo almost never eats kibble.

$36 for a 40# bag lasts about a month. Then I buy natural balance food rolls that costs about $7 for a 4lb roll (maybe 5-6 a month, I train alot). And for the puppy he gets canned food as well that costs $1 a can (he's so skinny).

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
poodlesmom said:
It costs me $32 for 17lbs of Natural Balance Potato & Duck. I have to pick up a bag about every other week. However, for every 10 bags I buy at Petco I do get a free bag.:)
They do that with the foods at the pet supplies plus that I shop at. Except I always start on the frequent buyers program and I'll buy three or four bags of something then switch. I hope to be able to follow through with the Evo and earn my free bag though!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Roughly $30 a month, including some organic stuff (which usually is a little more expensive) and factored cost for supplements such as fish oil, coconut oil, vitamin E, probiotics and kelp powder.

My dog weighs 28 pounds and gets an average of 850 kcal per day, not including training treats. Calculated over 30 days that's about the equivalent of a 13.2 pound bag of Innova Evo (the second largest size), which would cost me about $23 including tax.

Members online