Guess what Josh might get me for my birthday this year?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ok my birthday isn't until August so it's a little ways off, but first off he might build me a stacked snake cabinet that can hold about 5 snakes. We will eventually be getting another corn snake when we breed our bloodred but that won't be for probably at least two years unless I find a female that fits my breeding plan with him at a steal price before then.

Josh knows how much I love boas. My only issue is they can get HUGE and I don't want a snake that is too big for me to handle on my own. I started looking into smaller boa species and I've fallen in love with Hog Island Boas. They usually top out between 5-7 feet (usually stay less than 6 feet though) which is small for a full grown boa.

I have an extra 30 gallon tank that would house a baby hoggie for a while until he/she is large enough to be moved up. By then Josh will have built a custom setup for me to upgrade the snake into.

If he gets me a hog I will be pretty excited. It's been pretty awesome having snakes in my life again and I forgot how addicting they are. It's pretty easy to have multiples since they are generally easy to keep and fairly inexpensive to feed and care for. No wonder people on the snake forums I'm on easily have 20 snakes or more. Josh would kill me if we had that many though so we're limiting how many snakes we will have aside from an occasional clutch here and there when we breed the corns.

This is what a hog island boa looks like. This hoggie is owned by one of the people on the corn snake forum I'm on. He's about 9 months old now I believe.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Congrats! I hope you're able to get one! I've never been a fan of snakes before, but in the past year I've thought they were really cool, and have considered owning one in the future. I may never actually get one, but I think it would be cool. They're such beautiful animals.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
If you decide at some point you want to try owning one I'd suggest a cornsnake as a good starter snake. They are hardy little snakes, small and very docile when handled often. I love my corns and I don't think I will ever be without a corn or two.

I talked to Josh about getting the hog island boa for my birthday and he pretty much ok'd it as long as we are all moved into our new place by then.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Cool, thank you! I figured if I ever got one I'd definitely get a corn. They don't bite do they? I've seen pictures of Violet corn snakes and I totally want one lol!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Corns are capable of biting but they don't have fangs the way rattlesnakes do. I got bit by my female once but it was completely my fault. I reached in and grabbed her startling her so she struck at me. It hurts a little but not that bad. The more you get them used to handling thr less likely they are to ever strike. It also helps to feed them in a separate bin so they don't associate you reaching into their tank with food.

Paige

Let it be
What a cute snake. I always wanted one growing up but I think I've ruled them out as a future pet. Instead I will live through you.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I got the ok from Josh. There's a breeder that breeds hoggies that I was told to check out. This guy wrote two popular books on boas and he has nothing but stellar reviews on the BOI. The BOI is a place for people in the reptile/herp world to write reviews on different breeders. If you post a negative review you have to provide proof... Pic/scan of your receipt... Screen shots of convos between you and the breeder. If an animal arrives sick or dead then pic or video proof of such. Most reptile/herp breeders ship.

Anyways, this guy is the best in the boa business from what I'm told and he is one of the few remaining breeders that still breed 100% true hog islands. A lot of breeders are mixing them in with red tail boas, etc. His price for one is totally affordable and he is expecting his next litter in July. My birthday is in August so that will work out perfectly.

I gave the breeder a tentative yes I want one. The only thing that makes it 100% that I'm getting one depends on where we move. I already have an extra tank for this snake though eventually Josh is going to build me a setup that will house it as an adult once it grows up.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I was seriously looking into getting a smaller type boa not that long ago - they are great :D

I still might get one in the future, but my OH hates snakes :p

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ya I like the bigger ones but worry about them getting too big for me to handle on my own. My husband isn't afraid of snakes, but he doesn't exactly jump at the chance to.handle them either. Sticking with a smaller boa is definitely the smarter choice. The hog islands are SO adorable in my opinion. Love their coloring. Hoping I get one that is speckless or near speckless. It just depends on what turns up in the litter and if one of the ones I like seems to be friendlier. I asked the breeder to help select one of the friendlier babies for me when it comes time.

Tahla9999

Awesome, how much do they go for? Not that I want one, not a snake person, just curious.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
The breeder I'm getting one from quoted me about $265 for one. Different breeders have different prices and it depends on which ones you get. I think with the hog islands, the less speckling the more expensive they tend to be. You also have to factor in shipping if you have one shipped to you which is super common among herp/reptile breeders. Shipping can wind up being another 30-60 or so since its usually overnight and because they have to pack them a certain way for obvious safety reasons.

M

mutts

That's really exciting. I'm going through the same situation actually. My hubby decided that he is going to get me a ball python for my birthday (August)!!! I have corn snakes and I absolutely love them as well... they are so sweet!

Members online

No members online now.