Breeding tiny dogs...

Slightly OT, but I came across an article the other day about the official world's smallest dog in the Guinness Book of World Records. It's six inches long and full grown. INSANE.
That was a little Yorkie...I think..from somewhere in the UK.

He came from 2 normal sized parents I believe, he was actually on Oprah. He looked more like a dust bunny on the stage.:p

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
That was a little Yorkie...I think..from somewhere in the UK.

He came from 2 normal sized parents I believe, he was actually on Oprah. He looked more like a dust bunny on the stage.:p
I saw that dog too. . .:p they compared him to the size of a soda can. . .

Sounds to me like she does not have her mind made up about anything. She is consulting a toy breed vet and is only thinking about it.
That's kinda what I got out of it. Sounded to me like she was not comfortable jumping to take your advice because she does not know you as well as her vet and her breeder. If someone on a forum told me that I shouldn't do this or that with my dog and my vet said it was OK, I would take my vet's advice over theirs. All you can do is hope that her vet gives her the same advice as you did.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥

Is this the one? :D I read that it doesn't sleep in a dog crate, but in a bird cage. WOWSERS.

Who would purposly breed dogs under standard? I know that ANY breeder, good or bad, can get small pups sometimes, but why aim for it? Dogs that small have health issues most of the time. ANYONE who specifically breeds for that, is either very uneducated (meaning they shouldn't be breeding in the first place) or is just an awful person. I hope you can get through to this person.

Last edited:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The chihuahua breed standard is 2-6lbs, but no responsible breeder should breed a chi under 4.5lbs (imho).

This girl doesn't care... she isn't listening to me at all. She is getting an attitude with me now about this. It is just so sad and frustrating, because she has such a high chance of losing her chi if she decides to breed her.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Oh is it? I edited the size out of my post. ;) I'm not familiar with the Chis. I know the Yorkie standard is "must not exceed seven pounds" but I wouldn't breed a female under 4lbs. If 2-6lbs is the standard, they probably intend for the male to be the smaller (2-4lbs) and the females larger(4-6lbs), so they can deliver easier. Good luck convincing her. If she cares about the well-being of her chi, she'll give in hopefully.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The dog should be at least 1lb lighter than the bitch. Even a small dog can throw larger pups, so it is really dangerous to use any dog on a tiny bitch.

I don't understand why BYBs are trying to "breed down" chihuahuas- like they aren't already small enough!

I would love to post pictures of this chi and the stud she wants to use, but I don't want to get in trouble. The stud is only 12-14 weeks old, and is taller than the female.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I don't understand why BYBs are trying to "breed down" chihuahuas- like they aren't already small enough!
My thoughts exaclty. If they aren't small enough for you, then get a hamster or something. That's really the only other furry pet smaller than a chihuahua. lol!!!! :D Again, good luck!!! :) Like I said, if she cares about her dogs, she won't breed them. Tell her about all the dangers of breeding such tiny dogs. ANY female can have complications, and they're worse for such small dogs.

Wow, he's only a pup, and he's ALREADY bigger than the bitch? GEEZE. That should be a clue. Does she understand that such a large male will produce large puppies, and they could KILL the bitch? Chances are these pups, and the female are going to die. Ugh. That's awful. What forum is this at? I'd like to go there and see the pix. You can pm me if you'd like. :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I sent you the link with the picture. Ugh!

I just can't believe how people want such tiny chihuahuas. I met a woman who had a 1.5lb chihuahua and said that it was worth $3500 because it was a "tiny teacup."

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks for the link! Wow, are they ADORABLE!!!! It's too bad that female is going to have to go through that.....:(

:rolleyes: I know it. It's the same in Yorkies. Ridiculous. IMO the smaller ones, if a different price, should be LESS than the larger ones. They're the ones that are more prone to health issues. I guess people will never learn. Although it doesn't hurt any to try and educate. ;)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Would you PM it to me, Jessie? ;) :)
Edit- Jessie already signed off. I'll PM you Lauren.

Last edited:
you should send her a link to this thread.

sad thing is that the "breeder" she came from will probably say "sure! go ahead and breed her! you will just get little bitty pups that you can sell for a ton!" which obviously is horribly wrong.

Man, in cases like this, you almost want something horrible to go wrong just so she understands the huge mistake she is going to make if she does breed. I don't even know much about Chi's and only met one or two in my life and even I know that it should not be bred that small.

AND the male is already passing the size of the female and she is waiting one three months until the next heat? That STILL doesn't make the male old enough to breed does it? I am guessing she is going to have the vet give them a check up to make sure they are healthy to breed and not test and health certify them like they should be BEFORE being bred?

Ignorant people like this make me mad. I hope to GOD that her vet is responsible and says no way to breeding. Even though her BYBer will probably say sure go ahead. RRGG! Just want to slap people like this.

I sent you the link with the picture. Ugh!

I just can't believe how people want such tiny chihuahuas. I met a woman who had a 1.5lb chihuahua and said that it was worth $3500 because it was a "tiny teacup."
That's just disgusting..charging more for "tiny" or "pocket". That amount ($3500) is more likely the amount you have to pay for the first of many medical treatments. People make me sick..:mad:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I am confused as to why people don't read things properly. She said she would not breed if she was told by a professional that she knows and trusts told her not to. Why is everyone on this forum so quick to drag out the pitch forks?

She made it very clear that she would not breed if there was a danger, yet she was still called names and attacked. I am confused with this forum.

Members online

No members online now.